different kind of prolapse

Help Support CattleToday:

lukelangford

Reaction score
recently lost a calf to what would appear to be a rectal prolapse. new one to us, anybody seen this? best physical description would be half prolapse half hemmoroid.

Saw one about three months ago; vet put it back in, stitched her up, and she hasn't had any problems since. It happened following preg checks - rectal palpation - and my guess is that's what caused it.

was this calf still on it moma are was you feeding him out? diet can be a big factor in a rectal prolaspe. they can be fixed though like caustic said

milkmaid":2dyq20t8 said:
Saw one about three months ago; vet put it back in, stitched her up, and she hasn't had any problems since. It happened following preg checks - rectal palpation - and my guess is that's what caused it.

Too much protien can cause this also especially this time of year, cattle not getting enough roughage sitting at a lick tub or syrup vat. It amounts to a constipated cow with a hemiriod from hell.

lukelangford":6kgh1i4m said:
This was a steer calf, this was rectal...stitches didn't seem feasible. Stuck out about 6 inches, looked painful beyond measure.

Stitches work...that's what the cow we had, had; a rectal prolapse. And it was a hand's span across and close to six inches out as well. We tried putting it back in and it wouldn't stay. Took her over to the vet clinic, had her stitched up, and no problems with her since.

Seen this in bull calves that are 3-6 months of age when they start riding every thing that walks. Not pretty. stichem up and sell them i wouldn't keep any thing that has prolapsed calf or cow.

TK

This might sound funny, but my cousin in the mountains swears by it. He drives the animal to the top of the hill, then chases him downhill real quicklike. I reckon the inards pushing towards the front of the chest cavity helps it to pull back in. Keeping it there is a different story.

Latest posts