Pouring Concrete Tips

Help Support CattleToday:

pricefarm

Reaction score
Anyone have any good advice on pouring concrete solo. I secluded to pour 13 yards of concrete in a barn I build over the summer tomorrow. I had two friends lined up to help but one got called in to work tomorrow and the other is in quarantine as of yesterday for the COVID. So I guess it will just be me and my 6 year old boy ...

Good job. You must have had a patient truck driver. I did one years ago that was about 8 yards. When the driver showed up he asked questionably " Your all by your self" and din't seem to pleased about it. I thought uh-oh a real jerk but he got over it and went out of his way to help me any way he could. Cool weather helps a lot.

I'm just now seeing this, and when I saw your first line: "Anyone have any good advice on pouring concrete solo." I was going to say "Don't", but I see you got it done. That looks good.

This reminds me of a story one of my former co-workers told me. At one time he had a job driving a mixer truck. He said he showed up at a house one morning with an order of concrete. He didn't see anyone around, so he knocked on the door. A lady answered, and told him to go ahead and pour it out in a certain spot in the yard, and her husband would take care of it when he got home. He tried to explain to her that it would be set up by then, but she kept insisting. He called the dispatcher, who replied that they had paid for it, so go ahead and do what she said.

My co-worker said that after that he'd drive by that house occasionally, and it took quite a while for the guy to get it all broken up and hauled off.

Where you 're leaving it rough like that .....which is all you need with livestock on it.....you can manage pretty good by yourself. When you get into floating it with a bull float and edging it , that can get overwhelming if you have a big area.

Good job. You must have had a patient truck driver. I did one years ago that was about 8 yards. When the driver showed up he asked questionably " Your all by your self" and din't seem to pleased about it. I thought uh-oh a real jerk but he got over it and went out of his way to help me any way he could. Cool weather helps a lot.
Ya the truck driver was my brother in law lol But I still only had a hour to get it all out or his company charged extra

Well done, you've done a great job. The finish is what you want and would be the same even with two helpers for what you want it for. I did some big pours last year for a shed with just my wife and daughter helping and the truck drivers were great, very patient and helpfull in no rush at all for us. I think that is what you get in a small country town. I know in the city they are keen to dump it and run.

When you said 13 yards of concrete I took it that you meant 13 cubic yards but that looks more like 8 sq yards, correct me if I'm wrong. Well done either way.

Ken

Ken

Latest posts