Dog Question

Help Support CattleToday:

CattleHand

Reaction score
Dual part question here.

First is your dog outdoors or indoors/both.

Second,

My dog lives outside. ocassionally it gets to sleep in the garage when it freezes. But all the other times, rain or shine, it lives out side and just stays outside. My question is my family got togather at my grandparents farm and my dog always ate the scraps they threw out (egg shells, carrot peels, the cat food). My uncles dog only ate its dog food (but its an indoor dog). Any idea how you could get a dog to not eat scraps and such? We also dont feed our dog scraps or table food or anything just dog food. Maybe its just use to the idea if it catches it, it gets to eat it :D .

Mine is outside, too, except on really cold nights. She'll eat anything that's available, including most vegetables. She draws the line at pickles and onions.

I pitch most of the table scraps type stuff in the chicken pen so she can't get to it. The chickens enjoy a little variety, too.

I have one outdoor dog and one indoor dog. The outdoor dog sleeps in the garage in winter. I put an old comforter out there or something and sometimes a heat lamp it is is especially cold. Both eat dog food and scraps. Both will eat anything, although the outdoor dog is less picky.

Why don't you want your dog to eat scraps? I avoid meats that have been marinated for the indoor dog as it tends to give her loose bowels. They both really like pasta. I don't see any problems with feeding scraps and dogfood. My dogs when I was a kid seldom got anything else.

my dog sleeps in the garage year round.in the summer the windows are up so she can get fresh air.an she sleeps on her doggie bed.she eats table scapps an her dog food.but she is real picky about the brand of dog food she eats.

Lammie":1qtg1qxg said:
Why don't you want your dog to eat scraps? I avoid meats that have been marinated for the indoor dog as it tends to give her loose bowels. They both really like pasta. I don't see any problems with feeding scraps and dogfood. My dogs when I was a kid seldom got anything else.

Well I figure some of that cant be good for her. She also eats tissues, klenexs and that such. Thought it was interesting the other dog had no interest in eating my dogs food or the scraps thrown out or anything. The one thing I was surprised my dog wouldnt eat was a rat. Just killed it and left it. Was just curious. Thanks : )

Outdoor, locked in th garage at night during summer and on cold nights in its kennel. We dont feed him table scraps because he is a hunting dog and we dont want him overweight cause out of season he gets to layaround all day and take it easy so he is not burning it off as fast as he puts it on. JSut my thoughts on it tho.

CattleHand":3s5nsjgz said:
Lammie":3s5nsjgz said:

Well I figure some of that cant be good for her. She also eats tissues, klenexs and that such. Thought it was interesting the other dog had no interest in eating my dogs food or the scraps thrown out or anything. The one thing I was surprised my dog wouldnt eat was a rat. Just killed it and left it. Was just curious. Thanks : )

MIne will eat anything as well. I don't give him sharp bones, but the things he comes up eating, I have to wonder why. He won't eat a rat, either. He killed one that was in my rubber boot and just carried it around like a trophy all day. He will kind of eat moles, but not really. Just rolls in them and such. He eats poop, so table scraps don't bother me a lot. He also eats calf starter, horse feed and horse treats.

table scraps arent bad for your dog. be better if they were raw rather than cooked but most scraps dont hurt them a bit. Cooked bones should not be given to them as they splinter badly when chewed. grapes raisins and onions can be fatal to dogs, they contain some toxins that can and will kill them. I raise dogs, mine all get whatever I am having for dinner except for one boxer...she cant have anything other than dog food.
You wont ever convince a dog it shouldnt eat your table scraps, thats just heaven to them lol.

my dog is 7 years old. and the first one ive ever owned (only 19). So its good to know im not hte only one with a dog that eats whatever whenever.

TNMasterBeefProducer":3c8c78yh said:
5minpins":3c8c78yh said:
table scraps arent bad for your dog. be better if they were raw rather than cooked but most scraps dont hurt them a bit. Cooked bones should not be given to them as they splinter badly when chewed. grapes raisins and onions can be fatal to dogs, they contain some toxins that can and will kill them. I raise dogs, mine all get whatever I am having for dinner except for one boxer...she cant have anything other than dog food.
You wont ever convince a dog it shouldnt eat your table scraps, thats just heaven to them lol.

The cattle dog eats skittles, star burst, and pies etc. She even likes to eat grapes. She aint dead yet. Been eating them for 10 years.

good for your dog, I bet she enjoys them too. I bet she read the part where it says CAN BE fatal. Mine all swipe something that isnt good for them on occasion too, none have fallen over dead yet, but I most certainly wouldnt let them have a box of raisins. I did have a GSD that grabbed a herscheys kiss...he seizured within ten minutes. Had a mutt that ate a pound of chocolate, never affected him. metobolisms are different for everyone.

TNMasterBeefProducer":3o2r021a said:
I know they say chocolate is supposed to be deadly to dogs. Well back in the 70's I had a welsh corgi and I left a candy bar sitting on the kitchen table. Some how some way she got up there and ate that hole BIG hershey bar. I got home and there was diahrea and puke every where and the dog was like hi I left you some presents. Peed me off to no end. If I had been able to find the gun I probably would have shot her.

I have no comment.....

I had a doberman that could open doors. She'd paw at a doorknob till she opened it up. Anyway, I forgot to deadbolt the back door once and we were gone for about an hour. I had just baked cookies. Mona let herself and one of my little dogs in, the little dog had gotten up on the table, (I am guessing this because I had punished her for doing it before), pushed the plate of cookies on the floor and she and the dobie had a feast. Fat dogs and lots of crumbs when we got back. Needless to say, they weren't allowed in again for a while.

My dog stays indoors. He goes outside on a dog run, but not for very long. He is spoiled. But he is also a Bloodhound mix, and cannot be fully trusted off lead, so he is pretty restricted.

As far as the scraps go, the only way to get him to not want to eat them, is to not make them available to him. He will eat it, if he can. Just how dogs are.

The "staff" here, (two labs) spend all day outside and nights inside. The beg for table scraps like it was their last meal. :roll: Their absolute favorite time of the year besides hunting season is haying season. They walk the hayfield for hours on end eating mice. Sounds a lot like potato chips. :shock:

Lammie":2wcev3q2 said:
I had a doberman that could open doors. She'd paw at a doorknob till she opened it up. Anyway, I forgot to deadbolt the back door once and we were gone for about an hour. I had just baked cookies. Mona let herself and one of my little dogs in, the little dog had gotten up on the table, (I am guessing this because I had punished her for doing it before), pushed the plate of cookies on the floor and she and the dobie had a feast. Fat dogs and lots of crumbs when we got back. Needless to say, they weren't allowed in again for a while.

LOL!! My bloodhound loves to open doors!! But he opens them to get out! He also likes to let my cats out as well!! I have deadbolt all my doors, when I aint home, otherwise when I get back, he and everyone else will be gone!!

When I had my Siberian Husky (she passed away from natural causes several years ago), she loved to eat carrots, lettuce hearts, pickles, baked potato skins. Also liked regular dog food.

Also had a lab. She passed away from neurological damage several years ago too. She, being a Lab, "Lived to eat"...Labs are always hungry. As a result, they are VERY easy to train using tidbits of food as a reward.

Now my current dog, a terrier/pit mix (a rescue dog) is extremely loyal and follows me everywhere and loves to go for a ride. He will eat dog food, selected table scraps, horse hoof trimmings, cattle poop, and whatever.

All dogs are different.

Now i feel like i didnt completely train my dog wrong all those years ago when i got her. Yea she eats some of the randomest things. And things 5minpins for your information on what can kill a dog. Of all things i would have never believed grapes to be deadly (happy i didnt find out the hard way).

Any tips on keepin a dog out of a garden. My mom wants to start one. I guess always just fence it the garden in real well. We had tomatoes though and she never ate those.

As for dogs, we have 2 weiners ("Whitney" a black & tan and "Macy" a chocolate & tan). They are inside but have a fenced area off our bedroom. A few times they've gotten out of their fence and have gone straight to and killed the nearest cat. So, they are not allowed the "run" of the place or I'd have a MESS. Just the other day I came home, wasn't gone 10 minutes, and the husband says "do something about your dog..." I go looking for "my dog" and find Macy inside my clawfoot tub with blood everywhere... she had gotten out, but the cat she tangled with got her pretty good. When I walked in the bathroom, she's jumping up and down (she's fat) as if to say "MOM!!! GUESS WHAT I DID, GUESS WHAT I DID"!!! I hate that she's that way with cats and wish I'd socialized her better as a pup.

"Tank" is our outside mutt.. he looks like a brindle Irish Setter...really pretty. He's goes off hunting now and then but is usually pretty good about sticking around the house. One day I looked out and he had the BIGGEST squirrel in his mouth... just carrying it around (like someone else said) just like a trophy but man that thing was HUGE!!!

I dont think table scraps are bad for dogs. Id avoid the foods that have proven to have toxic tendencies for dogs though..Id like to give the meat diet to my dogs. A gal on another forum I visit was thinking about shooting an older horse of hers that had little quality of life leftand getting him processed to feed to her dogs..seemed pretty sensible to me..years and years ago, it was considered honorable for an old hunter to be fed to the hounds he had followed.

I have a catahoula hound that I picked up as a starving puppy and shes never quite gotten over the starving dog complex..she has eaten whole bags of hershey kisses, cookies and the time I would have sowrn she was going to die..she ate 4 pounds of raw hamburger I had left on the counter to thaw..along with the wrapping and everything..never hurt her, she must have a stomach made of iron..gotta love them mutts

Latest posts