Did you learn on your own with no help?

Help Support CattleToday:

NECowboy

Reaction score
On other post someone suggested working for someone or finding a mentor. Where I work full time during the week and farm economy is not doing well, lot of people are not hiring. I'm not even necessarily looking for pay would gladly intern but for whatever reason (parents busy helping kids learn, people don't have time, people that are competitive and hostile, people don't have the business need for more help even unpaid, people don't want me to learn their trade secrets, a combination of these, or many other reasons) I have been unable to find this type of practical experience or a mentor. I'm going to check with my state cattlemens association to see if they have any kind of mentor programs with available mentor I could connect with but otherwise I feel I'm on my own.

Learning on own is important and there is a lot of self study one can do to a certain level. This forum is great for asking and answering questions. But most people (myself included) are visual learners that learn by doing and just like my dad helping teach me how to play golf, there's no substitute for first hand observation and practical experience.

So did everyone here grow up in farming background with relatives to teach them or did you learn it on your own? What did u find most useful in the learning process (workshops, practical experience/job, books, magazines, trial and error, mentor etc?). Thanks y'all for all the advice given thus far!!! :D

My FIL passed away a few months before I married my wife. He ran 80-100 head but after he passed the MIL sold out and the farm sat empty for about 5 months. I saw an opportunity to make some money and learn something new. The wife I went to the sale barn and starting buying. I had read everything I could and jumped in head first. 7 years later I am still learning and growing. I had no help or mentors but I knew if I paid cash and kept inputs low I could learn and minimize risk.

I've had minimal helP from my dad. He learned from his FIL a mostly just let them be type herd. As far as learning beyond that I've read a lot here and go to the ag field days when I can. I have a friend with a bigger operation that has let me help work his herd a couple times but that's been over two years ago since I've been there.

I am 64 years old and I started this cow life 5 years ago. I am plugging along as best I can and I have a couple of special guys here that will answer my question no matter how stupid the question was. I get help from neighbors and still make a bunch of mistakes.

It's a whole lot easier to learn working for someone else...

How "planted" are you in Nebraska? I know a few places around the country that are pretty decent to learn about cows. I'll be honest though, the best education is a little like John Wayne's The Cowboys and it's a little brutal...

I'd say I'm about 50/50. I grew up around cattle and was a working cowboy for a few years but I taught myself how to AI and a bunch of what I've learned has come from that line of work. I got to see lots of different operations just by being there to breed a few and since everything affects fertility the door is open to talk about management when I step on the place.

I grew up in it. Daddy ran several head, and we helped in every aspect. I see lots of people post on here, that are self taught. I always respect that. I have some problems on the farm everyday, and several problems somedays. Lots of problems, get headed off just by experience. A beginner doesn't have that luxury.

I grew up around cattle and was totally committed to it. I'm 68 and still learning! While I have seldom hesitated to take a chance or to learn I must thank a number of people who helped and advised me along the way. Because of this I have always been willing to pass along some of what they provided me. Think out of the box and be willing to jump in with both feet when you feel you have done proper home work. People who respect hard work and effort will come along side you and give you the help you need.

Reading and doing. Just have to be able to realize mistakes and be willing to make them and learn from them.

Grew up in it, learned "the old way" then learned a newer way via 3 yrs VoAg, which is now "the old way". Got away from it for years, got back in working for someone else and learned good and bad from them, then got my own, and made my own mistakes, "paid the stupid tax" (as CB says) and read everything I can nowadays. Still learnin--still screwin up--still happy with it.

Are you planning on operating in the Rocky Mountain West? Is your goals a hobby farm or do you intend to earn your livelyhood solely from beef cattle? If the latter, you better be a master counterfeiter or richer than Bill Gates. Viable operations in Colorado require large tracts of real estate. Large tracts of land have logistic challenges. If you are starting from scratch, your fist step is acquiring property by purchase or lease. Where you are, that is a challenge few will overcome. To run a herd of 100 cows in the Rocky Mountain West, will require a large capital investment.

Here in Kentucky, the challenge is not as great. The scale and scope of your operation can be downsized. A $100,000 in Colorado will buy you enough infrastructune to raise a few goats. In Kentucky, you could buy 60 acres and then borrow another $80,000 to put up fences, buildings and handling facilities. Then borrow another $100,000 for tractor, implements, etc.

Candidly, the vocation of cattle husbandry is difficult to get into if you are starting from scratch!

When we bought the ranch I had never even been close to a cow; this was going to be my husband's retirement hobby. Bought 33 bred cows & I fell in love. Learned by jumping in, help/advise from neighbors, read everything I could, took classes, worked closely with our vets (2 in the practice), found a mentor, went to the Sale Barn and talked to "seasoned" ranchers. Made mistakes, learned what not to do, still learning. Seven years later they're essentially MY girls - I manage the cattle & he manages the pastures, hay, maintenance, etc.

My Dad quit row cropping when I was 14. We never had animals except a pig I caught in the greasy pig contest at the fair and a few chickens that my dog liked to chase.

I went on to work in an office for 35 years. I am still working but am lucky to do it from the farm I bought a few years ago. I have been working for a few months now getting the farm ready for animals. I been lucky to have a young man come on with me to work things every day, while I still earn money.

I should have cattle this time next year. I had no real understanding how much work it is, and how much money it costs. That said, I love it, and can't wait until the operation is fully up and running.

As far as getting help, mentoring, interning, hanging around to learn. Folks are so busy, it is hard for them to make time. I am hoping I get it going without breaking my neck or breaking the bank. Some might think I am going too slow (SKY), but I like to do things at a pace that gets it done right. I'll get there.

I can go a few years not making money, but the joy will be short lived if it doesn't get in the black at some point in the near future.
img-thing

HDRider said:
My Dad quit row cropping when I was 14. We never had animals except a pig I caught in the greasy pig contest at the fair and a few chickens that my dog liked to chase.

I went on to work in an office for 35 years. I am still working but am lucky to do it from the farm I bought a few years ago. I have been working for a few months now getting the farm ready for animals. I been lucky to have a young man come on with me to work things every day, while I still earn money.

I should have cattle this time next year. I had no real understanding how much work it is, and how much money it costs. That said, I love it, and can't wait until the operation is fully up and running.

As far as getting help, mentoring, interning, hanging around to learn. Folks are so busy, it is hard for them to make time. I am hoping I get it going without breaking my neck or breaking the bank. Some might think I am going too slow (SKY), but I like to do things at a pace that gets it done right. I'll get there.

I can go a few years not making money, but the joy will be short lived if it doesn't get in the black at some point in the near future.

HDR, timing is everything in business and I feel your getting in at the right time. But it sure doesn't take long for the good times to turn in the cattle business either.

My father always had a few cows, and then was hired to manage a ranch in the early 1980's and I worked for him some there. I grew up helping him with the cattle, and learned a lot from him, but that doesn't mean I still do everything like he did. I've learned some stuff other places, and changed some practices just by thinking about better ways to do things.

Latest posts