Do ladies drive tractors?

Help Support CattleToday:

dun":2fh8g7rx said:
Angus Cowman":2fh8g7rx said:
Well Angrie here is my take on it if a "lady is too good to work beside me then she isn't worth 2 cents and I sure wouldn't have her around

Here is my answer to your question
My momma milked cows,mowed raked and baled hay, disced fields and has picked cotton and all of the other numerous jobs it takes to run a farm
My wife runs tractors and probably does more of the discing and planting than I do (we aren't a row crop farm) but we plant several acres of foodplots and also plant rye and haybeans for hay, she and I cut, rake and bale around 2500 round bales of hay a yr and 99% of the time she runs the tractor that pulls the feed wagon and feeds all of the calves and she does 70% of the brushogging and spraying

SO IMO yes ladies do drive tractors because anyone that said these 2 women weren't ladies would be picking themselves up off of the ground
AC

You gotta remember you're talking about Missouri. When we first moved here I used to ask people if this was the south, the midwest or north. People from north of the river about split evenly between midwest and north. The folks from south of the river usually said "it's none of those, it's MISSOURI"
Yes Dun we live in Missouri but My momma was raised in Oklahoma and my wife lived in Florida

Angus Cowman":1gvoib1l said:
cfpinz":1gvoib1l said:
Don't know if folks in other parts of the country consider VA being southern or northern, but I sure consider it the South. My wife does the tedding and raking along with some other tractor chores, even drove a semi truck load of hay around the field last week while I finished loading it. She was hinting the other day why I haven't put her on the discbine, but after the number she did on my rake last week I'm not so sure about that...
Awww come on CF let her run it your really wanting a new one anyway

The difference between wanting and affording is about 20 grand.

Ladies driving tractors aint a good thing. I came home one day and all my "stuff" was moved to the back forty. The boss lady put a chain on the front bucket and life wasn't the same. That acre yard around the house all manicured wasn't enough. At least she didn't have a daughter dig a hole with the crawler loader and bury it all.

An order came in for several hundred tons of building stone. I had one daughter on the tractor loading with the front bucket and another one on the caterpillar moving the over burden off of the rock layers. I was on the hoe jerking slabs of limestone. A rancher friend happened to drive up needing to borrow the post hole auger. His son and son's friends were in the truck. Those boys were bug eyed. I was dropping half ton slabs in the tractor bucket and the daughter was lifting them and putting them in the dump trailer. It seems we pulled 160 tons or so that day. I gave each of them $1K.

My wife can do some things on the tractor. Eldest daughter can do anything on it. Baby daughter can run the hoe, crawler and do some things with the tractor. The wife is scared of most all equipment and slow but she gets some things done.

mnmtranching said:
I don't know :???: Back in the days of the little squares. Boss Lady rode the wagon stacking while I drove the tractor. :cowboy:

Just kidding. She cut, raked, drove the tractor and skid steer a lot. I actually rode the wagon. :oops: :oops:

My wife drove my tractor last summer for the first time while making some small square bales, she got sick of staking hay real fast. So I think that this summer I'll be on the wagon.

I have never seen a woman operating an old tractor. I have seen several run a new tractor with cab and AC but never an old piece of junk.
But then it may be like they say.
"If it was easy they would have women and children doing it."

when i was growing up the women had breakfast ready too go and had dinner working..and bring drinks and refreshment in between,amoug other chores,, dont know about you folk but id rather drive a tractor :lol:

you doggoned right wemen can drive tractors.an they can do alot of other things as well.ive quiet a few that did the morning an evening milking.heck i even know 1 women that married.an after 6 months she told her hubby we are going into the dairy business.an you can keep your town job.an ill do all the milking.she milked 2x a day for 40yrs.

alabama":3h7x8bph said:
Well, that confirms another suspicion ~ but thats a whole 'nother thread....... :roll:

Well, I'm not exactly from the south, but I am south of Minnesota so I should count. I constantly drive tractor, semi, or whatever is needed. Same with my mom and my sister in law when she is not at work. Do I see it with my female cousins or my aunts, no. But some of us do.

alabama":1v0d4wa9 said:
I have never seen a woman operating an old tractor. I have seen several run a new tractor with cab and AC but never an old piece of junk.

Come to VA, Mom drives all of Dad's old junkers and she can't run him off her new tractor.

My Grandma would run the snot out of an old Ford 4000 prior that they had, it was (and still is) a piece of junk.

My Kathy knows how to start our tractor and can drive around the fields but I don't like it. She is only 5'3" and small frame, I don't think I could ever forgive myself if she were injured working equipment. How would you explain to your children that you allowed mom to do something that hurt her. Kathy and Kelly both like mowing the grass with the riding lawn mower. I think that is enough for them to do . To each their own, Thats just me.
Tom

alabama":cznqq8f8 said:

When I get a new camera, I'll send ya a pic.

Seen a lady raking hay yesterday evening - no cab, nothing fancy just an average Ford tractor and a side delivery rake. She was making pretty good time too!

MistyMorning":24s6pyw1 said:
alabama":24s6pyw1 said:

While you are getting the pics how about getting some of her hooking up to the implements by her self too.

I don't see it around here. The only lady I've seen on a tractor is the 70 year old widow down the road a bit.

Walt

dun":1y7wsv8u said:
alabama":1y7wsv8u said:

More like, if it was easy men would give birth

:nod: :nod: :nod: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: You made my day!

That needs to go on that tee shirt saying thread where ever it is....

alabama":31scwzhs said:
MistyMorning":31scwzhs said:
alabama":31scwzhs said:

While you are getting the pics how about getting some of her hooking up to the implements by her self too.

The only time it is difficult to hook up the implements is when it is -40 out and the hydraulic connectors/valves are frozen. Or the pto shaft is frozen and won't pull out.. :help:

alabama":2ifzeq1b said:
I never owned a cabbed tractor til 7 yrs ago, my dad bought his 1st one in the late 80s and my mom and wife have both ran the open station tractors for yrs

My wife runs a 170 allis chalmers every morning doing the feeding and that 170 is also her favorite rake tractor and the one she sprays all of the fence rows on

My dad always bought old junk tractors because he could buy them cheaper and fix them for less than one in good running condition
My mom has spent many hrs on aWD9 international as well as a couple H & M farmalls

Latest posts