Debruycker Charolais Bulls

Help Support CattleToday:

Big Cheese

Reaction score
As most of you know....we run Longhorn cows with Charolais bulls. We have three really good Charolais bulls as of now but we will probably be needing another one around March or April since we are going to be expanding our herd. We are wanting to add another Charolais bull and an older guy in our town mentioned Debruycher Charolais in Montana. I was just wondering if anybody had an dealing with them or even had any of their bulls and how they are. I really like the way they look and their genetics.

Can I ask why longhorns? Just a preference? Curiosity is all, mean no disrespect. As for opinions, I can't say I have one. I run a charolais that's a son of Who's Cryin' Now. But he wasn't a high dollar bull, wanted him since Who's Cryin' Now is a top heifer maker. Have you looked into McMillan charolais from Iowa? I hear their impressive

We are wanting to get the heifers out of them for cows. The half Longhorn half Charolais they make unbelievable momma cows plus the Longhorns we have raise just as big a calf as our beef cows do and we got in them cheap. Plus no problems out of them no sickness or anything and eat less and calving ease. Just an all around good breed for a momma cow in my opinion some people don't agree with me. We have local sellers in our state that we got our bulls we have now from and they are by far the best bulls we have ever had and are great bulls we have no problem buying locally I was just wanting some info on these guys just to think about the option of using them

Debruycker is the largest Charolais breeder in the nation, and they got there by doing it right. I think they will ship bulls if you don't want to travel to Montana.
CSM

DeBruycker is a large family owned producer. They register with several different prefixes depending on which member of the familys herd the bull comes out of. They are the largest in the U.S. and maybe in the world. That sale you are talking about in April will have like 600 head in it. They are large enough that several of their blood lines are available to AI with. It is possible that the local folks you have been buying from are using some of their genetics through AI. The DeBruckyer lines are known for muscle/beef which is probably good with your Long Horns. There is a lot of horned genetics at DeBruckyers I think, but it sounds like that isnt a problem for you. Some of their more popular bulls have been: LHD Mr Perfect Y416, LHD Cigar E46, JDJ Smokester J1377, CJC Trademark H45, and others are Ali Mark, Illusion, President, Reality are some of many lines. Those should have lots of calves registered thru AICA that you can look up at CharolaisUSA.Com. I know some folks who bought bulls from them and they got them trucked out here to the east coast with no problem. Those producers have been well pleased with their bulls. They sell a lot of head but are not cheap. I picked a couple out last April but couldnt get one bought. Seems like they average around 5K. I bid more than that on some and missed, some of them get a little expensive but not too bad. High seller last year was 50K I think.

The way I read it is the Debruycker's sell 950 bulls a year off 2,300 mom cows. To me that means that they don't cull many bull calves.

I like their genetics. We have a son to Mr President already and he is a really good bull. Being known as the largest and best Charolais farmers it really intrigues me to look into them.

I don't mean for this to sound harsh, so please don't take it that way, but I can't see traveling from Arkansas to Montana to buy a bull to use on Longhorns.

Rafter S":2ozef0vg said:
I don't mean for this to sound harsh, so please don't take it that way, but I can't see traveling from Arkansas to Montana to buy a bull to use on Longhorns.
Lot of folks traveling to another state to just buying a good bull, nothing's wrong with that. That said I won't touch many local bred bulls that should been cut at birth.

Rafter S":mehdtosa said:

Shouldn't you have the best bull you can get? Regardless of what type of cow you have. We run Longhorn cows with Charolais bulls. I want the best bull possible to breed to them and I have heard Debruycker has the best that why I was asking.

Why not just drive to St Joe Arkansas and buy another bull from Greg Hudspeth. Hell of a lot closer than Montana. Most likely find some of the same bloodlines.

Red Bull Breeder":1t3q5yiv said:
Why not just drive to St Joe Arkansas and buy another bull from Greg Hudspeth. be nice of a lot closer than Montana. Most likely find some of the same bloodlines.

The bull we got from him is probably our best bull right now. He is a grandson of Wyoming Wind. We've have a few places to get some really good bulls here in Arkansas no doubt and I would not be against buying a bull from Mr Hudspeth again or from the other two buyers we have bought from. All three of our bulls are great bulls. I was just wanting some information of these guys just to see what people thinking. Just weighing my options on the matter.

Big Cheese":109kt7h9 said:
Rafter S":109kt7h9 said:

Shouldn't you have the best bull you can get? Regardless of what type of cow you have. We run Longhorn cows with Charolais bulls. I want the best bull possible to breed to them and I have heard Debruycker has the best that why I was asking.

I agree with best bull you can afford. For me that's generally a $3000 type bull. Not going to win alot of shows but best I can afford and better than all of the neighbors $1500 bulls and other neighbors $5000 bulls

That's what we paid for our 3 bulls....$3000. I feel like that's a really good price for really good Bulls. I know Debruycker will be higher but they are suppose to be better Bulls

There will come a point where the cows aren't holding up their end of the bargain in the equation (too good a bull to put on not so good cows). I wouldn't be worried about paying more and looking further for a bull just for that sake, when good bulls can be found in most anyones locale.

How many years/ calves did you get out of your current bulls? 3K each you paid for them? Now figure out how many calves you sold during that time and what premium (if any) did they bring you over what you would have gotten if you used a lesser bull.

The best money made on bulls doesn't usually come on the premium on the calf, its comes on buying it right and getting as many calves and trouble free years out of him. If you paid 3k for one and only have something like 20 calves out of him so far, without any input costs he's already at 150 bux per calf, Get 200 calves sold out of him and you're down to lower end semen costs of $15. But bulls eat a lot, so its not even that cut and dry on pay back. And hopefully nothing drastic happens and there is atleast some kill value left in him at the end.

I'm over stocked on bulls myself, but I seek them out in bargains.

Supa Dexta said:
There will come a point where the cows aren't holding up their end of the bargain in the equation (too good a bull to put on not so good cows). I wouldn't be worried about paying more and looking further for a bull just for that sake, when good bulls can be found in most anyones locale.

How many years/ calves did you get out of your current bulls? 3K each you paid for them? Now figure out how many calves you sold during that time and what premium (if any) did they bring you over what you would have gotten if you used a lesser bull.

The best money made on bulls doesn't usually come on the premium on the calf, its comes on buying it right and getting as many calves and trouble free years out of him. If you paid 3k for one and only have something like 20 calves out of him so far, without any input costs he's already at 150 bux per calf, Get 200 calves sold out of him and you're down to lower end semen costs of $15. But bulls eat a lot, so its not even that cut and dry on pay back. And hopefully nothing drastic happens and there is atleast some kill value left in him at the end.

I understand that the longhorn cows may not throw calves to some quality standards, but same goes for brahma influence for some people. I think that quality comes down to preference in some cases. He said they like the Longhorn cross(i have to say I have a few myself, raise some of my best calves). So using the best possible bulls should give the best possible outcome, even if its not Everyone's cup o tea. I don't think he's expecting some kind of super charolais, they like the hybrid vigor and resistance.

fnfarms1":3l0g0l8w said:
I think that quality comes down to preference in some cases.
The only preference that should matter in this case is that of the buyers. There comes a point where you're spending dollars to make quarters. I don't know where that point is, but I suspect trucking high dollar bulls thousands of miles to put on average longhorns might be getting close. Nothing against the cows, it's just a matter of making the best financial choice.

Latest posts