CTI tubs with garlic and altosid

Help Support CattleToday:

garnetann

Reaction score
I rarely if ever say WOW!, this is a great product, but I will now. The flies have almost disappeared since we started using this. They say the garlic on the lips repels flies, and in their system makes them not appealing to flies. Can't use with milking dairy because it will make the milk taste funny. But I am sold on them for my herd. The calves are enjoying it too. They manufacture the tubs locally for me, so I go right up to the place and get mine.

Invest in garlic. I'm not familiar with the tubs but everyone that I have seen that's using garlic in any type mineral is happy with the results.

VitaFerm Heat is the summer mineral I use. It has garlic. I don't see that it is making a difference in fly control. I use a combination of UltraBoss and Martin's 1 % synergized Permethrin. When it goes two weeks after application, they are covered in flies. Especially, face flies and stable flies.

So I am going to have to say, it don't work here or they are not getting enough garlic in their system.

Hootowl said:
Invest in garlic. I'm not familiar with the tubs but everyone that I have seen that's using garlic in any type mineral is happy with the results.
They are 14% all natural protein tubs with minerals too. I keep protein tubs out all year around, and this is the first year we used the ones with garlic. But the flies have been worse than I can remember and I needed to do something to ease them on the cows. We poured them, fly tags, and also spray them with permectrin every couple weeks, but I felt like I was still losing ground. Until the garlic... Maybe coincidence, but what ever it is suits me fine! The altosid works like rabon, passing through and then killing the larve in the manure.

Bright Raven said:
VitaFerm Heat is the summer mineral I use. It has garlic. I don't see that it is making a difference in fly control. I use a combination of UltraBoss and Martin's 1 % synergized Permethrin. When it goes two weeks after application, they are covered in flies. Especially, face flies and stable flies.

So I am going to have to say, it don't work here or they are not getting enough garlic in their system.

Use to know an old gal that took garlic daily. Stunk to high heaven but no effect on the flies. They still buzzed her. :hide: She was a pretty sizeable gal so might have needed a larger dose.

TexasBred said:
Bright Raven said:

Use to know an old gal that took garlic daily. Stuck to high heaven but no effect on the flies. They still buzzed her. :hide: She was a pretty sizeable gal so might have needed a larger dose.

Nothing worse about a human than odor. :hide:

TexasBred said:
Bright Raven said:

Use to know an old gal that took garlic daily. Stunk to high heaven but no effect on the flies. They still buzzed her. :hide: She was a pretty sizeable gal so might have needed a larger dose.

How long were you married to her?

sstterry said:
TexasBred said:
Bright Raven said:

How long were you married to her?

LMAO. :lol: :lol: :lol: Until she beat me up, robbed me and threw me out the door. :wave:

I'm skeptical of the concept of garlic in a mineral being very effective against flies. I read an advertisement from Southern States, in last months edition of our KY Cattlemen's monthly publication. Nowhere in the add for the minerals containing the cinnamon and garlic did it mention aiding in fly control. It only stated as an aid in increasing rumen efficiency or something of the sort, something that was linked as better for the environment they way I read it. I have over the last few years of folks adding garlic to their mineral or rations, for fly control maybe the amount is subjective.
Many of the old timers around here swore by the Sulphur salt blocks, saying that it made them smell like Sulphur and that it would keep the flies off. I used it for a while but then lost faith in it several years ago. Largely because I think they needed more minerals and in a loose formulation.

On a side note, I talked to the owner of the place that makes them, and found that while they definitely benefit from the protein and stuff in the tubs, in theory, you could add a bunch of powered garlic to their feed and it will help.

garnetann said:
On a side note, I talked to the owner of the place that makes them, and found that while they definitely benefit from the protein and stuff in the tubs, in theory, you could add a bunch of powered garlic to their feed and it will help.

Sounds like he finally read up on it too.

garnetann said:
I rarely if ever say WOW!, this is a great product, but I will now. The flies have almost disappeared since we started using this. They say the garlic on the lips repels flies, and in their system makes them not appealing to flies. Can't use with milking dairy because it will make the milk taste funny. But I am sold on them for my herd. The calves are enjoying it too. They manufacture the tubs locally for me, so I go right up to the place and get mine.

Tell em to put some lavender in there to keep the mescun buzzards away...... ;-)

Perhaps it has something to do with Allicin -

From the medical dictionary -
Allicin - A low-molecular-weight phytochemical with documented antimicrobial (antibacterial and antifungal), anti-thrombotic and allegedly anti-cancerous activity, which is present in garlic oil; allicin is regarded as a nutriceutical—a food component that may prevent or mitigate disease—which may decrease blood pressure and the risk of atherosclerosis.

Source
Garlic, leeks, onions.

Some more info -
https://lpi.oregonstate.edu/mic/food-beverages/garlic

We used to use the premixed tubs but eventually we switched to just buying the garlic in bulk. It's a whole lot cheaper this way and you can just mix it in with any loose mineral or feed you're already using. It took me a while to find a good source for the garlic powder but eventually I found one. You can order on line and get it delivered right to your ranch. Here's the site in case anyone's interested: olamspices[dot]com

dirtyharry1960 said:
We used to use the premixed tubs but eventually we switched to just buying the garlic in bulk. It's a whole lot cheaper this way and you can just mix it in with any loose mineral or feed you're already using. It took me a while to find a good source for the garlic powder but eventually I found one. You can order on line and get it delivered right to your ranch. Here's the site in case anyone's interested: olamspices[dot]com

The only potential problem with this is not knowing if you're using the same ingredient as the feed company. They usually use a highly concentrated form of a pure garlic product that actually performs. What you might be buying is little more than an odor that you're adding to the product for smell.

Latest posts