Cracked hands..

Help Support CattleToday:

millstreaminn

Reaction score
What do you use for cracked skin on your hands? This winter has been brutal, and my hands are in poor shape. I have (and use) Bag Balm and some stuff from Bert's Bees. Both are okay, but neither seem to be working very well. Anything else I should try?

Haven't had the issues lately but there was a time I used Corn Huskers Lotion a whole lot. There were some years in my life I worked in a pattern shop making wood patterns for foundries. Skin on my hands would crack wide open. I had nightmares that I was sneezing out 12 x 3/8 inch compressed saw dust dowels. Once I found Corn Huskers my hands improved dramatically. The nightmares just got worse.

anhydrous lanolin - the pure stuff, not mixed up into a cream.

I've never found anything else that even comes close to the healing ability of lanolin. Just don't touch any light switches or anything; I used to put gloves on but it would still soak through and leave smears on stuff to annoy the next person who touched it.

Barrier creams are good at preventing cracks from getting worse. Nowadays I don't use either, using latex gloves for milking/dirty work makes the barrier creams and lanolin mostly unnecessary.

I pet the cows, and find the oils in their fur is good for my skin... I have very dry hands at the best of times, but rarely does it split.. I suffer from exaggerated callouses that I am always picking off.

Pig manure.......it has a hydrating effect.
or could it be the moisturizing soap that is always in the shower at the hog barn?

Vaseline. Corn Huskers good. Both have been mentioned. Had some cable grease once that had a lot of lanoline in it. Kept it on a lot back when I was doing a lot of welding.

Handling plastic bags, paper and money really dries my hands out to the point they crack and bleed. I started using O'Keefes Working Hands. Has worked wonders for me!

I second on the O'keffes working hands. Good stuff for sure, it's about the only thing that works for me.

"Udder Balm", not to be confused with "Bag Balm. I like the Udder Balm better. It is in a tube in the livestock section at Tractor Supply. I wash in antibacterial scrubs a lot, which cases the cracking and bleeding. (That and the outside work.)
I will also use Neosporin if Udder Balm not handy.

try wearing Nitrille(the purple or black ones) gloves. Put on whatever lotion and wear the gloves over it. I see lots of mechanics using them around here.

3waycross":6w4gr3ki said:
try wearing Nitrille(the purple or black ones) gloves. Put on whatever lotion and wear the gloves over it. I see lots of mechanics using them around here.

I had some serious eczema when I was younger. Dermatologist wanted me to wear some cotton gloves at night after using some lotion. That just wasn't going to happen for me, so I can't comment on effectiveness. The nitrile probably wouldn't bother me as bad. I'd just wonder if they would stay on with whatever all over your hands while working? Be something worth experimenting with, if my hands get bad again.

Right now, bag balm works for me.

Commercialfarmer":2woz3ta0 said:
3waycross":2woz3ta0 said:

I had some serious eczema when I was younger. Dermatologist wanted me to wear some cotton gloves at night after using some lotion. That just wasn't going to happen for me, so I can't comment on effectiveness. The nitrile probably wouldn't bother me as bad. I'd just wonder if they would stay on with whatever all over your hands while working? Be something worth experimenting with, if my hands get bad again.

Right now, bag balm works for me.

I feel for you. My aunt had it like that and lived in cotton gloves with rubber gloves over the cotton.

Latest posts