Coyotes

Help Support CattleToday:

ChrisB

Reaction score
Not trying to bring up the other topic again, but Craig mentioned a couple times 100 pound coyotes! Is that really how big they get down there? No wonder you have problems with them down there. That's bigger than I think the average timber wolf is up here. Good luck getting rid of them.

Also not trying to stir things up, just reporting what I've seen and MHO.
In S.W. Arkansas we have the "true" coyotes, 25 - 40 lbs, narrow face, small boned, etc. But sometimes we do see what I think of as Dun's Coy-dogs for want of a better word. Don't know it it's coyotes crossed with dogs or maybe a wolf crossed with dogs but they're much larger ( 60 - 70 lbs ) & more agressive than a "true" coyote. While their color is much like a coyote their muzzle is broader, head more massive, etc. Lots of folks around to home call them wolves, I don't know, but they're pretty dog gone big.

;-)

TLCfromARK":34avmnvu said:
Also not trying to stir things up, just reporting what I've seen and MHO.
In S.W. Arkansas we have the "true" coyotes, 25 - 40 lbs, narrow face, small boned, etc. But sometimes we do see what I think of as Dun's Coy-dogs for want of a better word. Don't know it it's coyotes crossed with dogs or maybe a wolf crossed with dogs but they're much larger ( 60 - 70 lbs ) & more agressive than a "true" coyote. While their color is much like a coyote their muzzle is broader, head more massive, etc. Lots of folks around to home call them wolves, I don't know, but they're pretty dog gone big.

;-)

well thats not too common but it is believable. now a hundred pounds is a different story. you would have to find a 160 pound woofer to cross with that 40 pound howler . if she was crazy enoughto stand for him she better hope he has some lbw epds. the whole things kinda comical if you stop to think about it.

The breeder that we got 2 of our Great Pyrenees from said this
"As bad as these dogs hate coyotes and will work to keep them away from your animals, don't think they won't breed one if she comes in heat. And that's just what you need--GREAT BIG COYOTES running near your place"

That was all it took to make it worth the money to neuter our dogs. I feel that if folks would quit feeding the fire, and be a bit more responsible for the animals they own, we could get back to facing natural predators and worry less about the ones that we have created.

Here in Va. coyotes can and do get big. Some of them used to be mixed with dogs about 15 years ago. I caught one that was poor as a snake in February that weighed 60 pounds. He was black with a broad head, obviously a dog hybrid. Well now they have started to breed true. The dog hybrids heat cycles are out of whack with coyotes and the second generation doesn't make it as well in the wild.
Here lately the coyotes I have caught have typical coyote markings and weigh about 40 to 50 pounds. Every once in a while they will be more red, like a red fox, and be about 60 pounds. This is undoubtedly coming from the red-wolf genes. This is mixing with grey wolf-influenced coyotes already coming out of north-east Canada since the 60's! The gubmint turned red wolves loose all across the south and east. They will breed with coyotes and survive in the wild. So everybody thank your wonderful goverment expert for diluting the ever-expanding coyote population with an animal that is much larger and hunts in packs more effectively!
I am doing my part, I have pretty much tailored my life around trapping and calling coyotes, and I could have filled up a stock trailer with carcasses! In all of my studies, the only way you could come up with a 100 pound coyote is if you lived in Maine or close to it, or if you had a red wolf cross and fed it well, or had a feral dog-wolf hybrid.
Keep in mind that I am a p-ed off farmer/coyote trapper and have been in the presence of alot of goverment trained morons(I mean experts) so I know what I'm talking about!

Oh Andyva where are ya when we need ya...we have poor luck calling in coyotes here.....we have Llamas her trying to keep them off the calves, but we lost all of our crea (llama babies) last year to coyotes and wild dogs,
As cruel as it sounds, we have been trying to introduce parvo back into the packs to wipe the whole pack out at once, It worked a few yrs back, and kept them down for some time, cus the more you trap and shoot, the more they breed! We and our neighbors keep our pets well vacinated to prevent infection there.

We have noticed a huge decline of small game as well a deer in the area in the past several years as the coyotes packs have increased in size.

Also, had a poor calf make it back to the barn, bawling, in time for us to see him dragging his intestines on the ground and coyotes trying their best to bring him down.

Damn dogs of satan if ya ask me.

Latest posts