Cull cow and bull prices making us smile!

Help Support CattleToday:

Most of the pairs have been middle age to 1st calvers. I've been picking a few up here and there, planning on keeping any of the boughts that are better than what I currently have and sell the rest and my culls.

Most cattle sold here go out west.

I don't remember cull cows and bulls, but i do remember lightweight beef steers in the teens.

I can remember getting 15-18 cents for good slaughter cows and 30 cents for top bulls. That put common slaughter cows at around a dime and common bulls under a quarter. I can remember weaning age calves--400 lbs back then, at 18 cents for heifers and 22 cents for steers. Early 90's, I got 45 cents for 500 lb heifers and 50 cents for steers. I remember in the drought disaster of the early 80's getting 300 dollars for the top cow calf pairs. In the mid 70's calves shot up over a dollar and I had a neighbor who was offered 95 cents for his 7 wt holstein steers. He said, "I am going to hold until I get a dollar" The market crashed, he sold them at the end of the summer for 25 cents per pound. A sale at Harrison, Ar yesterday they had 2 herds of black cows---200 in one herd and 130 in the other. Both herds were very common cows. Good age pairs 1750-1975. Old pairs 1300-1500. 2nd and 3rd period good age, 1500-1700 and old 1200-1500. These were just 900-1100 lb cows, small calves and below avg quality. I took in a dozen old, really ancient cows that were big hereford holstein crosses suckled down to skin and bones for a neighbor. A couple got down getting out of the trailer and almost didn't get up, also one had cancer eye and was bleeding. They weighed 1184 average and brought avg of 72 1/2 cents per pound. That was incredible.

Yep.. took a 12 yr old cow in last week, (she was not breeding back) weighed 1275lbs.. got .73 cents per lb for her.. :shock:

I am taking a ton bull to the sale in about 30 minutes. I will see how prices are here. The report from Toppenish yesterday has bulls in the 0.90 to 0.99 range. This has been a good bull. He is an Image Maker 0415 son, out of a Sitz Rainmaker cow. I really like his calves but he has given me the evil eye a couple of times lately and he is just getting big. Big bulls eat a lot. Especially it seems like they eat a lot of hay in the winter and we have long winters. So to town he goes. Be nice if they beat a dollar here today.

Dave":xacs85yv said:
I am taking a ton bull to the sale in about 30 minutes. I will see how prices are here. The report from Toppenish yesterday has bulls in the 0.90 to 0.99 range. This has been a good bull. He is an Image Maker 0415 son, out of a Sitz Rainmaker cow. I really like his calves but he has given me the evil eye a couple of times lately and he is just getting big. Big bulls eat a lot. Especially it seems like they eat a lot of hay in the winter and we have long winters. So to town he goes. Be nice if they beat a dollar here today.
Well, what did he go for, Dave?

Bull brought $95.75 and he weighed 1900 pounds. Top bull brought $96.75. I was happy with the price. And I was real happy to see him gone. He went from an easy to handle mellow bull to plumb scary in two short weeks. He sent them all running for cover at the sale. I got him loaded ok by myself but after the trailer door was shut I realized that my hands were shaking. I am getting too old to be playing with those kind.

Latest posts