Depth of Rib?

Help Support CattleToday:

angus9259

Reaction score
Why does depth of rib and / or "capacity" actually matter in beef cattle?

Indicator of how well they can convert forage.How many pencil gutted cows have you seen do well on marginal pasture?

You may not wan't a lot of compacity in your wife unless she is pregnant :)

A larger heart girth & overall depth does help with conversion, IMHO. Conversion & rate of gain are 2 different things.

Interesting. I wonder how exactly the capacity of a cow aids conversion. Is capacity actually required for things to work better (more room or something)?

Depth of Rib, capacity, spring of rib, whatever you want to call it - it means ROOM for roughage & calf. I always tell people they should be able to picture a 50 gal drum inside their cow. If not, she probably does not have enough capacity to carry a 70# calf and be able to consume enough roughage (hay or grass) to be able to maintain her pregnancy & body weight.
A gutless wonder usually needs suppliment to breed back every year. Of course, there are always EXCEPTIONS. But, this is the "norm".

a short ribbed cow doesnt have the capicity to eat alot of forage.because she hasnt got a big enough stomach to hold the forage she needs.a long bodied cow can support herself an her calf better.because she can consume more foage.if you have a short ribbed heavy milking cow.she will pull way down.because she hasnt got the room to convert alot of forage.

Depth of rib is overrated at this point in time.

Ask your dad or grandpa if they worried about it as much as we do. They didn't. It only became such a hot topic after the pencil guts didn't work.

Now, we select for too much depth and guts for no real purpose. Some of these cattle are more potty that even the runts of the 50's.

Guts are high energy tissue, no need to make extra just to use energy and cut out on the packing room floor.

We need cattle with good rib shape and hearth girth, but not extreme. It's one of those things you can't explain. You have to know it when you see it. Mostly what I see is wasteful excess.

If more was better, all these deep-bodied cattle would be pregnant. They aren't.

Badlands

mtnman":3shognv3 said:

Ask your dad or grandpa if they worried about it as much as we do. They didn't. It only became such a hot topic after the pencil guts didn't work.

Now, we select for too much depth and guts for no real purpose. Some of these cattle are more potty that even the runts of the 50's.

Guts are high energy tissue, no need to make extra just to use energy and cut out on the packing room floor.

We need cattle with good rib shape and hearth girth, but not extreme. It's one of those things you can't explain. You have to know it when you see it. Mostly what I see is wasteful excess.

If more was better, all these deep-bodied cattle would be pregnant. They aren't.

Badlands
ok badlands i always thought you and mtnman are the same person, and now the signature was that a slip ;-) up

ALACOWMAN":vz7nwz1d said:
mtnman":vz7nwz1d said:

Badlands
ok badlands i always thought you and mtnman are the same person, and now the signature was that a slip ;-) up

Oops! :lol2:

mtnman":nkv8ihcm said:

Badlands

Capacity probably relates to the quality of the forage. Big gutted cows do well on our high endophyte KY13 fescue, but it would be excess on a higher quality forage.

bigbull338":7vahsne1 said:
a short ribbed cow doesnt have the capicity to eat alot of forage.because she hasnt got a big enough stomach to hold the forage she needs.a long bodied cow can support herself an her calf better.because she can consume more foage.if you have a short ribbed heavy milking cow.she will pull way down.because she hasnt got the room to convert alot of forage.

Maybe she could just eat more often?

Exactly. If capacity translates to the ability to a greater place to put more forage, that doesn't mean the cow will convert better. If she got hungry, she'd just eat more often (on lower capacity) or less often (higher capacity). Even if she were bred and the calf were taking up stomach room, she'd just eat more seems to me.

angus9259":3a3nt50k said:
Exactly. If capacity translates to the ability to a greater place to put more forage, that doesn't mean the cow will convert better. If she got hungry, she'd just eat more often (on lower capacity) or less often (higher capacity). Even if she were bred and the calf were taking up stomach room, she'd just eat more seems to me.

It still takes time for them to ruminate and process the feed. There's also that sleep problem. If they can hold more at one sitting it seems to me they would spend less time grazing or traveling to graze.