Disappearance of the Hereford

Help Support CattleToday:

Jabes0623":3v8wkpiv said:
I'm actually looking into buying a few bred Hereford cows to start my operation with. I live in OH if anyone knows someone reputable near me & could point me in the right direction I'd much appreciate it. There's a Hereford sale in Hillsboro on Dec 13 I'm goig to attend if all else fails however I imagine most of those cows will be for show & not to well suited to my needs.

http://buckeyeherefords.com/ One I can recommend is NS Polled Herefords, my grandfather used to be the herdsman back in the 80's and 90's and the owner Norman and manager Gene are great guys. I don't know what they have or sell these days but they are big on record keeping and have a nice herd. Browse through the directory and found 2 names that I recognize that are pretty well known nationally:

Boyd Beef Cattle (located in KY): http://boydbeef.com/herefords.html
Mohican Polled Herefords: http://www.mohicanpolledherefords.com/

AllForage":i4cqhzwi said:
Jabes0623":i4cqhzwi said:
I'm actually looking into buying a few bred Hereford cows to start my operation with. I live in OH if anyone knows someone reputable near me & could point me in the right direction I'd much appreciate it. There's a Hereford sale in Hillsboro on Dec 13 I'm goig to attend if all else fails however I imagine most of those cows will be for show & not to well suited to my needs.

I posed this question to you before and you ignored it. Don't worry I am used to it. So I will ask again. The Hereford breed has many types and herds that excel at certain things better than others. What exactly are you looking for? How are you going to run them, i.e. feed, grain, no grain. You looking for high octane maximum growth with added inputs or dependable moderate cows that bring in a calf with low to no input?

You certainly don't need papered cows for crossbreeding. Starting a commercial operation out by buying your "ingredients" from a show sale does not seem very business savvy to me. There are Herefords herds all over. Might have to put a few more miles on. Start by asking around at your local sales barn. Depending on how many you want you will probably have to buy from a couple farms.

I don't recall you asking me but I suppose I could've missed it.

I intend to use the Herefords to crossbreed, with a Gelbvieh bull, to produce a maternal cross. I will keep them on pasture & feed hay in the winter. I want a moderate cow that can produce a healthy highly fertile calf every year & raise it to weaning with as little input as possible.

Perhaps I didn't make myself clear in my other post, I'm not looking to nor will I be buying papered show cows. That's just what the majority of this sale appears to be. I wouldn't not buy a cow because it was registered but that's of little importance to me. I am willing to pay for & want great genetics but I won't waste $ on anything that isn't necessary. I intend to start small, would like to purchase 4-6 bred cows that will calve this spring.

SPH":12lshumr said:
Jabes0623":12lshumr said:

http://buckeyeherefords.com/ One I can recommend is NS Polled Herefords, my grandfather used to be the herdsman back in the 80's and 90's and the owner Norman and manager Gene are great guys. I don't know what they have or sell these days but they are big on record keeping and have a nice herd. Browse through the directory and found 2 names that I recognize that are pretty well known nationally:

Boyd Beef Cattle (located in KY): http://boydbeef.com/herefords.html
Mohican Polled Herefords: http://www.mohicanpolledherefords.com/

Thank you.

I'm in SW Mo and there seems to be a resurgence of Herefords here. Both the modern type, polled and all but also those original looking ole curly faced, big headed beauties with the horns. With cattle doing so well, in general, seems that horned calves and scurred sell just about as well as any of them.

cathill":38ln513z said:
I'm in SW Mo and there seems to be a resurgence of Herefords here. Both the modern type, polled and all but also those original looking ole curly faced, big headed beauties with the horns. With cattle doing so well, in general, seems that horned calves and scurred sell just about as well as any of them.

You have noted, or noticed, more curls on the horned herefords?
This may not be a coincidence.
Anyone else seen this difference?

ANAZAZI":1t0ba2tp said:
cathill":1t0ba2tp said:

Sulphur?

ANAZAZI":3fe80c88 said:
cathill":3fe80c88 said:

Oh definitely, The more curl they have, the hardier they are, the more efficient they are, the better carcass they produce, the better mothers they are, the more fertile they are, and they have a lot more longevity. Definitely a sign of superiority. :lol2:

Latest posts