Dog bashing the doors

Help Support CattleToday:

Lammie

Reaction score
I have two dogs, one that stays inside and one outside. The outside dog is a long haired dauchshund, standard. He sheds a lot and won't mind his manners, so he stays outside. We play with him and he goes with me when I feed. He has a nice place to sleep in the garage with a head lamp when it gets cold, and a nice dog house where he goes, as well. He weighs about thirty pounds.

He started when he was a puppy, jumping against the storm doors to let us know when he wanted in, he stayed indoors then, and has never stopped, even though he hasn't been indoors for about two years now. He's actually destroyed a door, knocking the metal panel out of the bottom of the door, which we replaced. When he does it, I go out and tell him no, sometimes spanking him with a rolled up paper. But he does this in the middle of the night a lot, scaring the snot out of me, and I think that if I go out after the fact he won't understand why he's being punished. In fact, I think he finds it rewarding because one of us will go out to him when he does it. And in the middle of the night, you aren't going to get out of bed.

I don't want to replace another door. What should I do?

I don't know what it would cost or even if it would work. If you could rig one of the invisable fence systems in front of the door so that when he gets to within a foot of the door he gets a shock from the collar.

I trained mine (at a younger age) to not jump over their fenced yard by putting a hot wire at the top of the fence. He has you trained pretty good like you say, each time he does it he gets some attention.

Letting him come in is not an option. I had to compromise with the husband to get one to stay indoors and she's half the size and short haired, kinda nekkid, really. I have been trying to find him another home with someone who would have the time and patience to train him. He's really dumb as a bag of hammers, really.

well heres the thing he has been jumping against the door to long to retrain him.once they start doing that they are hard to break.your gonna have to live with this prob.

bigbull338":19yj9p3z said:
well heres the thing he has been jumping against the door to long to retrain him.once they start doing that they are hard to break.your gonna have to live with this prob.

He stopped doing it for a while and now he's started it again. I guess I need to re-home him if it isn't going to get any better. Some people don't mind it when half their door is missing. :oops:

harness to keep him from jumping. tie frt and hind legs together. he can walk but cant jump..he'll stop

if i could only get em to stop diggin....

dieselbeef said:
harness to keep him from jumping. tie frt and hind legs together. he can walk but cant jump..he'll stop

if i could only get em to stop diggin....[/quote]

Here is how I got my dogs to stop digging. If you find some of their poop, I know, ick, and put it in the hole and cover it up again they will stop. I worked for me. I think I read that somewhere on this board.

A great pet behaviorist, Patricia McConnell, just had a caller with the identical problem on her show and had some good advice. I encourage you to listen to the podcast as I could never summarize it.

Go to http://www.wpr.org/pets/listen.cfm and choose the Nov. 15th show. It was in the last half I believe. I have listened to her for years as she is on when I drive into work on Saturdays.

Good luck with your dog and have patience.

Lammie":3qy5ybob said:
dieselbeef":3qy5ybob said:

if i could only get em to stop diggin....[/quote]

Here is how I got my dogs to stop digging. If you find some of their poop, I know, ick, and put it in the hole and cover it up again they will stop. I worked for me. I think I read that somewhere on this board.

they go poop out inthe past..cant ever find any

baxter78":2vjdae78 said:
I still vote shoot the dog!

how many of yer own dogs have ya shot..cuz i hate to shoot anyhting ive got an investment in already...oh ill shoot the nieghbors dog just fine but shootin one ive fed and probly doctored is alitte harder to swallow

Why can't you put him somewhere where he doesn't have access to the door? Or hitch him when he does it?

Try the collar, every time he jumps up warn him and correct him, if he still does it zap him.

I know you hate to hear this but the little guy should probably go to a new home where he gets the attention he is definitely craving, he is also probably really jealous of the one dog that gets to come in the house. I don't really think that is fair to him .

If you have an electric fence, take a hot wire to the door. You will need to also run a wire from the ground terminal to a metal plate or wire mat placed in front of the door. This usualy works the first time, hard headed dogs twice. Works on trash cans or even the couch. Make sure you run out and feel sorrey for him, he won't associate the shock with you.

I think the dog doesn't know who is in charge. Only reason im replying to your problem is because for the first time I decided to let my dog inside of the house for a while just for company sakes. When I was done I took her back out and left her out. She is never allowed in and usually if you open the back door you could leave it open and she would just sit at it and not even come in.

Since I let her in the first time, later that evening when I opened the door she thought she could come in. She did and I just yelled "hey" at her and she layed down on the ground and didn't move. I had to drag her back out but the next time I opened the door she didnt come in. I figure the best move to take care of this was to give her a comand on when she oculd come in. So I worked on it a few times and woudl tell her to come in before she was allowed to come in. If I didnt tell her to come in she wouldn't. The first few times she did, I yelled at her and we started over.

By no means do I have a well trained dog but Ive done my best and now after doing that for a bit she only ocmes in when I tell her too and I can leave the door open and she wouldn't dare come in. I dont hit my dog but once in a blue moon im just sturn in my voice. Id try giving your dog a comand to come in. That way it knows its only coming in when you say so. Maybe that would stop that nonsince. And everytime it scratches the door go out and yell at him. For me it works best when I approach because she gets low and rolls over as a way to show she knows im boss. Being sturn and sounding like you mean it went along way for me.

hillsdown":2wv2062v said:
I don't really think that is fair to him .

I agree. Take him to a dog psychologist and let them find the true under lieing problem. Most likely it is his parents fault, but don't worry. They will give him a bunch of drugs and he will be good as new. :lol2:

But seriously, when he does it you will have to role you happy butt out of bed (part of owning a dog, its a 24-7 deal) walk to the door and punt hit little butt back to his house and say "NO". He will get the picture.

Sounds like your garage is warm and dry. You might get a dog crate and put him in it at night, let him out in the morning.

kerley":jfgjkt2m said:
Lammie, is this the same dog you gave to your husbands friend ?.
Tom.

I've been trying to give this dog away for a year. He's a really nice dog. He plays fetch and herds cattle and chickens. He loves kids and attention. He's regal looking. He's registered. He loves men, especially. You know how some dogs just seem to like one gender over another. He's just one dog too many. He needs one owner that has no other dogs. I don't know why Bob didn't want him. I thought I had a win win there.

Latest posts