Cutting Hay

Help Support CattleToday:

kaneranch

Reaction score
Is every one done cutting hay? We cut our final batch last week.
We got alot more than we thought we would. How did every one turn out. THanks Kaneranch

if it would rain here quick.we could get another cutting.would need a 5in rain an 3wks of good weather to cut again.cut 310 rolls tho.in one cutting.scott

We will be doing 4th cutting here in a week or so. Hopefully it will go as planned. 1st and 3rd cuttings were rained on and is cow/grinding quality only, 2nd was rained on once but is ok.

We've got a last cutting of alfalfa left, some cow/grass hay left, and some new - kobe/orchardgrass horse hay left to go. This rain kinda put us behind, and we're busy cutting tobacco now...

HatCreekFan":17ge0fmg said:
We've got a last cutting of alfalfa left, some cow/grass hay left, and some new - kobe/orchardgrass horse hay left to go. This rain kinda put us behind, and we're busy cutting tobacco now...
We'll do our last cutting shortly. We were bone dry, but Katrina brought us almost 9in. of rain. It wont be as productive as the first cutting.

We've been so wet here that we only did our second cutting this week. It was far past prime, but we did get 7.5 rolls per acre, which isn't bad at all. I'll be interested in the forage testing of it. Doubt we will see any more cutting?

Billy

In sw missouri, our first cutting yielded from 1/3 to 1/2 of normal and the only second cutting was some sparse Johnson grass in the creek bottoms. It is bone dry here and nothing is growing.

We got some rain a week or two ago. Just finished cutting 25 acres of the prettiest crabgrass/pigweed/ragweed hay you've ever seen.

dun

I'd just be happy to get some rain. Forget about the cutting cause that isn't going to happen i guess.

Dick

The field was Cheyenne Bermuda - its second year - mixed with a lot of crabgrass and Johnson grass - not the mix I had hoped for but what we got anyway. The hay test should be quite interesting, if not sad?

Billy

We cut our third cuttin here a couple weeks ago. Need rain bad if we are to get a 4th cutting. 1st cuttin and 3rd cuttin were up to par, roughly 6 bales per acre. But second cuttin was horrible only got 1.5 bales per acre because of no rain at all between cuttins.

We finished 3rd crop two weeks ago....ours also, 1st and 3rd were normal....2nd crop sucked. Almost no rain between 1st and 2nd cutting.

Here in north Texas, still hoping for a third cutting. Hasn't rained here since around July 4th. Has been raining to the west and east of us but not here..
First and second cuttings were about 35% smaller that normal.

We've only made 1 cutting so far on our field, we will be lucky to get a 2nd. We've cut others fields 2 times now and haven't made enough hay to make it worth the diesel to drive over it. It's too dry here- he did't get any rain from Katrina, and haven't had rain for months. We're feeding up junk hay and the cows are devouring it right now. Hopefully we'll have enough left from last year to make the winter.

dun":1igzoqms said:
We got some rain a week or two ago. Just finished cutting 25 acres of the prettiest crabgrass/pigweed/ragweed hay you've ever seen.

dun

:( I hate it when that happens!

just finished 1600 big rounds alot better than last year ended up buying 4 semi loads-next project chopping corn-anyone want to help? ;-)

What are these things you speak of? Rain...Hay...?

dun":1q3zjvvo said:

dun

My mentor (87) down the road says it all makes good hay if you put it up right. :lol:

dj":3mss610e said:
What are these things you speak of? Rain...Hay...?

dun":3mss610e said:

dun

My mentor (87) down the road says it all makes good hay if you put it up right. :lol:

If it wasn;t for the pigweed that's exactly what I would do. Since pigweed is toxic (nitrates) and about 1/4 of the field is mostly pigweed I sure wouldn;t feed it to anything that I hoped would live.

dun

ND":1yidu2o0 said:
just finished 1600 big rounds alot better than last year ended up buying 4 semi loads-next project chopping corn-anyone want to help? ;-)

Well, depending on where you live, whether you are willing to teach me how, and if I can work it into my school schedule, sure! I'm not afraid of work and it would be one more thing I knew how to do!

Latest posts