Cull?

Help Support CattleToday:

TheBullLady":2mtjeb30 said:
I would also cull "granny" for the reasons stated! I hate big teats.. being a Brahman breeder it is one we face all the time.
thats for sure.. but usually long before twenty years rolls around. thats one problem with heavy milkers .that daughter will do the same after few more year's in production. they would make great terminal calf momas but i would'nt keep replacements.

Wewild":3fdq1d7j said:
Granny is getting up in years. I bet she's nearing 20. That ain't her calf by her side.

swiss8x5.jpg

For twenty she looks darn good.You guys give birth to 18 children and breast feed each one;take a pic and let everyone critic.I think I would keep replacements out of her a lot of terminal breeders look for longevity and she definately has it.If she has no problem rearing a calf I would only cull if prices are really good if not she has already paid for herself and made you money hang on to her until she actually might cost you some.

Thanks for all the replys.

To many posts to answer all so I'll try to summarize.

We have gone through a peroid of time when our records were poor or none existant due to the onset of my father's illness. He let the tags go years ago and I was purty much free labor and didn't really notice the dip in proper management practices. Things are changing for the better over the last 4 or 5 years except I'm no longer free as I have to work around his disease and carry alot of the cost to improve. It is fortunate that I can do this for him and even more fortunate that he can accept the change.

Number 1 could be and most possibly is the product of granny. The marking on the bag between the flank and the shank is too similar and we will see how she holds up. I'm not sure of her age but it's not her first rodeo. If she winds up like Granny well then good for her.

Granny is a early product of the breeding up process to add milk to the Lim breed. She would have brown swiss in her.

As others have said we need to watch Granny close. We have a couple of more that through our management have wound up on the wrong side of this truth. We will work it out. I do believe granny is on the short list.

We also only feed grass and hay so they have to make it on their own.

Ya'll are a big help with a wealth of info.

Take care and Thanks.

Wewild":15qhb739 said:
Granny is getting up in years. I bet she's nearing 20. That ain't her calf by her side.

swiss8x5.jpg
If Granny is approaching 20 years old, I would cull her on the age basis and also on the udder/teat potential problem. She will bring a fair amount at this time, and you need to replace her and 20% of your herd now. She would be one of the 20%. Don't wait until Vet bills and other expenses minimize the profit you will derive from selling her - problem free. She doesn't owe you a dime - now!

DOC HARRIS

Oldtimer":2usc0y5u said:
Remember to think of that cull check as a part of your income- and plan accordingly... I mean cull before they start losing too much condition that they are not worth anything...
That cow right now is probably worth $600-750 as hamburger- maybe more at the latest prices, but at the age she is could quickly deteriorate to be worth very little......

If you retain 10-20% of your heifers yearly and cull the same yearly-- unless you have some major problems with your herd that takes precedent in your culling, they should usually not get that old...And your herd should be improving from the new genetics your adding....

I would disagree that we need to cull cattle due to age. If they are still productive and sound why not keep them as long as possible. For every year you get to keep a cow there is one less to be replaced. If we actually see how old a cow can get while they are producing the replacement heifers should be kept from those females. Cow #2 should have been shipped years ago according to her teat size, that's not acceptable at all. I would doubt that it just developed the teat problem in the last couple years.

Sounds like I'm in the minority here...but unless granny is a problem why cull her? I agree that her teats look suspect, but if her calves are able to handle them and she's raising a respectable calf I see no reason to cull her-even if she is close to 20-we should all hope to have cows that look that good at 20 years old!

mgman":peb6mi7c said:
I agree that her teats look suspect, but if her calves are able to handle them

The problem with big teats is that you won't know for certain what they'll look like this next year. Her current calf may be handling them, but will her next calf? Maybe her teats won't get any bigger, but I doubt it. Once they start to go, it sometimes doesn't take long.

Rod

SEC":i6zsguqe said:
I would disagree that we need to cull cattle due to age. If they are still productive and sound why not keep them as long as possible. For every year you get to keep a cow there is one less to be replaced. If we actually see how old a cow can get while they are producing the replacement heifers should be kept from those females.

I couldn;t agree more! Until her calves don;t pass muster at weaning time, she breeds back on time and just goes about doing her job, I would keep her employed here as long as possible. Ol Granny (our Granny, not the one in the post) is 17. One year she raised a lousey calf. Lousey for her anyway. It wasn;t in the top 2-3 calves for that year. The nexct year bred to another bull her calf was the second best weaning calf. Until her calves are the bottom or she starts giving us any real problems, the old girl will be around. At her age the salvage value is pretty low so if we have to wack her we'll just grind her and donate the meat to charity.
But I'm a softy for older critters that can still do their job.
dun

I wouldn't cull her. We just bought Longhorn cows and one of the cows is a granny (15). The breeder didn't even want to sell her to us because of her age, but she's a beautiful cow and is still producing. She has established herself as the leader of the herd and she's a pleasure to have around the farm. JMO.

if i were to use them for future replacements based on their long productive life i would breed them to a low milk epd bull with a good balanced scrotum to try and off set the udder and teat trouble. a few years of a nursing calf tuggin and pullin a teat. will take it's toll on a it. thats why it scare's me too see a first calver with a teat any bigger than my finger. and how much bigger it will be the next season

While longevity is important, udder structure like that isn't to be tolerated. I guess I would have culled her long before this for her udder.

Oldtimer":2cmkei9k said:
Remember to think of that cull check as a part of your income- and plan accordingly... I mean cull before they start losing too much condition that they are not worth anything...
That cow right now is probably worth $600-750 as hamburger- maybe more at the latest prices, but at the age she is could quickly deteriorate to be worth very little......

Why would I want to cull her if she is still producing and raising a good calf? I certainly understand not keeping any heifer calves out of her, but I've seen cows with worse tits raise a good calf and not need any help to get the calf going, either. At 20 years old, Granny has already paid back her purchase price - if any - and then some. She sure looks like she can raise at least one more calf, so why would I want to settle for cull prices when I could get a better than cull price for her calf? When the day comes that she can't raise a calf, whatever she brings is simply icing on the cake. What am I misunderstanding?

Latest posts