Craigslist Cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

Dropped off 81 head of yearlings today for tomorrows sale. They included some calves I bought that were bulls which I got cheap and cut. I will make a killing on those calves. While I sit through the sale I will be looking for under priced bulls to buy. A lot of people don't like to buy bulls to cut in this hot weather. But nothing says I can't wait a month to cut them.
Do u tetanus and knife cut?
Or band em?

Thinking out loud here...

I will add to the previous post that I will discount or not even bid on a calf with horns. Especially in hot weather.
I castrate a lot of calves and it makes money.
"Never to hot to castrate, never to cold to dehorn." or so I was taught,, LVR

Lesson learned. Next time I'll cut.
Now, down here, you won't take that much of a cut, if any. Matter of fact, a lot of the sales kist their resuts as different weight heifers and different weight bull/steers. There are no "buyers"..no such thing as pot loads of cattle. Calving is year round, and calves are weaned when you bring them to the barn. Biggest trailer you gonna see is a 16' stock trailer. There is no conditioning, 45 days weaned, 90 days weaned, etc. Ultimate weight that you want to wean yiour calves at is about 450- 499 lbs. What buyers there are here, are peopo\le who do condition them for a few months, before sending them to feedlots. They can pay the same for a 400lb bull calf as a steer, because they gonna cut him or band him, and he is going to be conditioned for a few weeks to a few months, and the calf is over it by the time he is sent west.

WHat buyers there

@Warren Allison I have no idea the type of buyers in NE Texas. The sale barn owner said the calves wouldn't get discounted too much if intact, but judging from the the after market report I think they did. School of hardknocks is the best.

@Warren Allison I have no idea the type of buyers in NE Texas. The sale barn owner said the calves wouldn't get discounted too much if intact, but judging from the the after market report I think they did. School of hardknocks is the best.
Yeah, you are close to feed lots out there, and a lot of huge ranches. People out there do condition calves, and do haul them to the sale in 18 wheelers, and the barns sell them in groups. Tuition can be high in that school :). But, considering they brought in the middle of the price range, 10 cents higher than the low, you must have had good bull calves. Now you know to band them, so you gonna do better next time.

Now, down here, you won't take that much of a cut, if any. Matter of fact, a lot of the sales kist their resuts as different weight heifers and different weight bull/steers. There are no "buyers"..no such thing as pot loads of cattle. Calving is year round, and calves are weaned when you bring them to the barn. Biggest trailer you gonna see is a 16' stock trailer. There is no conditioning, 45 days weaned, 90 days weaned, etc. Ultimate weight that you want to wean yiour calves at is about 450- 499 lbs. What buyers there are here, are peopo\le who do condition them for a few months, before sending them to feedlots. They can pay the same for a 400lb bull calf as a steer, because they gonna cut him or band him, and he is going to be conditioned for a few weeks to a few months, and the calf is over it by the time he is sent west. WHat buyers there
I have banded calves and left calves bulls and there's only a few cents difference if any at the local sale barns we use . If we have time and are working the cows we band but we don't have a roundup just to steer calves . Pretty much what WA said .

Now, down here, you won't take that much of a cut, if any. Matter of fact, a lot of the sales kist their resuts as different weight heifers and different weight bull/steers. There are no "buyers"..no such thing as pot loads of cattle. Calving is year round, and calves are weaned when you bring them to the barn. Biggest trailer you gonna see is a 16' stock trailer. There is no conditioning, 45 days weaned, 90 days weaned, etc. Ultimate weight that you want to wean yiour calves at is about 450- 499 lbs. What buyers there are here, are peopo\le who do condition them for a few months, before sending them to feedlots. They can pay the same for a 400lb bull calf as a steer, because they gonna cut him or band him, and he is going to be conditioned for a few weeks to a few months, and the calf is over it by the time he is sent west.

WHat buyers there
I stopped by the Calhoun GA, which is on your area, sale last fall and watched the sale for an hour or so. I knew one of the buyers well and see him buying at 3 other sales. 600lb heifers were bringing around .90 there and were 1.15 here then. He bought at Knoxville TN the next day and averaged out the potload. Probably gave 1.20+ for some of the 600 lb heifers there. There was 1 buyer for sure and he ships several potloads a week. Not sure what the answer is but it does take buyers.

There was 4 calves I sold today. I bought them as 300 pound bulls last winter. They cost me $1.00 a pound. Today they were 666 pound steers. They sold in a group for $1.71. Very very few bull calves get sold around here. The few bulls today in the 300-400 pound size were $1.58-1.65. Steer calves that size were $1.90-2.00.

The 24 I sold today were all #2's when I bought them. Going off fuzzy memory they averaged weighing 370ish and I paid an average of $1.23. There was 16 heifers and 8 steers. Today they averaged weighing 712 and sold for an average of $1.4822 which is $1,055 average. The best was a group of 4 steers that went 844 pounds for $1.63. I saw a group of about a dozen steers weighing 670 bring $1.99. B had a group of 6 weight steers bring $1.99. Hardly any calves today. The ones they had lacked in quality. Probably 400 head or more of yearlings.

I stopped by the Calhoun GA, which is on your area, sale last fall and watched the sale for an hour or so. I knew one of the buyers well and see him buying at 3 other sales. 600lb heifers were bringing around .90 there and were 1.15 here then. He bought at Knoxville TN the next day and averaged out the potload. Probably gave 1.20+ for some of the 600 lb heifers there. There was 1 buyer for sure and he ships several potloads a week. Not sure what the answer is but it does take buyers.
Yes, I remember the day you went over there. That is the norm down here. He had to go to 2 sales to get up a truckload, and had to buy them one at a time. I got to go to the doctor in Calhoun this morning, so I may stop by the sale.

So I took 5, 8 month calves (1 black hfr, 4 bulls- 3 black 1, sand) to the Paris, TX barn sale last Wednesday. The heifer brought 165 cwt at 485 lbs, and the bull calves brought 155.66 cwt at avg 540lbs. I was surprised at how heavy were the calves, but a little disappointed that the bull calves did not bring in at least 10 cents more. The after market report said, 500-600: 145-185. I'm thinking mine got knocked down because they weren't cut. I got more than I expected because I didn't think they were more than 450 a head. I was very please with the barn's service. The fees were $198 which included $45 for 3 days of hay feed, since I drop them on Saturday for the Wednesday auction. Great people to work with. This was my first time taking calves to the sale barn.

In your opinion does not cutting bull calves discount their price? And by how much? I'm thinking I may have paid a $0.10 penalty.
You did discounted about 8 to 10 cents a lb for being a bull vs a steer. If you are going to haul in Saturday for a Wednesday sale, I suggest you wean your calves for 45 days at home, teach them to eat out of a trough and drink from a trough. You will reduce your shrink tremendously. A fresh weaned calf will lose weight for a week or so and then regain it back as it transitions to being on it's own.

You did discounted about 8 to 10 cents a lb for being a bull vs a steer. If you are going to haul in Saturday for a Wednesday sale, I suggest you wean your calves for 45 days at home, teach them to eat out of a trough and drink from a trough. You will reduce your shrink tremendously. A fresh weaned calf will lose weight for a week or so and then regain it back as it transitions to being on it's own.
Yes, the calves had been weaned 21 days.

Latest posts