A days work is never done…

Help Support CattleToday:

ksmit454

Reaction score
5 days ago had a heifer come up with a slight limp. 3 days ago got her in the squeeze to take a look. Hosed her hoof off to get a good look. Now mind you, I do not by any means have a fancy squeeze… and it was just me, myself, and I attempting to look at this heifer. I'm holding the rope to squeeze her in but also trying to look at her hoof. No swelling, no smell, and nothing stuck in the hoof but I could only see from the top. Tried looking at bottom but I didn't want to get killed doing all of this by myself. Well here we are a few days later and still limping… it's been muddy and wet. Going to get her in the squeeze again tomorrow with help from a neighbor to really get a better look and make sure nothing is in her hoof. Suggestions for picking her hoof up to get a good look? She's a decently gentle heifer but still… you know how they can be.

5 days ago had a heifer come up with a slight limp. 3 days ago got her in the squeeze to take a look. Hosed her hoof off to get a good look. Now mind you, I do not by any means have a fancy squeeze… and it was just me, myself, and I attempting to look at this heifer. I'm holding the rope to squeeze her in but also trying to look at her hoof. No swelling, no smell, and nothing stuck in the hoof but I could only see from the top. Tried looking at bottom but I didn't want to get killed doing all of this by myself. Well here we are a few days later and still limping… it's been muddy and wet. Going to get her in the squeeze again tomorrow with help from a neighbor to really get a better look and make sure nothing is in her hoof. Suggestions for picking her hoof up to get a good look? She's a decently gentle heifer but still… you know how they can be.
I just put a rope on the foot and pick it up. A hind leg I like to stretch back and tie to something reasonably high. Front foot I just tie up high enough to work on decently.

A small block and tackle can be handy for lifting, just like on the main sheet of a small sailing boat. And one with a cam cleat on the last block for easy locking it off and just as easy releasing it.

Ken

I just put a rope on the foot and pick it up. A hind leg I like to stretch back and tie to something reasonably high. Front foot I just tie up high enough to work on decently.
Exactly what I do.

@ksmit454 if you don't see or feel anything after checking the bottom, take a good look towards her hips and watch her walk to rule out a stifle injury. Also, feel all up/down her leg. I had a bull that was limping, couldn't figure out what was wrong and ended up taking him to the vet. Vet felt a lump on the back of his leg, shaved the area and discovered a previous cut or puncture wound that had healed on the outside but was infected internally. Good luck!

Thank you all! It is her left front leg and I got a good look at it this morning when I went to feed. I can't see anything inbetween her claw but still going to get her in the chute to get a good look of the underneath.

13548D09-9951-4B3C-8CED-4070EC1251BF.jpeg
Well I think I figured out why she's got a slight limp going. Found the big crack across her hoof. Anything I should do for her? She's hasn't gotten any worse, maybe was getting around a bit better today. She never had a real agressive limp, but just looked like she was ouchy.

Latest posts