Debruycker Charolais Bulls

Help Support CattleToday:

We made 2 expos this summer with a 12 years old LHD Cigar (A.I. from a Debruycker bull) good udder and never touch the hooves. She finish first of her class the 2 times with a Silverstream Geddes heifer calf.

Found this on Debruckers site thought you might enjoy.
http://www.debruyckercharolais.com/char ... o-dams.htm

Big Cheese are you able to run 1/3 more longhorns than beef cows per acre, calve 99% every year unassisted, no vet bills, pay half as much for those cows that last twice as long and still get 85% of the price of a beef feeder steer?

Yes Uncle Dude your right. I think when I did the math last year it was 3 Longhorns to 2 beef cows....and we have a few smaller Longhorns that you could argue it could be 4-2. We have only had to pull two since we had them but one of those was a heifer that was probably bred to early but both calves lived. And we have only lost 2 that weren't born alive. No vet bill and under $1000 average per cow and 85% sounds about right we've had a good few top the sale. We are just now starting to sale our Charolais crosses though so next year should be way better. I love them and love the way the calves grow and perform.

Thought about doing what you are doing myself, just wanted to see if you were getting the same numbers I was guestimating. How much additional profit do to you predict using 1/2 Char LH cows instead of LH cows since you can run a few more LH per acre and LH are cheaper replacements? From what I have read you still get the LH calving ease, longevity, fertility, disease & heat resistance with the LH X cow plus less horns.

Hard to beat showing up at the sale with 40% more calves and only taking a 15% cut on sale price! That is guestimating a 1/3 more calves from 1/3 more LH cows per acre who calve 99% live calf no matter what, compared to traditional beef cow that would have a 10% open calving season, plus only needing 1/2 as many replacements cows since LH produce in to their late teens.

We've only got 1 Longhorn Charolais cross cow right now so I can't give very accurate numbers with them I will know more this time next year about Longhorn Cross cows because we have some Longhorn Black Balancer cross heifers that will be calving in the Spring. But the one Longhorn Charolais cross cow we have we sold two calves this year off of her (bought her bred Jan 2014 sold calf in April and Oct) and both calves brought top dollar at the sale that day. The 2nd calf was a 3/4 Charolias 1/4 Longhorn and was Solid white and at 5 months old(we sold it early because she had it so fast after we sold her first calf which caught us off guard) it weighed 400 pounds. Based off that one cow I love them. I feel like all of them will be just as good as her.

I think it's really smart to buy Longhorns as replacements when you can get them cheap. Keep them a few years they pay for themselves then you can replace them with a heifer if they don't cut it for you.

Our mentor told us this when he started telling us about the Longhorn Charolais process.....if the cow has a live calf every year on time she's a keeper...regardless. The calves will get better every year. Especially with Longhorns they don't reach their prime until 8-10 years old.

I think you have a great plan that makes $ sense! I have read about the LH cow breeding back so fast after calving that you could almost have 5 calves in a 4 year span if the bull was in year round. If that was true, you could possible have an extra 4 calves out of that cow if she bred back that fast and lived into her late teens.

I don't if ours are breeding back that fast lol but they are breeding back fast. If we can get them doing that we will definitely be rocking and rolling then.

Latest posts