Deformed Steer/Bull with DD

Help Support CattleToday:

I see about three a year. It still scares the shyt out of me to go strolling along through my heifer pens and have a spare hoof in the way when I try to read an eartag.
I have to go figure out how to say "I don't care what your boss says, cull that one" in spanish.

With stuff like that, if you don't select against it, I figure you're pretty much selecting FOR it.. and it's not what we need.

When I was about 7 or 8 saw a 5 legged cow at a carnival. The one leg came off the shoulder has well. I have never forgotten it.

Used to be a place in Oakley Kansas called, Prarie Dog Town. They specialized in the odd deformities, had a 5 and 6 legged cow at one time. Been 30 years since I was by there.

LRTX1":ahhc7fam said:
Used to be a place in Oakley Kansas called, Prarie Dog Town. They specialized in the odd deformities, had a 5 and 6 legged cow at one time. Been 30 years since I was by there.
There was a taxidermist one here a year or so ago that was looking for deformities to mount. Kinda creeped me out. It's bad enough seeing them the first time. I don't want it imortalised on my wall. :lol:

cow pollinater":2g7622ll said:
I see about three a year. It still scares the shyt out of me to go strolling along through my heifer pens and have a spare hoof in the way when I try to read an eartag.
I have to go figure out how to say "I don't care what your boss says, cull that one" in spanish.

You're seeing that on your *dairy* heifer pens?? I haven't heard of these sorts of abnormalities in Friesians/Jerseys - not born alive anyway. CVM is supposed to be lethal.