Did you ever steal anything as a kid?

Help Support CattleToday:

dun":17qbcz1l said:
It's interesting that so many cases ended up with a good wuppin at home. I'll bet none of those that got that wuppin have ever been shot by a cop for breaking the law. I was shot at by a cop but that was because he caught his wife at my house, when I saw the gun I jumped out the bedroom window.

Also, notice another common thread in these stories, "food" or in most "treats". Demonstrates what kids value. :)

dun":6xzw34bu said:
It's interesting that so many cases ended up with a good wuppin at home. I'll bet none of those that got that wuppin have ever been shot by a cop for breaking the law. I was shot at by a cop but that was because he caught his wife at my house, when I saw the gun I jumped out the bedroom window.

He should have shot her first......good thing you were nimble or we might have never heard of you.

dun":1mafw209 said:
Hmm..brings back not-so-fond memories of an encounter I had with a poodle back in the bad old days when I was between wives and up to my eyeballs in booze...I might expound on that sordid time in a separate thread when my hands stop shaking from the memory of it. :cry2: :cry2: :frowns:

yes and was good at it ,stores only never would steal from a person , got busted at 14 when I was not stealing ( 2 friends I was with were ) never did it again ,and I do not lie , but said I did because I knew of 1 item but not the rest ,dumb I know
my kids got their butts wooped for stealing also
Suzanne

This has been interesting. I'm glad to know I'm not alone! Like Inyati, I carry guilt over my crimes. I took coins from my mom's purse a few times when the ice cream truck gave out its siren call. (It played "Little Brown Jug"--you could hear it coming for blocks). In some families a few coins would have been nothing, but we were quite poor at the time. My mom often scrounged pennies to put a gallon of gas in the tank to get to her job, so taking a handful of dimes and quarters wasn't very nice. Funny how many kids' thievery does seem to revolve around treats (or for some, when older, smokes!).

Another time (and this once I feel quite badly about too, as I was a good bit older--in high school, actually) I was staying overnight at a friend's house. My immediate family had continued to be quite poor; my folks were divorced at a time when noncustodial parents paid very little if anything in child support. Mom was a full-time teacher but this was back when teachers made peanuts. So, things most people take for granted (food, toothpaste, tp, a towel and wash cloth) were often in short supply. Anyway, I went to take a shower at my friend's house the morning of my sleepover, and they had the most amazing thing on an open shelf in the bathroom: a STACK of washcloths, all assorted colors. Not fancy, but several DOZEN of them. At our house, we were brushing our teeth with baking soda and sharing a single towel or two for 4 people. A washcloth was quite a luxury. I snuck a somewhat worn, dark blue one into my overnight things, deeply embarrassed even as I was doing it. I kept that thing for many years, just as a reminder...guess I felt I deserved the guilt. Never did tell my friend. I doubt they ever noticed, but I knew.

About the same time I got a visitors' pass to the local YMCA for a few visits. They had loose tp rolls in the locker room stalls and I took one, knowing that we had just run out and would be scrounging for tissues or napkins until mom's payday. THAT one, I do not lay awake at night over.

Although I continue (obviously!) to feel guilty, these instances also taught me that poverty can lead people to be tested in a way that people who haven't experienced it may not be able to fully understand. And that kids really like sweets! And tp...and sometimes, a washcloth.

I stole a number of Playboys from the neighbors garage sale. They were placed at the edge of the garage near an ornamental tree that made perfect cover for a 10 yr old. I think I went to the well once to often and either got spied in the act or put under surveillance one somebody asked " did you sell the Playboys?" It was an eye opening experience from start to finish!

Kingfisher":21c8alcr said:
I stole a number of Playboys from the neighbors garage sale. They were placed at the edge of the garage near an ornamental tree that made perfect cover for a 10 yr old. I think I went to the well once to often and either got spied in the act or put under surveillance one somebody asked " did you sell the Playboys?" It was an eye opening experience from start to finish!

That--is the funniest one yet!! :lol: :lol:

greybeard":1jm9j2ki said:
Kingfisher":1jm9j2ki said:

That--is the funniest one yet!! :lol: :lol:

Like someone else said it's usually about treats. What cracks me up is that you can see more skin on network tv now than you could see in Playboy when it first came out.

Baseball cards. Probably around the age of 12. And if you new how good of a kid I was back then you'd be shocked. Don't know what got in to me when I was there every week. It came up in a topic of conversation when I was in my mid 20s and my parents were in shock. I think I did it because the owners of the card shop were real A**holes sometimes, and I thought it was totatlly unfair how much below market value they'd give you for your cards but then they charged 30-50% more for theirs.

5 years old took nails from uncles open tool box... Why? no clue thought they were cool I guess. Mom found them made me go return them and apologize for stealing them. That fixed me . I didn't get a spanking or anything just sheer embarrassment was enough.

Kingfisher":29rp38hn said:

Did you go blind? :) :lol: :lol:

Watermelons and tomatoes. There is nothing better than a sun warmed tomato right off the vine. I used to carry a bit of salt wrapped up in wax paper just in case the tomato presented itself.

I am sure I did other bad things but the one I remember the most is kinda goofy. I was over at my Aunts house playing with my cousins and I stole a pair of finger nail clippers don't know why just did. By the time I had gotten home my Aunt had already called my Mom and she chewed me out and made me return them.

I never have knowingly. We lived in town for about two months once when I was about nine while our house was being remodeled and one of our neighbors had an antique coke machine in his back yard and one of the neighbor kids convinced me that he didn't care if we helped ourselves to a coke. I really didn't want anything to do with it as it felt BAD but he was a little older than me and I didn't want to look like a scaredy cat so we had a coke.
The neighbors wife was home and saw us take them and had a talk with our parents. The other kids parents didn't give a shyt but my dad drove back out to our country house for a plum switch AND I had to do a bunch of yard work for the neighbor while the kid that talked me into it was cruising up and down the street on his bike.

When I was in first, or second grade, a classmate got caught stealing an eraser. I thought it was the biggest news I had ever heard in my life. When my dad got in that night, I couldn't wait to tell him. As soon as I told him, he said well that figures--------It seems the boy's father had gone to grade school with my dad, and had been caught stealing. My Dad gave me a pretty long speech about how if you get caught stealing, that people never seem to forget. That's been almost 40 years ago for me, and I still remember the kids name. It's been almost 70 years ago for my dad, and I'm sure he still remembers the boys fathers name. Not much of a story, but it made a lasting impression on me.

chrisy":2b2ha4fl said:
I remember my Dad once said to me 'you can trust a thief but you can't trust a liar, as you know what he will do, but a liar!'
Unfortunately "lying" and "stealing" seem to go hand in hand with people that do it enough. They eventually have to lie to cover their tracks.

The only thing that I can remember ever stealing as a child was a couple of penny candies from a bin at the store. I was not caught, but I felt so guilty that I would hide on the floor in the car every time we drove by the store. (I don't know why exactly. I guess because I was ashamed.) I always wanted to go in and buy something and tell them to "keep the change" to make it right. :frowns:
I remember that it was a horrible feeling, and I never wanted to ever do it again.

Latest posts