Big Navel

Help Support CattleToday:

JHank

Reaction score
Hello to all!!

I have a yearling heifer with a bigger navel. Was wondering of any ways I can somewhat hide it when I show her this summer?

Can I use adhesive somehow to push it up?

Any ideas or advice is much appreciated.

Thank you

What breed is she ? I would think it would be acceptable in some breeds . Might let the hair be a little longer on her belly and groom it to cover the navel . You risk making her look short by doing this . Haven't showed in years and don't know what judges want these days . Use to want a lot of daylight under them . 😳
With the clubby calves this may have changed?

She is a Purebred Charolais heifer. Thought maybe would pull hair down around it if she has much to do that with this summer.

If you can hide it with hair, that would be the way to go. Deep middles are definitely "in", so no one will think anything about you leaving all the hair you can in that area. Even if it doesn't completely cover it every little bit helps. Do try to blend what hair you have away from it, so it doesn't look like you just didn't bother to clip on her belly at all.

If you can hide it with hair, that would be the way to go. Deep middles are definitely "in", so no one will think anything about you leaving all the hair you can in that area. Even if it doesn't completely cover it every little bit helps. Do try to blend what hair you have away from it, so it doesn't look like you just didn't bother to clip on her belly at all.
Hopefully she will have enough hair to pull down around it and blend it in. They are July and August shows. She has great hair but yearling heifers and summer you just never know how much they might keep

Not a show person but can't you mist them at night and run a fan on them to encourage hair growth ?

Misting and rinsing does help but wondering what best way is with the hair to try and help hide it

If you can grow enough hair on the heifer's belly to be longer than the navel hangs down that is the start. Then comb the hair down, may need to add a little hair adhesive and pull it down, then clip to shape even with the bottom of the navel. If you don't have the hair, then there isn't much you can do from a fitting perspective.

Put some local anaesthetic in it then a couple of safety pins through it then an elastrator band over the top of the pins.

Ken
Sounds like you've done that before! Safety pins! So, you use the safety pins to keep the rubber band from slipping off? How long would that take? Of course, I'm asking for someone else - it is unethical to use cosmetic surgery.

Sounds like you've done that before! Safety pins! So, you use the safety pins to keep the rubber band from slipping off? How long would that take? Of course, I'm asking for someone else - it is unethical to use cosmetic surgery.
I did it on a 12 mth old bull calf about 10 years ago and used thin stainless pins and a jumbo band but can't remember the time frame other than was similar to castration.

Ken

Latest posts