Debruycker Charolais Bulls

Help Support CattleToday:

Supa Dexta":19fo4jyr said:
They look clean and consistent, but from a purely beef standpoint they don't stack up. Look down this page at threads from creekdrive, dubcharo, lithuanianfarmer, gizmom... etc (all in different areas of the world and all running different breeds) Their calves are just more solid looking, and packing on pounds. The longhorn sticks out, in finer bones, and leaner bodies. Now I'm not denying the char 'brings out the best in them' and that longhorn may work well for some folks I'll give the credit where due, but to me they look like calves that didn't get enough milk (or feed) if they were grown locally - but i'll see them differently than others as there are no longhorns around here, so that look stands out to me. Calves like that around here are generally found on run down pastures, have a mother with a problem, or were a milk stealing orphan. Just something that caused them not to fill out properly. In this case its the long horn apparently.

And again, I'm trying to put that as nicely as possible, purely for discussions sake.
I've seen lot of worse looking Angus calves than Redbull34's calves.

Lithuanianfarmer is using heavy muscled or double muscled breeds. Gizmom and Dubcharo raises EXCELLENT and HIGHEST quality seedstock cattle, not average cattle. Creekdrive do have nice cattle, but he's an exception.

The calves in pic, surely didn't show any longhorn traits and they're beefy as an Angus calf. I didn't see any fine boned or lean body in the calves....

RB34's calves would be movie stars compared to the average calf that I see come through a sales ring.

They look clean and consistent, but from a purely beef standpoint they don't stack up. Look down this page at threads from creekdrive, dubcharo, lithuanianfarmer, gizmom... etc (all in different areas of the world and all running different breeds) Their calves are just more solid looking, and packing on pounds. The longhorn sticks out, in finer bones, and leaner bodies. Now I'm not denying the char 'brings out the best in them' and that longhorn may work well for some folks I'll give the credit where due, but to me they look like calves that didn't get enough milk (or feed) if they were grown locally - but i'll see them differently than others as there are no longhorns around here, so that look stands out to me. Calves like that around here are generally found on run down pastures, have a mother with a problem, or were a milk stealing orphan. Just something that caused them not to fill out properly. In this case its the long horn apparently.

And again, I'm trying to put that as nicely as possible, purely for discussions sake.

I have to respectfully disagree. There were 35 of those calves and the steers averaged 665 lbs and the heifers 585 lbs. The calf on the left weighed in at 765lbs (one of the heaviest I've ever raised, and that's his black/white mother in the background) To each his own, but I really think it is an economical cross.

Bigfoot":2imac18x said:
RB34's calves would be movie stars compared to the average calf that I see come through a sales ring.
I agree with you. These calves will sell very good at most sale barns here as CharX feeders.

As for the horns, I sold two steers with nubs few weeks ago and I received no dock. Some days they didn't sort off the horned ones from the group.

We usually dehorn them early but on these we didn't and couldn't tell any difference.

REDBULL34":12qw5789 said:

I have to respectfully disagree. There were 35 of those calves and the steers averaged 665 lbs and the heifers 585 lbs. The calf on the left weighed in at 765lbs (one of the heaviest I've ever raised, and that's his black/white mother in the background) To each his own, but I really think it is an economical cross.

I disagree as well Supa Dexta. I don't see any of that you mentioned especially the looking like an orphan part. I have seen a few of our Charolais Longhorn cross calves have those traits though but they are usually out of our older cows that are getting close to culling age. But you could see things that I don't I'm not knocking you at all.

Those are some impressive weight RB34. What Is the lineage of the bull you are using?

Longhorns are like any other kind of cattle, some are a lot better than others. I've seen a few come through the sale ring that I wouldn't have been ashamed to have as momma cows. I've seen a lot that I wouldn't have dreamed of buying. I think you could get a good group if you took your time and were picky.
Around here that "look" including the little horns would get docked pretty good. Anything that isn't black and polled gets docked.

No need to agree with me, just thoughts on my end. If I were always right I'd be in something more profitable than cattle. The black nose calf looks good.

Good looking calves for longhorns. But they still have that longhorn look and color. And the bottom line is those calves won't top the sale or even come close.

by ram » Wed Dec 02, 2015 7:31 am
Good looking calves for longhorns. But they still have that longhorn look and color. And the bottom line is those calves won't top the sale or even come close.

I am not saying the are "sale toppers" but what I will tell you is that they doubled what their mothers cost. Show me any other cross that will do that. I just believe they were as good as they could possibly be, given their breeding.

I'd be proud to have a pasture full of them calves. I wasn't knocking them, and yes they are really nice calves for what they are.

ram":3vke2ybs said:
I don't know about that but from my observation at the sale barns, most Char x Longhorn calves sell very good where many Longhorn x Angus calves get docked so hard. You'll getting extra $$$ from Char x LH calves, something that most LH crosses cannot do that.

Muddy, those calves won't bring what black polled calves of the same quality will bring. Horns and hide color will cost you $money. Using a Charolais bull over Angus cows will produce a calf that will out sell everything, at least around here.

ram":1if9eprv said:
Muddy, those calves won't bring what black polled calves of the same quality will bring. Horns and hide color will cost you $money. Using a Charolais bull over Angus cows will produce a calf that will out sell everything, at least around here.
Ram, I'm just saying from my observation at the sale barns and I compared the prices of Char x LH to the prices of blacks in same weight and I see no difference.

Heifers off of that cross, bred black sim (or similar), would make a nice calf.

Bigfoot":gp5xskf7 said:

That's what we are wanting. We are wanting the Charolais Longhorn cross heifers to keep as cows. We are breeding back to Charolais though. We are getting away from black except for the black cows we already have.

Big Cheese":91o4lkh4 said:
Bigfoot":91o4lkh4 said:

That's what we are wanting. We are wanting the Charolais Longhorn cross heifers to keep as cows. We are breeding back to Charolais though. We are getting away from black except for the black cows we already have.

Shrewd move getting away from black hide. In 10 or 20 years after the market catches up with you is when that'll really pay off. :D

Well Big Cheese, I was hoping you would get some useful info. It seems folks would rather bash your program than offer useful info. Im sorry thats how it goes. Many feel if they can talk down about others, that they will feel lifted up. You mentioned buying from Hudspeths before. Greg and Rick and anybody else that contributes to that sale uses a lot of Debruycker genetics. I had another heifer born this morning sired by Smokester. There are some folks that will help you out, but not really on here. It dont seem like many folks on here really know much about the Charolais genetics. The bottom line is that the Debruycker program is centered on beef production, which would be good with the longhorn cross. You just might need some help finding the right Debruycker blood line to work best. I would suggest calling the contact I gave you, or calling the Debruyckers themselves. I think it is a worthwhile investment. Outside of that , I dont think you will find any real world info on here. Or so it seems.Best wishes..

Latest posts