Crash Course Hereford

Help Support CattleToday:

Santas and Duhram Reds

Reaction score
There are Victors. There are Dominos. There are L1s. This thread has been created for people to give a crash course to help people learn about the major lines origins, characteristics, uses, etc of the Hereford Breed.

Santas and Duhram Reds":12iutfbu said:
There are Victors. There are Dominos. There are L1s. This thread has been created for people to give a crash course to help people learn about the major lines origins, characteristics, uses, etc of the Hereford Breed.
Thanks. There is so much about this breed and their EPD's I do not understand. Sure, the website gives info but not insight. Got lots to learn
Valerie

That is exactly why I created these threads. For a newcomer to any breed it can be a little overwhelming sometimes to learn all about the different lines in a breed.

Maybe the easiest way to go about this is for someone to take a line and start talking about its origins, their attributes (what they are often used for), etc. Then hopefully the thread will move on to another line and discuss it.

This is purely meant to help ople become aware or familiar with some of the more predominant lines found in the Hereford breed.

a slight different topic but still hereford discussion. herefords originate from the uk so why do we import semen from usa canada australia etc. surly we should produce the best cattle because everyone else took genetics from uk. who has made the most of those genetics. yes i am from uk and i do admire herefords from other countries. i have seen some good bulls from australia recently. what do you think.

I'd like info on low birth weight line that has really good carcass qualities. If I find a really good AI sire, I may flush one of my best Reg Angus cows to him and save back the heifers. I'd have one heck of a commercial herd then.
Valerie

sporder":2q1qakl7 said:
a slight different topic but still hereford discussion. herefords originate from the uk so why do we import semen from usa canada australia etc. surly we should produce the best cattle because everyone else took genetics from uk. who has made the most of those genetics. yes i am from uk and i do admire herefords from other countries. i have seen some good bulls from australia recently. what do you think.

Yes the cattle came from the UK but the breed has gone through vast improvements all over the world as have most breeds.
There are several lines I really like to use one from New Zealand, and Victor line from Reed Farms out of Mo.
Kernsie on the board in South Africa has some of the finest I have seen.

I 've always heard that Herfords are prone to get pink-eye more often than other breeds is this true or has this been bred out of them and why would this breed be more likely to get pink-eye?
I've been leary of buying this breed due to this.
I do have a neighbor that has some good looking herfords.

jtbakv":qk3hw2u4 said:
I 've always heard that Herfords are prone to get pink-eye more often than other breeds is this true or has this been bred out of them and why would this breed be more likely to get pink-eye?
I've been leary of buying this breed due to this.
I do have a neighbor that has some good looking herfords.

Pink eye is a fly management problem not a breed problem, it is easier to see on a Hereford, I have had a few case's had it in my Brangus as well. Now the breed was more prone to cancer eye. Breeders have agressively been addressing this over the last twenty years. Again it is not the only breed I have had to get cancer eye. A lot of the sterotypes in cattle came from mismanagement practices of the past.
When the Char's got here i wore out a set of chains pulling those pallet headed calves. We didn't even know what an EPD was or a calving ease bull. We were rocket scientist we put those Blocky Chars on 800 pound cows and wondered why they were blowing up. We used not to hay our cows either they had to survive on the salt grass in the winter. I can remember a many a time settin a horse hearing J.D. Wiggins saying boy that old cow ain't going to make it.

Caustic Burno":3da5jjgv said:
Pink eye is a fly management problem not a breed problem, it is easier to see on a Hereford, I have had a few case's had it in my Brangus as well.

Winter before last it went through my brangus bunch. Hard to spot early cases.

I'm going to like this thread once the hereford folks jump in with both feet.

I am waiting for Knersie to chime in on this thread in relation to the subject "Pink-eye". Being very specific, pink-eye is NOT a Breed Problem, however the TENDENCY for Hereford cattle to manifest pink-eye symptoms (which are exacerbated by fly infestation and infection) is more likely to be manifest BECAUSE of the white faces and lack of color AROUND the eyes. Knersie's explanation of the Hereford "Eye Set" can help one understand the Physiology of the skeletal structure of the head and the shading effect that the eye BROWS (bone structure) and lashes provide in reducing infra-red and ultra-violet inflamations and irritations.

Think about it.

DOC HARRIS

DOC HARRIS":3n1oekti said:
I am waiting for Knersie to chime in on this thread in relation to the subject "Pink-eye". Being very specific, pink-eye is NOT a Breed Problem, however the TENDENCY for Hereford cattle to manifest pink-eye symptoms (which are exacerbated by fly infestation and infection) is more likely to be manifest BECAUSE of the white faces and lack of color AROUND the eyes. Knersie's explanation of the Hereford "Eye Set" can help one understand the Physiology of the skeletal structure of the head and the shading effect that the eye BROWS (bone structure) and lashes provide in reducing infra-red and ultra-violet inflamations and irritations.

Think about it.

DOC HARRIS

I would really like to see pics of the different eye types. That would be interesting, and very educational. Can I assume this "eye set" would be in all breeds? or just Hereford?
Valerie

vclavin":wds9qubl said:
DOC HARRIS":wds9qubl said:

Think about it.

DOC HARRIS

I would really like to see pics of the different eye types. That would be interesting, and very educational. Can I assume this "eye set" would be in all breeds? or just Hereford?
Valerie

It applies to all breeds.

Send me an e-mail and I'll forward you a link with more complete info.

A person can trace Hereford pedigrees back on The AHA Website. If you can get a hold of a Hereford Lineage book ( I think the last one was printed about 1975), you can run the cattle back to importation and in some cases back to England. The Lineage book does not list the breeder.

It is interesting how some of the breeding works. We were questioned in one of the other threads for using some Line 1 in the 1970's and 80's. The Line 1 cattle trace back to the DeBreard cattle in Colorado to Advance Domino 13. Our cattle through the Line 1 bulls we used trace back to Advance Domino 13 in 15 generations.
The non Line 1 side of our cattle trace back to Advance Domino 13 through President Mischief 33rd and President Mischief 68th in 12 generations. This was from the bull Advance Domino 84 Jane's Grandfather purchased from Mr. DeBreard.

Both the Line 1 cattle and the Nash cattle have been able to withstand linebreeding. Not all cattle will.
If my memory is correct The Miles City Project started with 14 lines.

Even though the cattle go back to the same bull, through many, many generations of selection criteria, the cattle are different today.

What are the requirements for an ongoing successful line?. Obviously the L1's are a successful line in that they never had to have an outcross, they didn't have genetic defects, and they are still available in an un-outcrossed state. There are a very few lines of Herefords that meet this criteria. Jim Lents would be one that meets these conditions but there are only a very few others.

If there are still other lines at Miles city then they probably would meet these conditions.

Idaman":1hbyr8k9 said:
What are the requirements for an ongoing successful line?. Obviously the L1's are a successful line in that they never had to have an outcross, they didn't have genetic defects, and they are still available in an un-outcrossed state. There are a very few lines of Herefords that meet this criteria. Jim Lents would be one that meets these conditions but there are only a very few others.

If there are still other lines at Miles city then they probably would meet these conditions.

What are the requirements for an ongoing successful line? In the case of the Line 1's, the biggest asset they have going for them is the federal treasury. I am a big fan of the line 1's, don't get me wrong. They are a great asset to the Hereford breed. Boy, wouldn't it be nice to have that kind of a line of credit?

Latest posts