Crossbreeding Question

Help Support CattleToday:

ncboy34

Reaction score
Have a heard of all black angus cows and have used a black bull last year or so. He has been sold and I am wanting to do some crossbreeding. I would like to get baldy calves out of them and am looking into hereford bulls but has anyone used a baldy bull before? I have seen what look like black herefords which I assume are just baldies. Would these be just as good as a hereford bull? Seems like I read somewhere that they make great mama cows but not herd sires.

ncboy34":36xxsdag said:
Have a heard of all black angus cows and have used a black bull last year or so. He has been sold and I am wanting to do some crossbreeding. I would like to get baldy calves out of them and am looking into hereford bulls but has anyone used a baldy bull before? I have seen what look like black herefords which I assume are just baldies. Would these be just as good as a hereford bull? Seems like I read somewhere that they make great mama cows but not herd sires.

Baldies will not throw all baldies with your cows. Buy a good herf bull and laugh all the way to the bank!

If you want baldies get a Hereford Bull, but understand that you aren't really gaining alot this way --genetically-- by breeding 2 breeds like hereford and Angus together (two english breeds bred together is not going to change your genotype and phenotype too much.

ncboy34":31be9cb2 said:

JustSimmental":2ju5l2kf said:
If you want baldies get a Hereford Bull, but understand that you aren't really gaining alot this way --genetically-- by breeding 2 breeds like hereford and Angus together (two english breeds bred together is not going to change your genotype and phenotype too much.

ncboy34":2ju5l2kf said:

Yep that Hereford/Angus cross won't give you much.....that's why folks quit doing it years ago :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

JustSimmental":ggr6dbxp said:

ncboy34":ggr6dbxp said:
The he77 you say. How many have you tried Simmy??

LISTEN TO 3 WAY....
use a good hereford bull....
there is plenty of heterosis between angus and hereford....they are the ones that discovered it....
consistent and predicatable....

Breeding your black to a crossed up baldy
And you'll lose some benefits of hetrosis
I like the idea of a good herf too if your looking for Baldies.

Latest posts