Does anyone know anything about wyagu/black Angus??

Help Support CattleToday:

How does purebred wyagu beef compare to angus/wyagu cross eating wise compare?

• wyagu

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Angus/wyagu cross

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

emily_22

Reaction score
I own a small property can't breed quantity, so i'm am trying to go for quality eating beef. I have herd about the wyagu cattle and their reputation for tender beef, but I have herd that they are small and scrawny, how do they come out when they are crossed with black angus? things such as ease of calving, carcass size and meat quality. does anyone out there know??

Emily, I question for you. in regards to Wyagu Cattle have you read up on kobe Beef and the steps needed to produce it? I cant and would not do what is needed to a Critter,

Being a Angus person I cant think of a better breed then Angus/angus plus.

But read up ask question and reseach your market. Kobe style beef is in demand so maybe for you it could be a way to go.

I've looked very extensively into the wagyu industry and there are some very good lines as far as marbling and some that aren't any better than angus. In Idaho there is a feedlot owned by Agribeef that will contract your angus/wagyu calves at .15 over market. Not bad money. I also believe that the Fullblood market is so out of control right now that they are going to be the next ostrich or Alpaca.

I normally respond to every such poll; but I confess that I do not have enough experience with Wagyus, Tulis, Hotlanders, etc or any other minor breeds to really have an informed opinion on the cattle much less their carcass characteristics (other than what I read). To me, in that choice you pick Angus and devote your energy into breeding the best Angus possible rather than chasing a niche breed. Of course it is your decision and you have to follow your heart; but this business is so difficult that I think you stack the odds against you if you go too far out of the mainstream.

Emily I have a neighbour that has used Wagyu over a beautiful line of Angus females. I reckon that he would have been better off joining them to straight Angus. They have actually developed quite well. They were light looking weaners compared to our larger type Brahman,South Devon and Hereford cattle. I would now join them back to an Angus if I were him. Any way probably a few of them will have South Devon cross calves as they liked our place,quite often getting in. I have read that Wagyu beef is good but haven't tried any. Will stick to beautiful tender South Devon beef crossed with Brahman and Hereford.
Whereabouts in Australia are you? Have you had good rain like us here in the northern New England?
Colin

Latest posts