Do ladies drive tractors?

Help Support CattleToday:

alabama":h1i1rqco said:
While you are getting the pics how about getting some of her hooking up to the implements by her self too.
I had to run and check on the dozing this morning so while I was gone my wife went and pulled the discbine out of the field and unhooked it then went and hooked up the baler and greased it, then she went and got another tractor unhooked the tedder and hooked up to her rake oh and I forgot she went and fed the calves and checked some of the cows and put mineral out also
I have only daughters left living now but I always taught my daughters that they can do anything they set there mind to

alabama":3uag8ejm said:
MistyMorning":3uag8ejm said:
alabama":3uag8ejm said:
I have never seen a woman operating an old tractor. I have seen several run a new tractor with cab and AC but never an old piece of junk.

When I get a new camera, I'll send ya a pic.

While you are getting the pics how about getting some of her hooking up to the implements by her self too.

Well I sure will. I gotta tell ya I'm especially handy with the bale spear ;-)

kerley":11fxzcgz said:
My Kathy knows how to start our tractor and can drive around the fields but I don't like it. She is only 5'3" and small frame, I don't think I could ever forgive myself if she were injured working equipment. How would you explain to your children that you allowed mom to do something that hurt her. Kathy and Kelly both like mowing the grass with the riding lawn mower. I think that is enough for them to do . To each their own, Thats just me.
Tom
She's a bigun compared to my wife. 5 foot even with her shoes on. She has a hard time reaching the peddles on the 5510, that's why I got the little Kubota. She's a raking fool with that.

The first time I put the ex on a tractor to rake hay, she hit a nest of bees with the rake. That and terrible allergys motivated her to get a job in town.
Daughter is good with the rake and tedder, but I have to slow her down.

MistyMorning":1wwq0f60 said:

What (who) all have you poked holes in?

Are you kidding? We've never owned a new tractor. The AC 200 only has four out of the eight gears left that work.. I've been driving that tractor for 20 years.

None of them have cabs.. or a canopy for that matter. And I've hooked implements on my own many times.

I'm telling you,Texas ladies do anything needs doing,and look good doing it :pretty:

cfpinz":2ygwv3lp said:
MistyMorning":2ygwv3lp said:

What (who) all have you poked holes in?

Ya don't want to hear that story, that pretty little wife of yours might get some new ideas. :D

Oh Boy, I have to saying something here. I live in southern Tennesse. At any givin morning I might be driving a tractor to feed hay, move hayrings, set t-posts, tedder hay, rake hay, mow fields(bush hog), etc. I use a tractor ALL the time. I also build fence, work ( vaccs, fly control, deworm, separate, etc.) my cattle (by myself) many times, kill critters (feed stealing skunks, opossiums and racoons), feed, water and gather eggs from the chickens, vaccs, deworm, and do hoof care on my horses, clean stalls, put fresh hay and water in the stalls. Do a load of laundry and dishes. Put them away and make DARN sure that if you walk into my house it is CLEAN! All this BEFORE I "go to work" by noon driving my Dodge, manual, 3500 4 x4 truck using my CDL, motorcycle and standard drivers licence that sits in my purse beside my conceal and carry handgun permit. My days are LONG...But I am proud to be a farming wife to my husband. I am 39 yrs old, 5'6" tall and weigh 152lbs and can do the work of men twice my size. I hate to go to the mall and firmly believe money is better spent on cattle than a diamond ring! But if you walk into our Automotive Repair Shop you would think I was the same as the city ladies/women that live on the "lots" in the fance neighborhoods....well except for my fingernails...they are short and not polished.
My reward is not in the material things I can gain but the life I am sharing with my husband. The blood, sweat and tears we shed building our character and our heritage to our children. So, tell your friend that YES we drive tractors and a heck of more if needed to get the job done!

BARNSCOOP":2b1lmpqx said:
Oh Boy, I have to saying something here. I live in southern Tennesse. At any givin morning I might be driving a tractor to feed hay, move hayrings, set t-posts, titter hay, rake hay, mow fields(bush hog), etc. I use a tractor ALL the time. I also build fence, work ( vaccs, fly control, deworm, separate, etc.) my cattle (by myself) many times, kill critters (feed stealing skunks, opossiums and racoons), feed, water and gather eggs from the chickens, vaccs, deworm, and do hoof care on my horses, clean stalls, put fresh hay and water in the stalls. Do a load of laundry and dishes. Put them away and make DARN sure that if you walk into my house it is CLEAN! All this BEFORE I "go to work" by noon driving my Dodge, manual, 3500 4 x4 truck using my CDL, motorcycle and standard drivers licence that sits in my purse beside my conceal and carry handgun permit. My days are LONG...But I am proud to be a farming wife to my husband. I am 39 yrs old, 5'6" tall and weigh 152lbs and can do the work of men twice my size. I hate to go to the mall and firmly believe money is better spent on cattle than a diamond ring! But if you walk into our Automotive Repair Shop you would think I was the same as the city ladies/women that live on the "lots" in the fance neighborhoods....well except for my fingernails...they are short and not polished.
My reward is not in the material things I can gain but the life I am sharing with my husband. The blood, sweat and tears we shed building our character and our heritage to our children. So, tell your friend that YES we drive tractors and a heck of more if needed to get the job done!

And you bring in a paycheck too? Wow!!! Hope your husband knows he won the lottery :nod:

BARNSCOOP":205scoks said:
Oh Boy, I have to saying something here. I live in southern Tennesse. At any givin morning I might be driving a tractor to feed hay, move hayrings, set t-posts, titter hay, rake hay, mow fields(bush hog), etc. I use a tractor ALL the time. I also build fence, work ( vaccs, fly control, deworm, separate, etc.) my cattle (by myself) many times, kill critters (feed stealing skunks, opossiums and racoons), feed, water and gather eggs from the chickens, vaccs, deworm, and do hoof care on my horses, clean stalls, put fresh hay and water in the stalls. Do a load of laundry and dishes. Put them away and make DARN sure that if you walk into my house it is CLEAN! All this BEFORE I "go to work" by noon driving my Dodge, manual, 3500 4 x4 truck using my CDL, motorcycle and standard drivers licence that sits in my purse beside my conceal and carry handgun permit. My days are LONG...But I am proud to be a farming wife to my husband. I am 39 yrs old, 5'6" tall and weigh 152lbs and can do the work of men twice my size. I hate to go to the mall and firmly believe money is better spent on cattle than a diamond ring! But if you walk into our Automotive Repair Shop you would think I was the same as the city ladies/women that live on the "lots" in the fance neighborhoods....well except for my fingernails...they are short and not polished.

Barnscoop: You are my new hero. Do you have a sister that needs a mate?

angie":2vborl2a said:
By "field work" I mean plow, disc, drag etc ..... things that require operating a tractor in a field while performing a task. While talking to a friend from the south, I was informed that, to the best of their knowledge, ladies in the south do not do field work or operate machinery. So I am asking ~ Do ladies in the south drive tractors and do field work? This is not a judgment call by any means, ladies everywhere work hard I am sure. I am wondering at the cultural differences.

Angie I can only speak for my little part of the country but in general, NO, ladies do not drive tractors as a normal part of the farming operation. There will always be the exception, but it's not an expected thing. The men around here to all the outside farm work and the wifes ordinarily take care of the accounting and running errands, raising children, going to PTA meetings and all the important stuff. :clap:

Alabama,

Sorry I don't. But my husband always tells me , when I am explaining how my way is better, if I don't watch it he will trade me in on two good Amish women. Then I remind him i'm not sure they shave there legs or anywhere else on their bodies. Well he forgets all about my sas talk. Maybe you could start at your local Amish community? HA! A good country church might be your ticket. In church were taught to be helpers to our husbands, even if we don't always like it and vise versa. It's pretty funny to see a country boy wearing Carrharts holding a danty teacup in a tea room cause his wife puts up square bales for three days by herself! Ha Ha Ha.
I always tell people he would charge H@!!(satan's place) with a popcicle for me and it's the truth! Don't loose heart ...you can find the right one for you if you look in the right places.

There are two women that I know that drive tractors on their farm. Women around these parts are usually doing the house chores and gardening stuff. Must be a PA dutch thing.

L Weir":ycloytsq said:
There are two women that I know that drive tractors on their farm. Women around these parts are usually doing the house chores and gardening stuff. Must be a PA dutch thing.

I would say it's a PA thing as all the dutch wives I know that are farmers work their @sses off and do whatever it takes to get the job done. I am not Dutch but am married to one and I will be d@mned if I let him work harder than me it is equal at a minimum..It is a pride thing here.

BARNSCOOP":2q4a9prp said:
Oh Boy, I have to saying something here. I live in southern Tennesse. At any givin morning I might be driving a tractor to feed hay, move hayrings, set t-posts, tedder hay, rake hay, mow fields(bush hog), etc. I use a tractor ALL the time. I also build fence, work ( vaccs, fly control, deworm, separate, etc.) my cattle (by myself) many times, kill critters (feed stealing skunks, opossiums and racoons), feed, water and gather eggs from the chickens, vaccs, deworm, and do hoof care on my horses, clean stalls, put fresh hay and water in the stalls. Do a load of laundry and dishes. Put them away and make DARN sure that if you walk into my house it is CLEAN! All this BEFORE I "go to work" by noon driving my Dodge, manual, 3500 4 x4 truck using my CDL, motorcycle and standard drivers licence that sits in my purse beside my conceal and carry handgun permit. My days are LONG...But I am proud to be a farming wife to my husband. I am 39 yrs old, 5'6" tall and weigh 152lbs and can do the work of men twice my size. I hate to go to the mall and firmly believe money is better spent on cattle than a diamond ring! But if you walk into our Automotive Repair Shop you would think I was the same as the city ladies/women that live on the "lots" in the fance neighborhoods....well except for my fingernails...they are short and not polished.

I guess the correct question for you should have been "Does the old man ever drive a tractor"?? ;-)

Well,
He is the man of the house and he LOVES big machinery so we are called to assigning tractors....I get the smaller of the two. But when he is at work I sneak and use his tractor sometimes. I am his helper not his boss....that would be GOD. So, I wait for him to teach me something new to do and then do it as best I can. You can get alot done when you work as a team but we can tell when we have had enough work and not enough rest cause the hammers start flyin over the stupid stuff.
I think in general women as a whole (Northern and Southern) don't do alot of farm work because they don't like it. They are busy with careers and office jobs. Somebody somewhere has taught a generation of women that staying home with your children, cooking for your family and being your husbands wife wasn't good enough. You have to have an outside career to have an identity and be fulfilled. If you don't do it there way ..well your just uneducated and shameful.
I'll say it LOUD. One of the most important things a woman will ever do is to raise her children in a loving home where they see her devotion to them and there father. What ever form that comes in.

BARNSCOOP":1v4oqajq said:
Well,
I am his helper not his boss....that would be GOD. So, I wait for him to teach me something new to do and then do it as best I can. You can get alot done when you work as a team but we can tell when we have had enough work and not enough rest cause the hammers start flyin over the stupid stuff.

I'll say it LOUD. One of the most important things a woman will ever do is to raise her children in a loving home where they see her devotion to them and there father. What ever form that comes in.
You have an excellent attitude. The kind that builds nations.
:clap: :clap: :clap:

Latest posts