Does anyone have favorite quotes?

Help Support CattleToday:

63DH8

Reaction score
Here's a few of mine...

Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence in society.

-Mark Twain

When in doubt, tell the truth.

-Mark Twain

Always do right. This will gratify some and astonish the rest.

-Mark Twain

When Angry, count four; When very angry, swear.

-Mark Twain

Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of congress. But I repeat myself.

-Mark Twain

Good friends, good books, and a sleepy conscience: this is the ideal life.

-Mark Twain

Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Translated: When catapults are outlawed, only outlaws will have catapults

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris

Translated: If Caesar were alive, you'd be chained to an oar.

Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem.

Translated: In the good old days, children like you were left to perish on windswept crags.

Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.

Translated: I have a catapult. Give me all the money, or I will fling an enormous rock at your head.

The Athenian Oath

I will not disgrace my sacred arms nor desert my comrade wherever I am stationed.
I will fight for things sacred and things profane.
And both alone and with all to help me I will transmit my fatherland not diminished, but greater and greater than before.
I will obey the ruling magistrates who rule reasonably and I will observe established laws, and whatever laws in the future may be reasonably established.
If any person seek to overturn the laws, both alone and with all to help me, I will oppose him.
I will honor the religion of my fathers.
I call to witness the Gods, the borders of my fatherlands, the wheat, the barley, the vines, and the trees of the olive and the fig.

-Athenian Ephebic Oath, 335 BC Pledged after completing one year of training in "Military and civic duties and activities" while attending the Ephebic College
traslated by Clarence A. Forbes- Fletcher Harper Swift, The Athenian Ephebic Oath of the Allegiance in American Schools and Colleges, University of California publications in Education, Vol II, no. 1, p. 4 (1947)

"Now we must all hang together, or surely we will all hang separately." Ben Franklin

"You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you'll get what you need." Jagger-Richards

"You can't roller skate in a buffalo herd." Roger Miller

"Go fast, but don't hurry." John Wooden

"Land, Katy Scarlett O'Hara. Land is the only thing worth fightin' for, worth dying for" -- John O'Hara to his daughter

The more you stir it the more it stinks

My Dad

Onethat I heard from him but never bothered looking for the actual origin:
A man is like a piece of steel, once he loses his temper he's no da.. good

My dad - I don't know where it came from...

if you ever need a helping hand.... there's one at the end of your arm.

Worry is like a rockin' chair,
Gives you sumthin' to do,
But gets you nowhere

"Man's biggest fear is fear itself" (Don't know who said that...)

and

what my signature says.

"Unless you do your best, the day will come when, tired and hungry, you will halt just short of the goal you were ordered to reach, and by halting you will make useless the efforts and deaths of thousands."
--General George S. Patton

"Victory is reserved for those who are willing to pay its price." --Sun Tzu

American People

I do not choose to be a common man. It is my right to be uncommon-if I can. I seek opportunity-not security. I do not wish to be a kept citizen, humbled and dulled by having the state look after me. I want to take the calculated risk; to dream and to build, to fail and to succeed. I refuse to barter incentive for a dole. I prefer challenges of life to the guaranteed existence; the thrill of fulfillment to the stale calm of utopia. I will not trade freedom for beneficence nor my dignity for a handout. I will never cower before any master nor bend to any threat. It is my heritage to stand erect, proud, and unafraid; to think and act for myself, enjoy the benefit of my creations, and to face the world boldly and say, this I have done. All this is what it means to be an American.
-Dean Alfange, creed. -Who's who in America, 1984-85, Vol. 1, page 42

"Entitlement programs are nothing new. My father had an entitlement program: The day after we graduated he told us if we preferred to starve instead of work, we're entitled."

Its not the lie that will get you ... but the relie. No idea

If you think you are a leader, its best to stop now and then and look behind you to see if anyone is following you. No idea

If you boys would just spend as much time studying women as you do your trucks .... there'd be a lot less divorces in the world. My dad.

Them girls can wait. High School Football Coach

What you cannot enforce, do not command. Sophocles

You may delay but time will not. Ben Franklin

The distance from the limousin to the gutter is a short one. Kinky Frieman

Some say it is the early bird that gets the worm but it is the second mouse that gets the cheese. Don't know.

Having the right to do something doesn't mean it is right to do it. W. Safire

Getting married is a lot like getting into a tub of hot water. Once you get used to it, it ain't so hot. Minnie Pearl

"better buy another bar of soap"......nephew told his mom when she threatened to wash his mouth out with soap if he didn't stop his name calling

It's better to keep your mouth shut and let people think your a fool than to open it and leave no doubt....no clue who said it

the older the violin, the sweeter the music.....captian Agustus McRae in Lonesome Dove

I can get a good look at a t-bone by sticking my head up a bulls #$$ ,but I would rather take my butchers word for it. From the movie Tommy boy.

There's always free cheese in a mouse trap

"If you think you're too small to make a difference, you haven't been in bed with a mosquito".

-- Anita Roddick

Assiduus usus uni rei deditus et ingenium et artem saepe vincit. ~ Constant practice devoted to one subject often outdoes both intelligence and skill.----Cicero

Mendacem oportet esse memorem. ~ A liar must be good at remembering.----Quintilian

"If you seek mastery of the sword, seek first sincerity of the heart, for the former is but a reflection of the latter."

-Iwakura Yoshinori, of Yagyu-ryu

"The Lord loves a hangin'....that's why he gives us necks."

-From Ren and Stimpy

Self-absorbed people consume and immediately regurgitate socio-political buzzphrases to appear learned, thoughtful and concerned without the inconvenience of learning, thinking, or giving a ****.

"Give a man fire, and he'll be warm for a day, light a man on fire, and he'll be warm the rest of his life"

Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.

Thought for the day: Men are like fine wine.. They start out as grapes, and it's up to the women to stomp the crap out of them until they turn into something acceptable to have dinner with.

"kind hearted people might think there was some ingenious way to disarm or defeat an enemy without too much bloodshed, and might imagine this is the true goal of the art of war. Pleasant as it sounds this is a fallacy that must be exposed"

-- Clausewitz, On War, page 1

"The analysts write about war as if it's a ballet...like it's choreographed ahead of time, and when the orchestra strikes up and starts playing, everyone goes out and plays a set piece.
What I always say to folks is, 'Yes it's choreographed, and what happens is the orchestra starts playing and some son of a bitch climbs out of the orchestra pit and starts chasing you around the stage.' And the choreography goes right out the window."
-- General Norman H. Schwartzkopf, Feb. 5, 1991, in an interview in the Washington Post.

Life being what it is, one dreams of revenge.
Paul Gauguin (1848 - 1903)

not sure who said it 'if you lay down with dogs, you get up with fleas'

Lawyers, I suppose were children once.
Charles Lamb (1775 - 1834)

also not sure who said 'If it ain't broke, don't try to fix it'

'behind every good man there is a better woman'

My favorite quotes are all of Caustics :lol:

Used one of his the other day on my Son and he had no idea what i was talking about. "You do not know rather to wipe your watch or wind your butt"

Son never saw a winding watch. Had to get out an old Bulova left to me from my Great Grandfather to show him what one was.

Latest posts