Do you still shake hands?

Help Support CattleToday:

jltrent

Reaction score
If not what do you do?

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/handshake-alternatives-gestures-around-world-trnd/index.html

With the social distancing, I haven't been in a situation that I might normally have shaken hands.

I don't think I particularly need anything to replace a handshake if it's taken out of our customary interactions. I'm good with a hello.

I did yesterday but it was a mistake, I forgot. I was up the back fence putting a top hinge on a gate into neighbours when Scott who works for neighbours turned up. I had not met him in person but knew him indirectly through people and had passed on information to each other on wild dogs so it was nice to meet him. It was just as we made contact I remembered. I am sure Scott would have noticed the change in the grip but then I thought, too late, better make the most of it so continued with a firm handshake

Ken

Has hand shaking become more frequent in the last several years? When I was growing up in the 70s and 80s, I knew there was hand shaking in church, at job interviews, and more formal situations, but I don't recall grown men shaking hands with every encounter like people expect these days. Maybe we were just dull. Lol

When are people supposed to call you Miss/Ms./Mrs./Mr Last name? Its bothers me when professional people call me by my first name. At what age or who calls you Mrs Last name? 🤨🤔

herofan said:
Has hand shaking become more frequent in the last several years? When I was growing up in the 70s and 80s, I knew there was hand shaking in church, at job interviews, and more formal situations, but I don't recall grown men shaking hands with every encounter like people expect these days. Maybe we were just dull. Lol
Must be a regional thing. I've been trying not to shake hands, which hasn't been hard because it's hardly ever done outside of formal settings. The upper midwest is generally pretty casual.

pricefarm said:
I still do. Can't break the habit I guess. A good firm handshake tells a lot about a person.

Did you every have a person that you shook hands with that would try to put you on the ground with a shake that nearly broke bones in the hand. We had a coach that was like that. Even after he was out of the school he would do that. When he stuck out his hand to shake with me I immediately stuck my hands in my armpits. There is a difference in a firm handshake and a warm friendly handshake.

Buck Randall said:
herofan said:
Must be a regional thing. I've been trying not to shake hands, which hasn't been hard because it's hardly ever done outside of formal settings. The upper midwest is generally pretty casual.

Could be a regional thing. I've noticed it more these days, but not as much when I was growing up. I've noticed hugging is bigger too. I don't ever remember men hugging just as a greeting when I was a kid, even if they hadn't seen someone for a long time, but I see that more now; especially if people get together at a reunion of sorts; it's a big hug-fest, but I don't recall that as a kid.

Shaking hands, embracing & even a peck on the cheek are driven by cultural, regional and personal proclivities. In many parts of the world its an acknowledgement of respect and/or affection. Where this the case, I sincerely hope the current pandemic doesn't erridicate those actions. With a few exceptions, all creatures greatly benefit from physical contact. :2cents:

herofan said:
Buck Randall said:
herofan said:

Could be a regional thing. I've noticed it more these days, but not as much when I was growing up. I've noticed hugging is bigger too. I don't ever remember men hugging just as a greeting when I was a kid, even if they hadn't seen someone for a long time, but I see that more now; especially if people get together at a reunion of sorts; it's a big hug-fest, but I don't recall that as a kid.

I've not thought about it much but folks have always seemed to shake hands around here when introducing themselves or when seeing someone they haven't seen in a while. It's always been very common in business deals and at church. A couple years ago when we joined another church I noticed that it is more of a hugging church congregation.

Yes sir. I probably won't ever stop it. Am a little more cautious now I just make sure I don't touch my face after and wash my hands.

hurleyjd said:
pricefarm said:
I still do. Can't break the habit I guess. A good firm handshake tells a lot about a person.

Did you every have a person that you shook hands with that would try to put you on the ground with a shake that nearly broke bones in the hand. We had a coach that was like that. Even after he was out of the school he would do that. When he stuck out his hand to shake with me I immediately stuck my hands in my armpits. There is a difference in a firm handshake and a warm friendly handshake.

Had a coworker like that, then he would tell others and laugh about them not being able to handle his handshakes. I had learned a trick sometime in my past, that if you hold your thumb of the hand being squeezed and wrap your other hand around the thumb just bend it a little you will dig your knuckles into the top of the other persons hand and will bring them to their knees depending on how hard you dig your knuckles in. Anyway, he tried doing it once to me in front of a group of coworkers and was ready for it. He quit doing it after that, at least at work.

Not much lately. My respect for other people's health and well being over rides any need I might have to greet them physically.

I try and catch myself, but still would shake hands. Maybe wash immediately if I felt the need.

Latest posts