Crockpot Pumpkin Chili (don't let the name scare you off)

Help Support CattleToday:

chippie

Reaction score
This is really very good. My daughter made it the other day and the whole family chowed down. She made it with turkey, but I suppose that you could substitute another meat, say like beaver or even beef.

We had cornbread with it.

Pumpkin Chili

2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 cup chopped onion
1/2 green bell pepper, chopped
1/2 yellow bell pepper, chopped
2 large cloves garlic, minced
1 pound ground turkey
2 14.5oz can diced tomatoes with jalapenos
1 14.5oz can red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1 14.5oz can black beans, rinsed and drained
1/2 cup frozen corn (she used a whole can of corn)
2 cups (1 14.5 ounce can) pumpkin puree (she used canned pumpkin)
1 1/2 tablespoons chili powder
1/2 tablespoon cumin
cayenne pepper to taste
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
For serving:
fresh cilantro
shredded Cheddar cheese
sour cream

Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
Saute the onion, green bell pepper, yellow bell pepper, and garlic until tender, about 10 minutes.
When done, transfer mixture to a slow cooker.

In the same skillet over medium high heat, add 1 tablespoon oil. When oil starts to shimmer,
crumble in ground turkey, and brown, about 10 minutes. When done, transfer mixture into slow
cooker.

Add the tomatoes, beans, pumpkin, and corn. Season with chili powder, cumin, pepper, salt, and
cayenne.

Cover slow cooker and cook on high for 4-6 hours or low for 6-8 hours.
To serve, garnish with chopped fresh cilantro, shredded cheese and sour cream, all to your tastes.

vrrcqd.jpg

That looks great chippie, but I just ain't sure if the chiligawd in me will let me put all that extra stuff in a bowl of red.
(I KNOW I ain't putting no Frijoles Negros in anything ever again)

I will make this tonight. I have already promised my co-workers I will bring it to share tomorrow.
I will let you know how it turns out! I just bought a crockpot for squirrel season, and am just learning all of the different things you can throw in there. Makes me wonder why I didn't get one sooner. Thanks Chippie!

My wife makes that on occassion. Its surprisingly good but its sortof hard to get your head around when you are expecting chili chili.

chippie":2oommjgh said:
This is really very good. My daughter made it the other day and the whole family chowed down. She made it with turkey, but I suppose that you could substitute another meat, say like beaver or even beef.
I adapted the recipe some to accommodate the less daring eaters. I used green chili diced tomatoes, and I skipped the cumin, cayenne and the cilantro (I did use salt and pepper! :lol2: ). I took out the black beans and replaced it with butter beans. Anyhow, my kids ate it for breakfast and protested me taking it to work ~ they loved it. Co-workers eat in 2 shifts, and first shift ate it all! I even added an extra can of diced tomatoes and an extra 1/2 lb of turkey. I would not have known there was pumpkin in there had I not made it.

I will definately make it again. Awesome (and super flexible!) recipe!! :clap:
Thank you!

Latest posts