Difference between breeds

Help Support CattleToday:

Don't get me wrong. Some of the best cattle in the world are Black Angus. I love them when they are good. I also love Reds when they are good. I think the quality differences are regional . I have seen Simmentals that would blow both away 90% of the time. There are more differences within breeds than between breeds. Really good ones are really good ones. I think though the difference between the very best black bull and the very best red bull is the color. It makes me no difference what they say in an Oklahoma sale barn.

GWH said: "Frankie, I know I am on the short end of an argument with the kind of gravitas that you bring to cattle discussion, but I can't let this one pass. I am not saying that Angus breeders haven't significantly narrowed the gap, maybe even closed it in some cases, but Herefords for many years were the most efficient cattle made, and I believe they still are. I have a thick envelope of data that you challenged me to produce when I first stuck my nose in these boards. I haven't submitted it because Jack Ward failed to provide the websites etc. where you could go see for yourself, and I am still waiting for more in-depth data. \"

I'm flattered (I think), but I'm not even a guru. I'll take nothing away from Hereford cattle, especially when it comes to rustling a meal on the range. I'm speaking of feed efficiency as in the feedlot. Time spent in the feedlot is probably the most expensive time in a calf's life. I've seen some very good Hereford bulls that will gain in a feedlot setting. I'm not saying they're not out there. But, IMO, too many Hereford breeders are like a friend of mine. He's still PO-ed because the Horned and Polled groups joined together. He has been using Angus bull for a while and is overall happy with the calves. But he holds the Angus cows to a much higher standard than his registered Hereford cows. He has a problem with cancer eye. Some of them have absolutely terrible udders and he ignores it. Some of them don't breed back in a timely manner and he ignores it. He seems to be proud to wean 600 lb Hereford bull calves (and he's supplementing). He selects his Angus bulls by using EPDs. He selects his Hereford bulls by who won the latest show.

"I would suggest a compromise: At this point in time, Herefords and Angus are close enough in efficiency that there is more variation between individuals than there is between the breeds. That leaves several reasons for the black craze: #1, You should be proud of the marketing job they have done; #2 Black cattle ARE troubled less by flies and pinkeye. #3 Black cattle are more easily show prepped. #4 The certified program was a masterpiece. #5 While Angus was unified with their CAB, Hereford folks were still fighting over horned and polled instead of celebrating their options."

#1. I am very proud of the marketing job the AAA has done. But they have good cattle to work with. Did you see the speech by the Gelbvieh rep? He said he had good news and bad news. The good news was that a big time Angus breeder had congratulated him on the marketing program the Gelbvieh Association had in place. The bad news was that Gelbvieh cattle didn't match up to the claims made in that program.
#2. My cows have flies and we've had a case or two of pinkeye. No cancer eye, though.
#3. :?:
#4. CAB is looked upon as a masterpiece today. But for the first ten years or so it nearly broke the Association.
#5. See above. Not everyone thought CAB was a good program. It was almost killed several times before it became profitable.

"Having made these concessions, I still say that we've made great strides on our problems; Roughsedge's 2001 study shows that Hereford bulls are the #1 heterosis cross for breeds across the board, with Gelbveigh getting the most benefit from a Hereford bull, specifically in survival to weaning, 3.49% direct. The Gelbveigh/Angus produces a 2.14% number. The reason given for this is that Herefords are more genetically different than other breeds. Given the BLACK Limis, the BLACK Simis, the BLACK Maines, the BLACK this, and the BLACK that, all of which were brought about by dipping into the fine Angus gene pool, this is no surprise. Let's be totally honest and say that Hereford bulls do stay home better as a whole as well."

OK, it's good that Herefords are doing well. No, I won't give you that. When we ran Angus bulls on commercial cows we had no problem keeping them home. Several of my neigbors use them and don't seem to be chasing them around and hauling them home.

"I don't think anyone who has impartially eaten both Angus and Hereford beef when comparably fed and prepared from animals of comparable quality genetics is going to say that the Angus is any better."

CAB is a higher quality grade than CHB. I believe there's research showing consumers prefer higher quality grade beef over lower quality grade. We also know that Choice beef is more likely to be tender than Select beef. So I'd disagree with this one.

"Angus cows milk heavier as a whole; Hereford cows have a 96% conception rate versus 86% for Angus as a breed average."

Can we have a refrence here? I've never said, nor will I every say every Angus cow (or bull) is a good cow (or bull). But if one uses EPDs wisely, you can improve your chances of buying good cattle.

"All I'm saying is that Angus are not THE BEST in every category. Come on, you have 50 or 60% influence in the nation's cowherds, why begrudge the ole Hereford's 15-30%, depending on the source, moving up five or ten points?"

LOL! I'm not begrudging Hereford (or Simmentals, or Limis, etc) anything. I don't think the cattle business is a competition. There's a demand for all kinds of beef. It's an important part of a breed association's job to educate commercial cattlemen about the good qualities of their breed. The Angus Association has done that well. I would totally agree with you that Angus cattle are not necessarily the best in every category. But they just don't have many downsides.

Frankie":1gfou03b said:
cattle_gal":1gfou03b said:
Lynn36331":1gfou03b said:
I tried to post to let y'all know that we did buy both of them but my reply never showed up. Anyway, we did buy both of them and will be picking them up this coming Saturday. I won't be going with my husband to get them because part of our purchase was a trade for one of our donkeys. I will be staying home and mostly likely be crying. But, I am excited to get momma and son. I've read all the posts now about red vs black and must say that I'm confused. Did I make a mistake by getting them? Lynn

With all the black and red talk on differences I thought I'd get out some information for you to read. Midland Bull Test ultrasounds. Average %IMF :BA=3.80 RA=3.27, ave REA/CWT: BA: 1.01 RA=1.01 , ave Rib Fat: BA= .225 RA= .23, ave REA: BA= 12.2 RA=12.2

Interesting. Is that a final repor from a current testt? Can you tell us how many bulls from each breed? And what about Average Daily Gain of the two breeds?

That was from last test. There were over 500 on test in the BA and about 200 in the RA. The BA ADG was 3.18 in group 1 and 324 in group 2 WDA in group 1 at scan was 3.25 and group 2 was 3.24. RA group 1 was 3.33 ADG and 3.53 in Group 2. WDA in group 1 was 3.19 and 3.25 in group 2.

Way to pick and choose the data Frankie:

While you are busy quoting about how great Angus have always been in the feedlot gain, it becomes pretty obvious that you have a very biased view, why don't you look at the MARC data you are quoting, and you can see that for yourself how they performed for feedlot gain 30 years ago, then you can also see how infertile Angus are as well. I'll give you a hint, they were low gainers, and they are pretty poor reproducers.

mtnman

CHB is a blend of Choice and Select as a marketing choice, not because Herefords cannot grade choice. Ridgefield has a Hereford program with more similar guidlines to CAB. Take a poll and ask all the members of this board what their experiences have been with Angus bulls staying home. No offense. Take Care, more later when I have time.

greenwillowherefords":3erqyjlh said:
Take a poll and ask all the members of this board what their experiences have been with Angus bulls staying home. No offense. Take Care, more later when I have time.
Don't have to poll anybody, Willow! You're talking about old hearsay. In fact, you're the only person I've heard talk about that c.rap in years. Tell us what your personal experience is with Angus bulls getting out. Cattlemen that have enough work for a bull to do don't have any trouble keeping them in. Doesn't matter what color he is.

Texan":39f1rmy0 said:
greenwillowherefords":39f1rmy0 said:
Take a poll and ask all the members of this board what their experiences have been with Angus bulls staying home. No offense. Take Care, more later when I have time.
Don't have to poll anybody, Willow! You're talking about old hearsay. In fact, you're the only person I've heard talk about that c.rap in years. Tell us what your personal experience is with Angus bulls getting out. Cattlemen that have enough work for a bull to do don't have any trouble keeping them in. Doesn't matter what color he is.

Texan, upon my honor, my uncle in the same town I live near has sold three Black Angus bulls in a row because he couldn't keep them in. They were servicing around 30 cows. The people I lease from used to have cattle. When they had Angus, it was the same story.I don't say that they are all like that, and I don't say that all Herefords stay home, but you wouldn't believe the sorry fences that have contained my Hereford bulls.

Back to CHB versus CAB. If CHB had been a carbon copy of CAB upon start-up, what would there be to differentiate it? They limited the breeds eligible for crossing to English, and decided on a blend of Choice and Select. I have personally eaten both CAB AND CHB, and I couldn't honestly say that I could tell the difference. They were both fantastic, albeit no better than my own home-raised beef.

I have personally seen a copy of the results of one group of steers sired by Bill Bennett Hereford bulls out of Washington state. There were around a hundred from one ranch that had an ADG over 5 in the feedlot. That's just one example of many.

I want to clarify something. Frankie, you have the real world experience that qualifies you as a guru no matter how many posts you've made online. The same goes for Texan, CC, Ollie, Txag and a number of the members on this board. I like and respect you. But even gurus are not God, therefore they are not infallible. Please accept my apologies if I came across as mean-spirited.

greenwillowherefords":wc4kt0hc said:
I want to clarify something. Frankie, you have the real world experience that qualifies you as a guru no matter how many posts you've made online. The same goes for Texan, CC, Ollie, Txag and a number of the members on this board. I like and respect you. But even gurus are not God, therefore they are not infallible. Please accept my apologies if I came across as mean-spirited.

willow, you have stated my sentiments exactly. There is a big difference in posting beneficial information, as compared to just posting words that are of no benefit to anyone.The people that you have mentioned are true gurus when it comes to knowledge and information posted. We can all learn something from them as compared to some others.

GWH, you didn't come across as mean spirited. Don't take these boards so seriously. :D You'll notice how my simple post disagreeing that Red Angus and Angus are the same was blasted by several people? It's been an on-going thing for years that some people can't promote their breed without bashing Angus. Some of that's to be expected, since Angus is at the top of the heap these days. But many of us remember when they were not in the prominant position theyr'e in today. It's taken years for CAB to be the most recognized branded beef program in the world. CHB became proitable in about five years. Would they have become profitable so quickly if CAB hadn't paved the way? I doubt it. There are more options for producers raising high quality cattle today than ever before and I think that's a good thing.

BTW, we're surrounded by small producers running Angus bulls. I've never had one of them in my pastures. I've never seen any producer complaining about keeping their bulls home. When we used Angus bulls we never had a problem. But we never had a problem with the one Charloais bull we used either. We bought our bulls young and kept them in good fences. Maybe that has something to do with it. I have a friend who put a ring in his Simmental's nose with a log chain on it and still couldn't keep him home! Another friend used to look forward to weekends when he could load up his horse and help his grandpa round up his Limousin bulls. He knew there'd be at least one out of the right pasture every weekend. I think you'll find those bulls in every breed.

What a great (and spirited) discussion!

Coming from a family of black Angus breeders my choice of cattle as a kid was pretty well defined. For years, I have looked at a lot of cattle breeds both for 4-H projects and just for pure interest in breeds and breeding. Virtually every breed organization (and breeder) claims that their breed is the best. What organization do you know would claim "Biggest frame in the business, but they don't cycle until they are three years old", "Great mother cows, they'll attack you in your truck", "Most milk - but worst udders" or "Jaw building tough meat - but lots of it!"
Personnally my ideal cow has a well attached even udder, a good attitude, isn't huge frame wise (900-1200lbs), calves easily, weans a 600+ lbs calf with great gain potential and breeds back quickly. Are there breeds that can fit this description? You bet!! Are there individuals within these or any breed that couldn't possibly meet any of these criteria? Oh yeah! What is the bottom line - making money - would any of us keep a problem cow just because of her breed? Those folks in Texas and other southern states have other breed issues such as heat and tick resistance that may be high priority for breed selection. For anyone new to cattle breeds and breeding, the amount of information (and misinformation) available about any and every breed is astounding! Thanks for a great forum!

Thanks for the welcome, I'm glad to find a good forum for the discussion of all aspects of beef. I read a quote by a Montana rancher in an MSU ag brochure last night, unfortunately I can't remember his name. He said "My favorite color of cows? Fat, of course!" I had to laugh, thinking of the discussion here!

Dana Kopp":1izy42vy said:
Thanks for the welcome, I'm glad to find a good forum for the discussion of all aspects of beef. I read a quote by a Montana rancher in an MSU ag brochure last night, unfortunately I can't remember his name. He said "My favorite color of cows? Fat, of course!" I had to laugh, thinking of the discussion here!

We need a few more Montanans to keep all these Texans honest!!!!!!!! :lol:

Oldtimer":k9pa0tku said:
Dana Kopp":k9pa0tku said:

Whoa I resemble that remark ;-) Welcome

Oldtimer":2eboyxyk said:
You're sure right about that, Oldtimer! Welcome to the Boards, Dana. Enjoyed your posts so far. Let's hear some more. You're in great company with Oldtimer and Cattle_gal. Lots of knowledge in Montana, for sure. I always look forward to hearing from you guys.

Oldtimer":275c0nu0 said:

Welcome aboard Dana! Oldtimer's bound to be glad to have the company. That lone wolf from the north has been holding down the fort on his own for a while. Makes him kind of mean if he doesn't have somebody covering his flank now and then. ;-)

Craig-TX

Latest posts