Is this mastitis?

Help Support CattleToday:

LauMo

Reaction score
She was mooing a lot this morning and afternoon at her calf…looks like she's only drinking from one quadrant., as she did just a few minutes ago, looked at the others and then just sucked the one.
If so what should I do? Thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_6323.jpeg
    IMG_6323.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_6327.jpeg
    IMG_6327.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 15
  • IMG_6330.jpeg
    IMG_6330.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_6314.jpeg
    IMG_6314.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 14
she seems ok, she and the bull that's 4 days older than her usually run around at dusk...I'll be able to see then if she doesn't join him....could mamma just be engorged?

Can you bring her in and milk her out some. Do you get those paper strips you can milk onto that change colour? Apparently you can check milk with diswashing liquid but im not sure how.

I had a situation where a calf was refusing to drink off the back teats. No mastitis but cow was on a fresh paddock of lush grass and scouring a bit and it was making her udder dirty which i think the calf didnt like the taste of. But yours is beautifully clean.

she seems ok, she and the bull that's 4 days older than her usually run around at dusk...I'll be able to see then if she doesn't join him....could mamma just be engorged?
If calf acts ok and is 2 months old i wouldnt be too concerned. If you have been getting good rains like i have it may be just good grass is filling her up.

Can you bring her in and milk her out some. Do you get those paper strips you can milk onto that change colour? Apparently you can check milk with diswashing liquid but im not sure how.

I had a situation where a calf was refusing to drink off the back teats. No mastitis but cow was on a fresh paddock of lush grass and scouring a bit and it was making her udder dirty which i think the calf didnt like the taste of. But yours is beautifully clean.
I rotate them every day they get fresh grass and they scoff it down...I don't know if I can milk her, if she is like this tomorrow I may have to.

The dripping is that I just misted them with colloidal silver. I thought she could've been in heat but I don't think that's it, it just might be her calf, again mamma was mooing to her, she was up but laid back down, then mamma went to her licked her, she got up and nursed a little...Im going to see if she went to any other teats.

Mama could be engorged but I'd be taking the calf's temp if I were you. Normal is around 101, give or take depending on how hot it is in your area. If she's not actively nursing and mama is mooing, there's a problem. Trust your gut! And check the calf's behind to make sure she's not scouring. Stick your finger in the calf's mouth to see if she'll latch on. Does she look full or dehydrated? If there's any way possible to get mama in and strip her teats, that will help determine whether she has mastitis. Clear, watery or yellow/chunky is not good.

She nursed again about an hour ago didn't take from the back two quadrants, then she walked around grazing with the bull. Her behind looks pretty clean, no scours. It's been cooler here, high today 80 60's at night. They're out in the field now, so in the morning I will check her. Thank you TCRanch for that advice! I will get them both in the chute tomorrow if there's no improvement.

Is she a Jersey? It looks like the calf/calves are not getting her milked out at all... and I would definitely get her in and milk her and check the quarters. Try separating the calf from the cow for 12 hours and then see how she does when you put them back together...
One calf on a Jersey that is eating fresh grass is not enough to keep her milked out. Sooner or later she will wind up with udder problems. I put 3 calves on my Jersey nurse cows right from the start and if they are real heavy milkers, they might get 4 at a time.... better the calves "want" more instead of having too much.
I agree with @TCRanch ... need a temp on the calf and you need to see her actually doing manure to see if there is a problem with it. The heat does not help the situation and since I am on the western side of the state, I know you have been hotter over there...
Being in heat at 60 days is very normal for the cow and they will hold up their milk sometimes too...

Praise God she just nursed every quadrant!! 🎉 I saw her nursing a little at 6:30 am then again at 10:30…but about 15 minutes ago she went to town!! Oh and I watched her poop this morning perfect calf poop…better than the others. Still plan on watching them all day so thankful I didn't have to milk her.
Farmerjan, mamma is a mix red angus, charolais and akaushi wagyu. And yes she could easily nurse twins!

Attachments

• IMG_6349.jpeg
    IMG_6349.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_6350.jpeg
    IMG_6350.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_6347.jpeg
    IMG_6347.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 10

Latest posts