Debruycker Charolais Bulls

Help Support CattleToday:

Rafter S":j1nicazn said:
I don't mean for this to sound harsh, so please don't take it that way, but I can't see traveling from Arkansas to Montana to buy a bull to use on Longhorns.
I would worry about bringing cattle from west to east.

M.Magis":1zbnwpcn said:
fnfarms1":1zbnwpcn said:
I think that quality comes down to preference in some cases.
The only preference that should matter in this case is that of the buyers. There comes a point where you're spending dollars to make quarters. I don't know where that point is, but I suspect trucking high dollar bulls thousands of miles to put on average longhorns might be getting close. Nothing against the cows, it's just a matter of making the best financial choice.

My dad always told me "raise what you like, if that's Belgium blues, watusi, or a rare breed of pigs. If you raise what you like, you will want to do the extra work to make it happen." I'm saying if a Longhorn cross is their preference, make the best one you can. As for price of bulls, I don't buy brand new vehicles due to cost. doesn't mean those that do are wrong, just depends how you choose to spend your$. Same with bulls, in my opinion. I think his question was on bull quality, he realizes they come with a heavier price tag.

BC":1zbnwpcn said:
Rafter S":1zbnwpcn said:
I don't mean for this to sound harsh, so please don't take it that way, but I can't see traveling from Arkansas to Montana to buy a bull to use on Longhorns.

Good point. Not sure how that'd work

I went back and read the original post. I didnt find in there where the cow herd of the poster was in question. I see a lot of people putting comments on here about his "plain old longhorns" or something to that effect. How does anybody know the quality of this operation? They might be the best longhorns in the world. Obviously the cross is something this breeder is happy with and would like to continue doing it, with the best bull possible. I never have heard of somebody bragging about the new mediocre or bottom rung bull they just got. I have not ever seen anybody buying the cheapest junk they can find and posting pictures on CT to show everybody. I have never heard of anybody seeking advise on buying something of low quality. All I saw in the original post was a question asking for info about a particular breeder of the breed bull he might possible be willing to buy/replace next spring. Trucking would probably be about $3-400. I know folks who have bought from Debrucker and had them hauled in to the Carolinas for that. They all were happy with their bulls, the price, and the quality of their calves. Then again, none of them had any keyboard cowboys evaluate their mama cows without even seeing them either. Maybe I will tell them to ask here before they purchase again.Big Cheese, if you want to buy the best and can afford it, and it makes you happy, go for it. It may not be popular on the internet, but it might be something that pencils out on your operation. Only you know that. If you want references on DeBryucker, use that contact I sent you, or I can give you some others.

I've posted this one before, Paid 1300 for him in 2012.

http://s21.postimg.org/f1ka495qf/20150612_160004.jpg

I've got a handful of others similar to him, but purebreds for under 2k also. I currently have 4 bulls totalling 6200. I'll stick to my game plan.

edit: And epds on another current bull incase someone wants to look them over.

http://s11.postimg.org/e2sjeg2tv/epds.png

Now I realize not everyone is gonna score deals like these. But they are out there.

cotton1":1mn4nvuw said:
none of them had any keyboard cowboys evaluate their mama cows without even seeing them either.
You're making assumptions, which are incorrect. All anyone is doing is trying to help, no one is being rude. Until now that is.

M.Magis":2dk2fj9s said:
cotton1":2dk2fj9s said:
none of them had any keyboard cowboys evaluate their mama cows without even seeing them either.
You're making assumptions, which are incorrect. All anyone is doing is trying to help, no one is being rude. Until now that is.
No one is being rude? I see few posters being so rude already, especially the buying bull for longhorns part.

Big Cheese is only asking for your opinions on Debruycker Charolais bulls. Obviously Charolais is better choice for the longhorns than any breeds and he wants to find better Charolais bulls to improving in the calves.

For the record, I've seen Big Cheese's Char x longhorn calves, and they looks good.

Muddy":32e67owo said:
M.Magis":32e67owo said:
cotton1":32e67owo said:
No one is being rude? I see few posters being so rude already, especially the buying bull for longhorns part.

Big Cheese is only asking for your opinions on Debruycker Charolais bulls. Obviously Charolais is better choice for the longhorns than any breeds and he wants to find better Charolais bulls to improving in the calves.

For the record, I've seen Big Cheese's Char x longhorn calves, and they looks good.
Everyone seems to be a lot less rude than I've seen you be in the past in regard to someone's choice of bulls. All I see is a few trying to help him save some money. I thought Supa Dexta said it well, at some point the cows hold the bull back, so to speak. I wouldn't put a high dollar bull on my cows either. It's foolish to ignore the fact that longhorn cross calves get docked badly unless sold very young. A good quality char bull, which it sounds like he already has, is likely to produce the most bang for his buck.

If someone thinks I'm in the rude camp, tell me and dispute my math. Jump to a 5k bull @ 30 calves a year and hope to use him for 5 yrs (which many never see) thats 150 calves over 5yrs, or $33 per calf 'stud fee'. 8k bull is $53. Plus bull up keep.

Get more weaning weight and the pounds pay for the increase in bull power no doubt (an extra $2k needs only +13 lbs per calf vs the 3k bull). But put a high growth bull on cows that can't support it in their calves and its wasted, cows run themselves down, calves don't grow like they should, and cows may not breed back. All things to keep in mind when chasing big number/ no matter the dollar bulls.

I agree with M. Magis. My earlier post has been quoted several times, but I didn't mean to be disparaging of the Longhorn cows. I only meant that I don't think you can justify spending that kind of money for the results you're going to get. Now if you say "I'm going to go get one of those bulls and ship him home because that's what I want to do" that's your business, and I won't criticize the decision.  I just don't think you can pencil whip it enough to make the numbers work.

I might misinterpreted on what you meant about buying a Charolais bull out of state to just putting him on longhorn cows. But if he has angus cows or Hereford cows instead of longhorns, would you give him same advice?

Muddy":3ayrk900 said:
I might misinterpreted on what you meant about buying a Charolais bull out of state to just putting him on longhorn cows. But if he has angus cows or Hereford cows instead of longhorns, would you give him same advice?

Probably so. When you figure the cost of the bull and what it would cost to get him shipped I don't think he'll make that back when you're using him to produce crossbred calves.

fnfarms1":ks9xbr4i said:
M.Magis":ks9xbr4i said:
fnfarms1":ks9xbr4i said:
I think that quality comes down to preference in some cases.
The only preference that should matter in this case is that of the buyers. There comes a point where you're spending dollars to make quarters. I don't know where that point is, but I suspect trucking high dollar bulls thousands of miles to put on average longhorns might be getting close. Nothing against the cows, it's just a matter of making the best financial choice.

My dad always told me "raise what you like, if that's Belgium blues, watusi, or a rare breed of pigs. If you raise what you like, you will want to do the extra work to make it happen." I'm saying if a Longhorn cross is their preference, make the best one you can. As for price of bulls, I don't buy brand new vehicles due to cost. doesn't mean those that do are wrong, just depends how you choose to spend your$. Same with bulls, in my opinion. I think his question was on bull quality, he realizes they come with a heavier price tag.

BC":ks9xbr4i said:
Rafter S":ks9xbr4i said:

Good point. Not sure how that'd work
. Outside of different forage types The chars should handle the heat ok....

Ive already had the arguments about Longhorns with people on here that's not why I posted this thread. I know some people like Longhorns and some don't....I like them and that's what I run on my farm. My questions as about the Charolais bulls from Debruycker but I think I want to chage my initial question.

What Charolais herd sire do you guys prefer? We have one bull who is a son of Mr President which makes him a grandson of Cigar and we also have a grandson of Wyoming Wind. Our third bull isn't registered so I don't know his lineage. What sire do y'all prefer? I saw a picture of Illusion on the Debruycker website and I really like the way he looked.

Grid Maker genetics are excellent and proven. My favorite Grid Maker sons are not mainstream but make very nice calves. They are Faraway Chico and TTR-OHF Beyond the Grid. JDJ Smokester is a thick bull that gives eye appeal and milk, he is a Cigar son. LT Ledger is the hottest bull going now in the reg. Sector. He is a Bluegrass son out of a Rio Bravo cow.Lt ranch is where Wyoming Wind came from. Another good bull that's proven is M6 Full Throttle. Semen is available for these bulls. If you were to buy a son/ grandson these are lines to consider in the pedigrees

I don't understand some of the guys complaining about the Longhorn/Charolais cross??? These are the best calves that I have ever raised and have owned nearly all breeds of cattle. I agree that you don't have to go to Montana to get a good bull, but if that's what you want, go for it. But you are on to something with this cross, keep it up!!

Wow RedBull34 those are some really good calves!! I love the Charolais/Longhorn cross calves. Ours are doing really well and growing great. Some of the calves will amaze you when you see them standing beside their momma lol.

They look clean and consistent, but from a purely beef standpoint they don't stack up. Look down this page at threads from creekdrive, dubcharo, lithuanianfarmer, gizmom... etc (all in different areas of the world and all running different breeds) Their calves are just more solid looking, and packing on pounds. The longhorn sticks out, in finer bones, and leaner bodies. Now I'm not denying the char 'brings out the best in them' and that longhorn may work well for some folks I'll give the credit where due, but to me they look like calves that didn't get enough milk (or feed) if they were grown locally - but i'll see them differently than others as there are no longhorns around here, so that look stands out to me. Calves like that around here are generally found on run down pastures, have a mother with a problem, or were a milk stealing orphan. Just something that caused them not to fill out properly. In this case its the long horn apparently.

And again, I'm trying to put that as nicely as possible, purely for discussions sake.

Latest posts