"Dave" my new Australian Shepherd pup

Help Support CattleToday:

Congrats on the new pup. I like him. They are great dogs. I just lost one of my old farm dogs, and was thinking about getting an Aussie a few months down the road. We had one several years back and he was an awesome companion and helper.

Great looking pup! Sorry again about your last one. I have often thought about Australian shepard, might have to get one one day.

Nice pup! I'm sure this will open a debate but I am presently trying to decide between Australian shepherd and Heeler, what caused you to choose the shepherd?

Drzr, for me it was mostly availability and location why I got the Shepherd. Actually called about a Heeler first but it had already been sold. Would have taken another Border but couldn't locate any in my driving area. I'm impressed with my Shepherd though he has some fire and spunk for such a little thing. He really bluffs down my heifers. So I haven't got a real good answer for you.

FlyingLSimmentals":2n1r3b5x said:
Drzr, for me it was mostly availability and location why I got the Shepherd. Actually called about a Heeler first but it had already been sold. Would have taken another Border but couldn't locate any in my driving area. I'm impressed with my Shepherd though he has some fire and spunk for such a little thing. He really bluffs down my heifers. So I haven't got a real good answer for you.
Thank you! Just wondering.

I'm currently looking for a cattle dog as well. Having a terrible time finding one. I've had Australian shepards, and blue heelers over the years. Can't decide which I want now, but might take either. Just about anybody you call is taking deposits on future litters. I'm not opposed to that, I just can't belive its that hard to find a dog.

I have had Aussie or Aussie crosses for yrs
My young dog is 12 i have raised him and His daddy
His daddy was a great dog with Alot of grit this one is more mild took after his mother
They are a loysl dog and very protective of their property

I just got rid of a 6 month old red heeler he was gonna make a good dog but gave him away when we decided to move to Fl as town life wouldnt be fair to him
On heelers I lije the reds better than the blues just my preference

Thought I would update. Dave is doing great full of energy, grit, and very smart. One thing about him is that I've never seen a dog drink as much water as he does or jump as high as he can. Will bite or chew on anything he can get a hold of. Doesn't back down to the bulls or cows but doesn't chase them. He aggravates them and Boone (my old border collie) to the point they get fed up with him some and fight back or try and hide from him. Have got him playing ball and catching a Frisbee for other activities. Have spoiled him, he wants to ride in the cab instead of the bed in the truck but he ends up happy in either place. I have been looking for and watching deer before deer season from the truck with him. Now he has gone deer nuts and will actually go hunting for them and see how far he can chase them. I'm hoping to break him from some of that. Anyway he is in to something all the time but for the most part I Love it!

Yeah I need to take more pics of him. Haven't taken many since I got him. He is so active and I'm usually his play partner. Would really like to get him in a pic catching the Frisbee. Maybe I can get someone to help me and I can get a good active shot of him. If not I'll try and catch him asleep or when he is messing with the cattle or Boone and not playing with me. I'll get at least one posted when I can.

Dave, I was reading CT here on the forum with the pup wondering what I was gonna call him and boom there was a post from you on the screen. I thought perfect a short simple plain name one he could pick up on easily. So thanks so much for posting, he loves the name. Well actually his name is Davey and we just call him Dave. Named him after my Border Collie "Crocket" that he replaced whom was named after David Crocket.

FlyingLSimmentals":3uxts2sf said:
Dave, I was reading CT here on the forum with the pup wondering what I was gonna call him and boom there was a post from you on the screen. I thought perfect a short simple plain name one he could pick up on easily. So thanks so much for posting, he loves the name. Well actually his name is Davey and we just call him Dave. Named him after my Border Collie "Crocket" that he replaced whom was named after David Crocket.

Well in my younger days I had a grandma and a couple aunts who called me Davey Crocket, so close enough for me. I had a great Aussie for a number of years that was named Porky. At the time that I got him I had chocolate lab / Chesapeake cross whose name was Beanie. So with the two of them it was Pork and Beans. If Dave turns out to be half the dog Porky was you will have a great dog.

Got out and threw some Frisbee to Dave this evening. He just loves it. It's awesome to watch him make some those acrobatic catches. I should learn how to take video to post on you tube or something. Hope everyone is having a awesome summer day. Dave and I are getting some fluids and resting up, we played a bit too long. Think he would play until he croaks.

Latest posts