Cross Breeding Beefmasters

Help Support CattleToday:

thommoos

Reaction score
Small herd of registered beefmasters. They vary in color from black, brown, and reds. No Paints. Most hored a few polled. Question is what to breed to, Central Alabama, hot. Should I try to cross or stick with a Beefmaster bull.

thommoos":3t6byaj3 said:
Small herd of registered beefmasters. They vary in color from black, brown, and reds. No Paints. Most hored a few polled. Question is what to breed to, Central Alabama, hot. Should I try to cross or stick with a Beefmaster bull.
keep the beefmaster bull.your cows are reg so you can make money selling reg replacement heifers.

In my opinion I would work towards uniformity. Color, polled or horned and size. Deciede where you want to be in the future. I would look for beefmaster bull that meets your expectations and help get where you want to be. I would want a more consistent calf crop before I looked in to crosses.

We ended up with a bunch of commercial Beefmaster females and a registered Beefmaster bull. Was never a fan of the bull or 90% of the resulting calves. Took him to the auction barn and got a registered Simbrah (75/25) from Smith Genetics, I posted a pic of him several months ago, some liked him some did not, but that is fine...looking forward to his first set of calves to start dropping mid Jan, should clean up the color (we have several paints) and add more pounds on the ground. We have several 5/8.3/8 Simbrahs, but I really like the look of the 75/25.

Also, as others have said, if you want to keep registered cattle get a reg bull. Seems like there is a big sale this weekend in Brenham, Texas.

thommoos":1o7c6ytr said:

How did you get a black Beefmaster? The cross is Shorthorn/Hereford/Brahman there is no black there.
Bet Lasater is rolling over in his grave.
Have the Beefmaster fell into the Angus septic tank?

Caustic Burno":10d40zp0 said:
thommoos":10d40zp0 said:

How did you get a black Beefmaster? The cross is Shorthorn/Hereford/Brahman there is no black there.
Bet Lasater is rolling over in his grave.
Have the Beefmaster fell into the Angus septic tank?[/quote] they had help from the breeders

ALACOWMAN":34vsyzea said:
greybeard":34vsyzea said:
[they had help from the breeders
Ya think?

Gotta admit, they look good, but they aren't true "Beefmasters" IMO.
http://www.cowmans.com/tcb/index.html

http://www.cowmans.com/tcb/blackreign.htm

Many of the breeders of black Beefmaster cattle have been looking for a good bull to put back on their black Black Magic daughters and granddaughters.
i dont think theres been a true beefmaster in years...[/quote]

I still have Black one listed there.
http://www.cowmans.com/photo/MagicsFuture.jpg Sold him to a commercial guy, real nice Brangus cross don't get me started on the corruption.

ALACOWMAN":gg9177lx said:
id go with a simmental, or hereford.,outside of the beefmaster... but id AI my top cows to a foundation type BM ...

Simmi or Fleck?

Hereford polled or Horned. Would I see any Heterosis?

A few years ago a Brangus bull got sneaked into a herd of Beefmasters, I can't remember the fellow's name but he was the President of the association at the time. I was told that he later admitted to sneaking the Brangus in, guess everyone had fallen onto the black kick so they let the black ones stay.

Rustler9":3cw4b4ay said:
A few years ago a Brangus bull got sneaked into a herd of Beefmasters, I can't remember the fellow's name but he was the President of the association at the time. I was told that he later admitted to sneaking the Brangus in, guess everyone had fallen onto the black kick so they let the black ones stay.

Not Only Brangus but Simmental also
Bubba.jpg

Now Bubba gave us great daughters

I would either stick with the Beefmaster bull, or go Limousin on those beefmaster cows.

thommoos":1srlssnw said:
ALACOWMAN":1srlssnw said:
id go with a simmental, or hereford.,outside of the beefmaster... but id AI my top cows to a foundation type BM ...

Simmi or Fleck?

Hereford polled or Horned. Would I see any Heterosis?
id definitely go with the fleckvieh simm. if you can find one.. be a pretty good kick of heterosis with it,, not much with hereford.. as there would be some breed regression..

thommoos":23svd7e4 said:
Rustler9":23svd7e4 said:

Bubba.jpg

he aint the type i had in mind

Rustler9":2mzy8rkn said:
with their breeding up program, looks like they wouldnt have to sneak to get black in there...

thommoos":21bcas65 said:
Rustler9":21bcas65 said:

Bubba.jpg

Total shame that the breeders in the association allowed another fine breed to be screwed up.
If I wanted Angus genetic's I would run an Angus bull like I do now or a Brangus.
Always liked Beefmaster and had thought about my next bull as Beefmaster, that went out the window.

If you have registered beefmaster why not just stick with it? breed fits the southern heat. I'd stay with BM if you're expanding your herd by retaining heifers, but if you want to do all market calves then use a terminal like Char or Limo. Could alternate back and forth depending on your replacement needs over the years.

I'd go with a Simmental bull - and I'm not saying that just because I'm a Sim fan. Have seen what BM cows bred to Sim bulls produce - and they're GOOD!

I don't know the BBU rules/regs, but it seems like they used to have an open herdbook and allowed breeding up to purebred status. One of my clients, back in the 1980s, was a BM breeder, and he had a big old black cow that was 'U' classified. At least some of her calves came out black. So... the black Beefmasters have been around for years.

Latest posts