Depressed bull??

Help Support CattleToday:

Where I am Flukes aren't much of a problem. But, I was wondering is there a different "class" as in chemical of de-wormer that is effective against Liver Flukes? I'm thinking hooknline may be on to something. I know with my hogs, horses, and cattle I will rotate classes/chemicals for dewormers.

Katherine

actually it is not good to rotate wormers. You end up with a "super" worm. One that is resistant to all classes of wormers. Use one for a longer time period before changing.

When you rotate, a certain number of worms will survive. For example, you de-worm with A. A certain number survive. You worm with B, then you have survivers that are resistant to A & B. Worm next go round with C and then you have worms resistant to A,B, and C.

True. However it sounds like the op's bull either didnt get the full dose or the flukes there have gotten resistant to the 'plus' of the ivermec plus.

Seems like I remember there are two types of flukes. Common and deer flukes I think. I think Ivomec Plus only takes care of one kind of flukes. I am no vet and haven't looked at that information in a while.

For what its worth.

Farmgirl

The ivomec plus doesnt work on deerflukes. And from what i just read they arent very common in cattle and the treament it darn mear the lethal levels

I guess if there is something good about all this it is that ours are not deer flukes. But nonetheless treatment is hard on them. The cure is almost as bad as the disease! Flukes are becoming a bigger problem here. We are only 17 miles from the gulf of Mexico. During hurricane Ike the surge was a half mile from our house. Our pasture isn't marshy, in fact it is very high and dry but our climate is pretty mild. All week our temps are in the 70's. And i love it. Bad side is that our winters don't kill things you would like to be killed. The drought did kill ticks. Haven't seen a tick since prolly may!

Somehow I dint see that post about the temp changes. I didn't mean that. From what we have read, it says early spring and early fall. But that changes some according to rain levels. Isn't that right? We don't know. In July they had them and we treated them all. Bull got sick in oct. and fecal showed flukes so he was treated then and then a second dose right after thanksgiving. And he has still been sick so we did a fecal today and it still shows flukes and worms! Vet. Is coming back tomorrow and we are going to talk about what needs to be done. We don't want to risk him dying from liver damage. He doesn't show signs of anemia and his blood counts were good. I see you live in Florida. How often and what dosages do y'all treat your cattle with?? The dosage we gave is just what is on the bottle. I will look and tell you.

The dose we gave was 1 ml per 110 lbs. bull weighs approx. 2000 lbs. What would you recommend and should we wait until we get his immunity back up?

Has anyone mentioned Lumpy Jaw ? I have a black, reg. Gelbvieh herd sire here (south central florida) who got hit by a cotton mouth moccasin about 8 months ago. got the vet out, he cleaned it out...it is also on his jaw about as you described yours...it swelled up.created a raw sore. we have done .some of what you describe To make a long story short, the sore got bigger, and begin to drain and is still draining. It seems it went into a bacterial bone infection called lumpy jaw! However, he is still eating fairly well but certainly not his usual active self. Im new on here. please keep us posted.

If you dose according to the ivermec plus they are only getting a half dose of the ingredient for flukes. That only will get the adults. Not the juviniles.
Also you should try to treat your pastures for snails as they are the intermediate host necc for fluke transfer
Heres a good article on the whole deal including recc dosing
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/vm089

I wouldnt rule out lumpy jaw either. Vet should be able to tell if its gotten that far. But frim what coleen has said, id bet the flukes are dragging him down.

Thank you. No lumpy jaw yet. He's coming back today and we are going to talk about what to do.

So are you saying instead of 1 ml per 100 lbs that we should give 2 ml. Per 100? Is this what u would give your cows?

What im saying is that is the amount of the fluke med needed to kill the juvies. Now with ivermec plus that may be too much of the ivermec side. Id dose with the actual fluke med and not the ivermec plus. Or Id ask the vet if a double dose of the ivermec plus is ok.
We dont have a fluke problem so ive never had to deal with it.
Check out the link and it will help you have a better understanding of what youre dealing with

I understand. He also showed to have other worms still too. Which is really hard to believe. Vet was surprised too. Treated oct and dec. Not sure what kind they are. Will find out at noon, when he gets here. Thanks!

Negative. Pretty confident it's just the flukes and common worms, low immunity and a snake bite. lol. He's had 2 fecals and 2 sets of blood work, oct and yesterday. Blood is still all good. Hopefully on the road to recovery. I know the boosters are helping but it sure was good to see him eating hay and feed today. His head was up and his ears were up higher. He was showing interest. Made me smile!!

Latest posts