Coyotes cross breeding with dogs

Help Support CattleToday:

TennesseeTuxedo":2ljqk0sq said:
How common is it for coyotes and domestic dogs to cross?
TT, it is over-stated in my opinion. Does it occur: yes. But it is outside the norm on the extreme ends of the bell curve. I would wonder also about the fertility of the offspring. They are different species. Dog - Canis lupus familiaris ; wolf is Canis lupis so same species. But coyote is Canis latrans. However, species of the same genus are documented to cross and there are cases where the offspring have been fertile albeit at a lower fertility.

I have seen some coyotes here that are crosses but most look like the coyotes I hunted for 33 years in Montana, Wyoming and Colorado. I hear folks say the coyotes here are bigger but I shot some big ones in Montana. If you get out in some areas where they have not been pressured, they will come in on the run to a good electronic call. I have had 6 and more come in at the same time. Some of those I have seen in Montana were as big as any I have seen here.

TennesseeTuxedo":2uld95kh said:
Do you shoot them on your property Inyati?
Baby Brother got this one. 15 years younger than me. I got the electronic call with the distress rabbit that jumps around on a stake.
23wp9n7.jpg

TennesseeTuxedo":14tkdket said:
Do you shoot them on your property Inyati?
TT, I shoot them everywhere I can, the "good" ones and the "bad" ones!!!
I don't even discriminate based on religion. I shoot 'em whether their Muslin, Christian or Catholic!

Latest posts