KEEP OR CULL HEREFORD BULLS

Help Support CattleToday:

sorry i loaded pictures without putting any text. i only have afew ped herefords and i keep the bull intact to give them a chance and if they dont make the grade they go as bull beef. I have more or less made my mind up with these 2 but thought i would ask others opinions. first bull is 22mo and second bull is 20mo. sires are different

I'd put one of them on my cows.. I am no expert, and I am sure others may see issues (they always do it seems), but I like them..

Are they registered?

sporder":11z0v5ad said:
yes they are both registered. i tend to register most calves at birth as its cheaper.
Why don't you list your location?

So you'd sell those at slaughter bull prices?

Location updated. Not been on here for a while sorry.

I would not sell them for breeding at slaughter bull price if thats what i decide to do. if they are good enough to breed the price will reflect that. if they are not good enough they are culled and wouldn t want a cull bull with my herd name breeding as thats bad advertising.

sporder":1jfxctp6 said:
Location updated. Not been on here for a while sorry.

I would not sell them for breeding at slaughter bull price if thats what i decide to do. if they are good enough to breed the price will reflect that. if they are not good enough they are culled and wouldn t want a cull bull with my herd name breeding as thats bad advertising.
That makes sense. What if the buyer agreed to not register the bull and wanted to buy private treaty?

I thought they looked English.

sporder":2npm3jmo said:
saying and doing are 2 different things but if the buyer thinks the bull could move his operation forward then the choice is his i guess.
A man is only as good as his word. That's how I was seeing it..

I assume first two pics are one bull and second two are the other, judging by what I see. So I like #1 a lot, better line on the back ("remember I'm judging from two pics) deeper in the girth and in my eye I see he's plenty masculine at his age. Good looking bull, I'd use him in my herd.

i agree with bull #1 being the better looking but the one thing that is a problem (and one i cant look past) is his scrotal size. They are even in size but they are 32cm and sit very high (as in they dont hang down). He is also 2 months older than the other bull so would rather he looked like this at 15-16mo rather than 22mo. Bull #2 has a poor top line and not ideal feet/leg angles but has good growth. I do like to give them a chance and usually make my mind up in march but need to consider the cost of feeding them all winter against how much they will change/improve. i could continue to feed them and there cull value will be more or less the same

The first bull looks great to me. My neighbor is looking for one just like him, I wish you lived in Virginia.

these are not considered traditional but do have traditional bloodlines not far back in the dams pedigree. There aren t many traditional breeders left but i do know a couple.

They have some nice length and depth of rib to them and some pretty decent muscling. #1 has the better topline. Only thing I am concerned with is their testicle size. For being nearly 2 years old they should hang lower and measure more than that IMO. They aren't bad looking bulls by any means though, if you don't keep them for yourself you should be able to get more than slaughter price if you sell them as breeding bulls as long as they are good and fertile. Before any sale bull leaves our farm they get a Breeding Soundness Exam so we can guarantee they will breed.