Dog Bite

Help Support CattleToday:

vetdrchandan

Reaction score
A cow was in heat and bellowing. Nearby dogs were barking on her. One of dog scratches her skin at 3 places with his teeth. The wound was not deep just a scratch. The dog who bite her was definitely not a Rabid dog. He just bite her because of that cow peculiar behavior during heat. My question ----- Should the cow treated like post bite Rabies???? I advised the owner not worry since the dog was not rabid. I also wash the wound with betadine.

I doubt these dogs will just bother ( attack ) your cows just once if let run. Just saying it sounds like a train wreck waiting to happen.

Alan

You did right cleaning it up with betadine. Follow up in the next day or two by taking a temp. If feverish give some antibiotics. Then shoot the dogs.

That dog was a stray dog so definitely he was not vaccinated against Rabies. But that dog is living normal life no any aggressive behavior. What I studied that the rabies virus when comes to saliva of dog than the dog become rabid and have tendency to bite. What I wanna really know that
if Dog is not vaccinated and if he bite any animal just usual and behaves normal apart from that particular bite, Is that bite treated like post bite rabies treatment??????????????

vetdrchandan":3fa2bxag said:
That dog was a stray dog so definitely he was not vaccinated against Rabies. But that dog is living normal life no any aggressive behavior. What I studied that the rabies virus when comes to saliva of dog than the dog become rabid and have tendency to bite. What I wanna really know that
if Dog is not vaccinated and if he bite any animal just usual and behaves normal apart from that particular bite, Is that bite treated like post bite rabies treatment??????????????

What are your laws there regarding this situation ? Why not consult a vet official. If it were here and you could not prove that the dog had been vaccinated against rabies ,it would have it's head cut off and tested .

hillsdown":225lmpmw said:
vetdrchandan":225lmpmw said:

What are your laws there regarding this situation ? Why not consult a vet official. If it were here and you could not prove that the dog had been vaccinated against rabies ,it would have it's head cut off and tested .

I am a veterinarian. That law didn't apply in India.

What I wanna really know that

nah..in all likely hood yer safe...keep an eye on the dog if poss..if not then keep an eye on the cow

Alan":20iqxlhn said:
I doubt these dogs will just bother ( attack ) your cows just once if let run. Just saying it sounds like a train wreck waiting to happen.

Alan
You see this time and time again . . . . Perfectly sweet, respectful dogs at home with their humans and home-based livestock/poultry. Then they leave the place; and either on their own or finding a few other roaming friends, turn into neighborhood mayhem with stock. What's appropriate behavior at home goes out the window next door. Keep YOUR dogs at home. Insist that the neighbors keep THEIR dogs at home. If you impose the SSS rule with their dogs, make sure they won't have to do that with yours.

Tetanus would be the more likely threat after a dog bite, but you as a vet should know that.

Latest posts