Cutting Hay

Help Support CattleToday:

it rained all summer, so unlike the folks that gone none... we grew some real grass here.and weeds.. and it just now finally gave us three weeks of dry weather to finally cut... as others, it's past prime, but there is alot of it,, and I actually have the barns full, and I do mean full! And yet almost 200 more rolls on pallets waiting for sheathing. Enuff hay here for at least two years of average feeding. Still have lots from last year still in the barn.

God has blessed us with alot of grass, and great corn this year too! :D :cboy: Will be looking for more trenches for silage.

I willl be cutting tomorrow. This will be my second cutting. The field wasn't doing very well, it had "rust" some sort of fungus I guess. Local Ag. guy told me what to spray it with and it has greened up pretty good. Just not a lot there. First cutting got dumped on, big old thunder storm. My wife thought it was the second coming.

My third and final cutting is still growing and could use a shower. I will need to cut over everything in about 3 weeks even if I don't get a shower on it.

We just got our second cutting. We normally get three but the early cutting didn't happen this year (weather, among other things). All yields were average or below (lack of rain when we needed it). We have mostly rounds baled, bermuda/bahia on the sandhills and johnson grass/coastal in the creek bottom.

Latest posts