Crossing Red Angus

Help Support CattleToday:

Frankie

Reaction score
I've been watching the "Red Alliance" sale this afternoon on RFD off and on. Some of the bulls are being talked about as grandsons of the Angus bull Future Direction. I'm just curious as to whether that would make a difference either way, if you were interested in buying a Red Angus bull. Thanks...

This is just my opinion but the red angus gene pool is very tight right now. The outcross genetics to add new blood lines is very popular. People that have black cattle and can identify that they are red gene carriers can capitalize on that. I know there are some out there in Angus herds.

have a cold one

lazy ace

lazy ace":a4srasxs said:
This is just my opinion but the red angus gene pool is very tight right now. The outcross genetics to add new blood lines is very popular. People that have black cattle and can identify that they are red gene carriers can capitalize on that. I know there are some out there in Angus herds.

have a cold one

lazy ace

Yeah, but Future Direction is not a red carrier.

Frankie":3ca6txkx said:
lazy ace":3ca6txkx said:

have a cold one

lazy ace

But a Red Angus cow bred to him would have calves that are red carriers and are eligible to be registered as category 3 Red Angus. 100% Angus with a disqualification. If those offspring are bred to Red Angus cows and their offspring are red they're Red Angus without a disqualification.
I probably explained that in such a way as to make it much more confusing then it is

dun

dun":hwp57483 said:
Frankie":hwp57483 said:
lazy ace":hwp57483 said:

have a cold one

lazy ace

But a Red Angus cow bred to him would have calves that are red carriers and are eligible to be registered as category 3 Red Angus. 100% Angus with a disqualification. If those offspring are bred to Red Angus cows and their offspring are red they're Red Angus without a disqualification.
I probably explained that in such a way as to make it much more confusing then it is

dun

I understand that they're breeding up to Red Angus. I just wondered if a Red Angus bull buyer would be more or less likely to buy a bull that had a black Angus for a grandsire.

Frankie":3lgeadea said:
I understand that they're breeding up to Red Angus. I just wondered if a Red Angus bull buyer would be more or less likely to buy a bull that had a black Angus for a grandsire.

Probably depends on the black Angus about the same as it would with any bull in the pedigree. I don;t follow the off colored Angus, but there are specific Red Angus bulls that I wouldn't by any thing that they were in the pedigree of.

dun

dun":1mh99bjg said:
Frankie":1mh99bjg said:

Probably depends on the black Angus about the same as it would with any bull in the pedigree. I don;t follow the off colored Angus, but there are specific Red Angus bulls that I wouldn't by any thing that they were in the pedigree of.

dun
dun-

I understand what you are saying. Can you be more specific, and explain why you would be dissatisfied with those specific bulls to which you referred. Do you have a particular problem with Future Direction (other than the fact that he throws High tail settings to a lot of his progeny.)? Some of his Progeny are outstanding Angus examples, - -and some are not!

DOC HARRIS

we watched the heifers sale during lunch time and the auctioner was crap. the heifers were pretty nice though

DOC HARRIS":75por34t said:
dun-

I understand what you are saying. Can you be more specific, and explain why you would be dissatisfied with those specific bulls to which you referred. Do you have a particular problem with Future Direction (other than the fact that he throws High tail settings to a lot of his progeny.)? Some of his Progeny are outstanding Angus examples, - -and some are not!

DOC HARRIS

As I said, I don;t know the various off-colored Angus familys. I was referring to some Red Angus bulls.
Since you mentioned high tail heads I'll throw something in that's totally off the oriiginal subject. We have a cow that as she's gotten older has gotten to be pretty high in the tail head. I noticed that after she calved, for 3-4 days after calving whenever she would hump up to unirnate the urine was mixed with a little of the yucky cleaning type blood. To me this pretty well means that those high tail heads don;t allow proper cleaning (or sanitation) of the vagina. My old mentor used to claim that high tail headed cows became infertile or very hard to settle as they got older. The gunk staying around the OS seems to me that it would cause at a minimum irritation and possibly infections in that area or maybe even into the cervix.
Just another wandering thought.........

dun

Moocow11":32dklsp3 said:
we watched the heifers sale during lunch time and the auctioner was crap. the heifers were pretty nice though
Moocow-

I agree with you regarding the auctioneer. His presentation was not bad, he kept the flow going, he led the bidding adequately, but he should work on control his breathing and not "Gasp" directly into the microphone! He must learn to speak and breathe OVER the mike - and NOT directly into it. Those microphones are deliberately directional, and the air flow into and out of the auctioneer's mouth is exemplified by volume and diminished lung capacity.

The cattle were not bad, except that I am partial to the "Ruby" tinted Red Angus rather than the "Orange Crush" type (I guess 'Orange Crush' dates me, doesn't it?) I think that there were some good bargains today at that sale.

DOC HARRIS

Frankie":2lti87wk said:

Not a bull buyer, and don't know anything about Future Direction, but I'll stick my nose in anyway. It wouldn't affect me one way or another. Depends on the bull. If a particular RA bull or cow were what I was looking for, I sure wouldn't hesitate to use them because their grandsire were black.

I realize they are two different breeds in the US, and seedstock breeders of each may be selecting for different traits now, but if you go back far enough they all came from the same source. Good genetics is good genetics, no matter what the color.

Personal preference as to pedigree, but I would avoid Precision and New Design breeding if I were looking for an outcross Red Angus bull, just as I avoid F442 in the Red Angus. I would rather go back with some old "outcross" semen of Red Angus bulls or if I wanted black pedigree, I would want a 6807 or maybe Sinclair Rito Legacy.

Most commercial cattlemen around where i am say angus is angus. Red or black they wouldn't care if a red had black bloodlines or a black had red bloodlines. Every breed is looking for new outcross genetics. Last year at a bull sale i saw a red angus bull with both black parents top the sale $24000, it was honest not a set up i know the runner up bidder and winning bidders and the breeder granted he was a good bull regaurdless of color. But that new outcross really gets the checkbook open wide.

Latest posts