Cold weather tips

Help Support CattleToday:

callmefence

Keyboard cowboy
Reaction score
I've broke a windshield wiper off my truck. Finally got the door open by pouring coffee on the handle , holding it open while I pryed on the door with a hay hook. Poured coffee again on the keypad to my front gate opener. Had the foresight to know I was gonna have trouble with gate latches and locks so I took a propane torch, that worked ok. I've left all gates just wired for now. I've tried all the boots I own. Best I've come up with is a pair of my son's rubber boots, he's a couple sizes bigger with a half dozen socks on.
You northerner's help us out... we're fighting a unfamiliar enemy down here.

Funny you mention your truck door... was a lot of fun here too. Thought when I pulled on it that it was going to remove my gaskets. Ended up bending the bottom of the door, just a little bit. The price I pay for not having a garage I guess.

Don't know know that it would geographically help you @callmefence but for where we are and points points further north I would say relocate further south lol. It's been awful here a quarter inch of ice covering everything. I took a hammer to the outside water spigot to be able to raise the handle. My wife was able to get in the truck the other morning because she didn't close the door all the way. In the past I've nailed pieces of inner tube over the gate fastens.

Woke up to no water in the house, forgot to leave sink dripping. Spent 30 minutes outside with a blow dryer so I could have water to make coffee. It was 5 here with a wind chill of -9. We're a little better set up for it than y'all @callmefence, but not for this cold. 20 is usually as cold as it gets here, tonight is gonna be zero. Cows are eating snow because water in troughs is solid ice, no busting it.

We're having trouble starting diesel trucks. My truck finally got going after several start and dies.

Sons truck started and ran a few seconds died and wouldn't fire. I pulled the filter and blew it out and it started up. But was clean. 6 this morning colder tonight. I'm assuming I need to be putting a additive in??
I've got equipment scattered around on job sites. Everything is good on antifreeze and won't be used till it warms. Will the diesel and def be ok ??

We're having trouble starting diesel trucks. My truck finally got going after several start and dies.

Sons truck started and ran a few seconds died and wouldn't fire. I pulled the filter and blew it out and it started up. But was clean. 6 this morning colder tonight. I'm assuming I need to be putting a additive in??
I've got equipment scattered around on job sites. Everything is good on antifreeze and won't be used till it warms. Will the diesel and def be ok ??
Do the newer diesel trucks not have plug ins to keep a block heater going?

Diesel and DEF will be ok when it warms. Your diesel down there probably isn't blended for.wimter like ours. You could put additive if you can find. Def freezes but will thaw. Our Def tanks have heaters in them.

I've broke a windshield wiper off my truck. Finally got the door open by pouring coffee on the handle , holding it open while I pryed on the door with a hay hook. Poured coffee again on the keypad to my front gate opener. Had the foresight to know I was gonna have trouble with gate latches and locks so I took a propane torch, that worked ok. I've left all gates just wired for now. I've tried all the boots I own. Best I've come up with is a pair of my son's rubber boots, he's a couple sizes bigger with a half dozen socks on.
You northerner's help us out... we're fighting a unfamiliar enemy down here.

Pouring coffee or hot water on things that are frozen will help you get them open, but you can expect it to get worse as you've just added more water so it will ice up thicker next time. You would've been better off with a hair dryer or alcohol, medicinal cleaning type as it will evaporate.

As far as dressing goes, loose layers is much better than bundling up tight. The layer next to your skin is good to be tight, IE t-shirt or long johns tight to skin, then a loose pair of jeans and loose long sleeve shirt next. Then over the top a loose fitting coat and coveralls if you have them. Basically, try to keep air gaps that your body is heating and keeping heated close to your skin. As far as your feet, if you put a 2nd pair of sock on, you want them loose and it's better if your socks are not cotton, cotton absorbs and holds water, once the water, sweaty sock, is cold you're done...you'll never get them warm. You could take a bread bag and put it outside your socks to try to make that "warm air pocket" I described with clothing. The problem with the plastic bag is it won't allow any moisture out, and the worst thing is having wet feet...once they get cold it takes forever to get them warm. Wear a hat and a scarf, heat rises and this will help keep the heat in...

If you have hand warmers, carry 1 or 2 in your pockets and use them on your hands as needed. Blowing on your hands will make them feel warm for a couple seconds, but there is too much water vapor in your breath and they'll get colder faster every time you do it.

Unfortunately good insulated boots are expensive and I doubt you'd want to spend $100 for something that you might only use for the rest of this week. Those old 5 buckle rubber boots that you wear over your shoes can actually be very warm, but they cost money too however you'd probably get more use out of them as they're great when it's muddy or wet.

Last edited:
Leave vehicles unlocked if possible. If locks are frozen, put alcohol on the key and try to get it unlocked. May take multiple times. Heating the key a little may help. Careful if the key has a chip. Cover the lock with a piece of tape prior to the freezing rain/snow. Put a tarp over the vehicle you need most - prior to the weather.
Doors frozen shut - Prevent by applying a thin film of lubricant on the rubber weatherseal. WD40, silicon or vaseline.
Add antigel additive to the diesel before cold weather. Put a heavy tarp/blanket over the vehicle and add a source of heat under the vehicle - smudge pot, hair dryer, propane heater, etc. Takes a while to get it heated up.
Don't park steel or rubber track equipment on wet dirt. Can freeze to the ground at cold enough temps. Park on rock, concrete or wood.
Don't set the parking brake. Brakes can freeze to drum or disks. Blow down the water on air brakes before freezing weather.
Copper pipe can be thawed with an old Lincoln style ac arc welder at a low setting. Clamp the two cables to the two sides of the frozen point and turn the welder on. I have never done this, but have read that it works. Best to only do this on a section with no soldered joints.

Try to keep your water lines from freezing. Something as simple as keeping a faucet open at a fast drip is helpful as moving water doesn't freeze as fast as stationary water. If your water pipes freeze the expansion could make them burst and that will cost you dearly in time and money. They do make sealed electric tank heaters for your water tanks, buy you'd still need find and buy them, plus break out all the ice in the tanks you have now and remove most of it. It's easier to keep water liquid than melt ice back into water.

crumple up newspaper and put it in your boots or shoes when you take them off...it'll absorb the sweat or water in them...change it if it gets damp after a couple hours...it's easier to stay warm when you're dry

If your windshield washer fluid tank is frozen, dump a few ounces of rubbing alcohol in it, it'll thaw within an hour or 2

Latest posts