Cull?

Help Support CattleToday:

Wewild

Reaction score
Limcowbag8x5.jpg

Don;t see why she should be culled as long as she's doing her job without you having to mess with her

dun

I wouldn't either, as long as her calf has no trouble sucking her and you don't need to mess with her. I've seen cows with worse udders than that still raise calves. Now, I wouldn't necessarily keep any heifers out of her though.

Her udder is huge, but her teats are nice and small, so the calf shouldn't have any trouble nursing her. I"ll bet she raises a good calf!

:shock:

As long as that bag is full of milk that the calf can get to, and she doesn't need extra attention/feed/etc and her calf grows well, I wouldn't cull her.

Katherine

Granny is getting up in years. I bet she's nearing 20. That ain't her calf by her side.

swiss8x5.jpg

If she still produce's a good calfe every year i would not cull her still looks to be in fine shape.One of my freind's had a limi cow he said was in her 20's diden't look near as good as your's but she turned a good calf.

rattler

What impresses me is the condition of the cows, appearing to be easy keepers along with being heavy milkers. The 20 year old cow is in great condition for her age and still producing a lot of milk.
That is a trait that I would prefer over having a small udder and needing lots of feed to maintain her body condition.
Chuckie

I wouldn't keep either. They look like their bags might involve work when they first calve. If not, they definitely need to be bred to bulls that will tighten up those quarters in every nook and cranny.

Wewild, based on the information available, I don't believe I would be culling the cow in picture #1 just yet. The second picture gives me cause for some alarm considering the size of her tits. She is rapidly approaching problem size, if she isn't there already, and I believe she would be on my short list because of that.

I would cull Granny or as said she would be on the short list.
It would not be just due to the udder, I would be watching cull prices and when they were up I would sell her more as an age/ udder issue. And she is a Limmi ;-)

Remember to think of that cull check as a part of your income- and plan accordingly... I mean cull before they start losing too much condition that they are not worth anything...
That cow right now is probably worth $600-750 as hamburger- maybe more at the latest prices, but at the age she is could quickly deteriorate to be worth very little......

If you retain 10-20% of your heifers yearly and cull the same yearly-- unless you have some major problems with your herd that takes precedent in your culling, they should usually not get that old...And your herd should be improving from the new genetics your adding....

I think I would go 1 more year. I don't like the udder, but the teats are OK. She's been nursing awhile, what does her bag look like the day she calves. The most important time, because the new calf needs to get that colostrum fast.

That second cow should have gone last year. What do those teats look like the day she calves. I would not consider saving any sort of breeding stock form her, For sure not a bull.

I'd ship both of them. I bet you have some heifers from cows with better udders you can replace them with. You may as well make things easier on yourself and get rid of any potential problems when you cull this fall.

i wouldnt cull the first cow if she can keep body condition and breed back on time. how old is she though? carrying all that milk can sure make an udder sag...

grannys teats would be a problem for me. (at least that front one that i can see well)

I would also cull "granny" for the reasons stated! I hate big teats.. being a Brahman breeder it is one we face all the time.

Latest posts