Dewormer block Vs pour on

Help Support CattleToday:

plbcattle

Reaction score
due the biblical rains we have had, our loading road(mud hole) is a mess. We have more rain today and tonite. The cattle are almost impossible to get to the chute right now. It is time to worm and I cant get them up for the Pour on. Have any of you had any luck with the blocks. I know it may not be the best but should i wait till i can get them in the chute or use the blocks. Does it also get mites/lice or only internal. Any info will be appreciated

It seems to me when the blocks go out, some of the cows get plenty and some don't touch it.

With pour on or injection, I know what cows have been treated.

Horn flies are terrible already.

There are some feed companies that make a wormer "cube". (Texas Farm Products, aka Lone Star Feeds) here in Texas did make one and probably still does. Active ingredient is usually fenbendazol (same as the blocks). If the cattle get the amount they need they probably work well. Larger cattle will probably eat more and they should but treating each cow individually with an injectible or pour on is the only way to make sure they get an adequate dose and even then you're guessing the weight on each cow. Personally I give all adult cattle a dose for 1500 lbs. of bodyweight to be sure. Calves from 2 months up to 500 lbs. get the dosage for a 550 lb. weight. This may be a bit of overkill but better to waste it using it than by keeping what the cattle really needed in the bottle.

I'd wait till you can get them in the chute. Like backhoeboogie said. You kow that the got treated when you get them into the chute. If you get off a 2 or 3 weeks in deworming it isn't a major issue.

plbcattle":1h58e727 said:
I know it may not be the best but should i wait till i can get them in the chute or use the blocks. Does it also get mites/lice or only internal. Any info will be appreciated

I would wait until I could get them in the chute, and then use the pour on. Reason being is that I can control the dosage with pour on, and that is not possible with a block.

Using too much dewormer is a practice many use but is not a wise idea. I am sure many of you have heard someone say a cow was very wormy so they gave more than was recommended. This can be fatal to an unborn calf or to the cow itself. The less the animal weighs, the less room there is for error is dosage as well.

When it comes to worming, you should always follow the directions.

Santas and Duhram Reds":3959rwt5 said:
Using too much dewormer is a practice many use but is not a wise idea. I am sure many of you have heard someone say a cow was very wormy so they gave more than was recommended. This can be fatal to an unborn calf or to the cow itself. The less the animal weighs, the less room there is for error is dosage as well.

When it comes to worming, you should always follow the directions.

These products have to pass some stringent testing before being put on the market with any recommended application rates and warnings. They are tested and pass at many times the recommended rates prior to approval in order to ensure safety.

Santas and Duhram Reds":1mqva0k2 said:
Texasbred, if you want to run the gambit with your own herd and not follow recomended dosages, that is your business, but don't advise it to someone else.

Santas, that was exactly what I did....I gave no advice...just stated what I did...if you want to guess weights and take chances of not giving adequate amounts that's your business as well. Best of luck to ya. :tiphat:

Latest posts