does dehorning paste work?

Help Support CattleToday:

lineman-up

Reaction score
i have some six week old calves and am thinking of using dehorning paste but just wanted to know what some more experienced people think of it. i am green as heck at raising calves so if i sound stupid i apologize. thanks for any help in advance.

Hey! Someone else from MN! Cold enuf for you?

Anyhow, we don't use paste, have heard too many horror stories about it getting where it doesn't belong (calves feel the burn so they rub their heads against each other or something else) or not finishing the job. We have them burned out as calves. Is it too late for that as an option? It is not a big vet bill and goes fast if you have them ready in a pen before vet gets there.

I've used it and like it OK. I prefer to do it around a few days to two weeks of age. I'd be a little wary of using it on a 6 week old calf.

milkmaid":g2lums1y said:
I've used it and like it OK. I prefer to do it around a few days to two weeks of age. I'd be a little wary of using it on a 6 week old calf.

We do all our calves with it. But, they are done within a week of age. We rarely have any that we have to redo, and those are often calves that developed their horns late. I have used it on older calves up to a couple months old. You can make it work, but you have to cut/scrape the tip of the horn off first.

angie 2, yea its cold but sounds like lows in the teens below tomorrow morning, good whiskey drinkin weather!! do you tie them up for a few hours like they say to or just let them back in with the group?? i know i should have done this when i banded their nutz but i didnt know this stuff existed. like i said i really have no idea what i am doing, just got a deal on some cows and thought it sounded fun and it is!! i just wish i knew what i was doing!LOL well i will try roughing up the tip and see how it goes!! keep your finger crossed :shock:

angie2":2jz44lhd said:

Anyhow, we don't use paste, have heard too many horror stories about it getting where it doesn't belong (calves feel the burn so they rub their heads against each other or something else) or not finishing the job. We have them burned out as calves. Is it too late for that as an option? It is not a big vet bill and goes fast if you have them ready in a pen before vet gets there.
===========
Never used it but, a neighbor uses the paste with excellent results.

If you are concerned about cross contamination pin them up for a few days as he does.

angie2":2u0boevm said:

I agree with Angie about paste. It can get to be messy.
Cut or burn them. No need for vet.

We use the paste on the limo calves at work. But you want to do it really early, before the horns have broken through the skin. It does work really well, we dont pen/tie them or anything special. Occassionally we have to use the scoop dehorners on a calf when its older, cos some cows lick the paste off.

Paste them at birth and put duct tape over their head to cover the acid. The cow can't lick it off and it won't get on the cows udder.

Thanks
You still got room for me if I want to move back in? ;-)
Merry Christmas to you!

All of the above, I usually burn them anymore.......it's done and over, no worry about seeing the paste get smeared all over the heads etc.

They do make a small single hand gouger kinda has a ball on top. pretty small looking, tried it, if you can handle up close work of twisting and prying out the horn bud, works good, calf doesn't like it much...but.........ya know?

Thing with paste is, often is a multiple time application if the claf starts rubbing it off. :cboy:

I honestly can't believe that paste is still on the market. In my eyes that is about as terrible as it gets. If anybody has every gotten sodium hydroxide on there skin they would know what its like. It burns like hell and it just won't quit. Trust me I majored in chemistry. Burning is quick and when you pull the iron away the damage stops there and doesn't linger. Just my opinion though.

at 6 weeks its not too late for the hot iron method, I have had mixed success with the dehorning paste, some work very well others will develope little misformed horns. With the hot iron if you do it properly the horn has no chance of coming back.

We still use the paste. We normally use it at around 24-48 hours after birth. Have a few misses, but a pretty good success rate.
At 6 weeks that is too old. I would use a calf dehorner and burn, also called a cup.

Ollie that is a great idea about the duct tape. Will have to try it out this spring. We gotta a couple of real calf loving cows that lick the paste off and it drives us crazy. Will the tape fall off by it's self or do you take it off at a later date like at branding?

We carry a bottle of white vinegar with us just in case we get some on our skin and we always try to use our leather gloves when using it.

novaman":25wrdmr0 said:
I honestly can't believe that paste is still on the market. In my eyes that is about as terrible as it gets. If anybody has every gotten sodium hydroxide on there skin they would know what its like. It burns like be nice and it just won't quit. Trust me I majored in chemistry. Burning is quick and when you pull the iron away the damage stops there and doesn't linger. Just my opinion though.

Is my opinion as well.

Lineman ~ you and I have the same vets. They are very helpful ~ willing to show you how to do things so that you can do for yourself next time. If it is not something you have done before, you should have assistance the first time. I had 6 done summer before last (2006) and it cost me less than $50 for the farm call and all. Just have them in a pen when the vets get there.

I luv herfrds":14j13lfq said:
Ollie that is a great idea about the duct tape. Will have to try it out this spring. We gotta a couple of real calf loving cows that lick the paste off and it drives us crazy. Will the tape fall off by it's self or do you take it off at a later date like at branding?
It falls off on it's own. I make a lap over the horn buds, and back under their chin. Works good.

My brother used it on this years calf crop. Done at a week old or less. He has a cordless clipper, shaves off hair from each "bud" puts paste on then a strip of duct tape. The duct tape wears off on its own. Worked good.

I have used the paste two times and in both cases it done the very best, had the most neet muley heads you would find anywhere.

blk mule

Latest posts