Coyotes cross breeding with dogs

Help Support CattleToday:

I've heard ( not herd ) that the coyotes east of the Mississippi river all have some dog blood. I know they look different than western yotes. There are a lot of black ones down this way and I think that's pretty rare out west. I've also heard they are more aggressive than the western yotes also. I truly believe they are hurting our deer herd ( not heard ).

Deepsouth":3t4sq267 said:
I've heard ( not herd ) that the coyotes east of the Mississippi river all have some dog blood. I know they look different than western yotes. There are a lot of black ones down this way and I think that's pretty rare out west. I've also heard they are more aggressive than the western yotes also. I truly believe they are hurting our deer herd ( not heard ).

I hear (not here) ya Deepsouth. We had a professional trapper take 13 coyotes on our farm this week and he told my mother in law that several of them were hybrids. One weighed upwards of 40 pounds and she said it was huge.

I have been torn on the killing of them based mostly on what guys like Bez and others have said about "good" coyotes.

Someone trapped a coyote x border collie hybrid a little while ago in our area. Looks a coyote but with white collar/leg markings. I heard a report in Duluth about a feral black Labrador teaming up with a coyote pack.

Pretty common here. I'm pretty sure a blue heeler I had bred (not bread) a few. The 50/50 mix will have litters year round like a dog. Making them more prolific.

Bigfoot":2d8v1lpz said:
Pretty common here. I'm pretty sure a blue heeler I had bred (not bread) a few. The 50/50 mix will have litters year round like a dog. Making them more prolific.
I thought F1 coyote x dog hybrids have reduced fertility?

I doubt it happens much here but I did see a black yote last year which is queer for here. Took me a bit to decide that's what it was and not a Shepard. I have seen some dogs here that looked like hybrids but were "pets" too.

OakCreekRanch":61d779s4 said:
Bigfoot":61d779s4 said:
I thought F1 coyote x dog hybrids have reduced fertility?

The old folks say larger litters. They may be wrong, after all they were the same ones that told me if I worked hard, I'd get ahead.

TennesseeTuxedo":1cowrvz6 said:
Deepsouth":1cowrvz6 said:

I hear (not here) ya Deepsouth. We had a professional trapper take 13 coyotes on our farm this week and he told my mother in law that several of them were hybrids. One weighed upwards of 40 pounds and she said it was huge.

I have been torn on the killing of them based mostly on what guys like Bez and others have said about "good" coyotes.

The only good coyote I've ever seen was one with a bullet in his brain, and his hide on a stretcher.

The coyotes have a much greater chance of having red wolf in them versus domestic dog.
Most coyotes will kill and eat a dog. We have a larger than average strain of yote according to the biologist
they are wolf/yote hybrids. They claim the expanding coyote range here is what caused the Red Wolf to become extinct.
http://www.tpwmagazine.com/archive/2012 ... L_redwolf/

Caustic Burno":e6qfv0jt said:
The coyotes have a much greater chance of having red wolf in them versus domestic dog.
Most coyotes will kill and eat a dog. We have a larger than average strain of yote according to the biologist
they are wolf/yote hybrids. They claim the expanding coyote range here is what caused the Red Wolf to become extinct.
Get closer to NM in Texas, and you start getting more Mexican Wolf mixed in.
The black colored coyote comes from a recessive gene from the grey wolf.

They say the Brush wolf, which is actually a coyote before the started calling it such, was about the size of a wolf, but after hundreds years of in-breeding they got smaller in size, and more pale.

Back when the Coydog notion first came out we were told that not many pups survived. In the wild the male helps the female hunt for food to feed the pups. When crossed with dogs the male breeds then goes home leaving the female to raise the pups alone.
I know the coyotes and dogs do not get along here. The coyotes will attack and kill a lone dog.

I don't really buy the crossbreeding except by man. I won't say never.
It is like trying mixing oil and water.
I spent a lot nights with one of the local coyote hunters and he caught tons of the dang things.
He supplied them to catch pens where they ran them. I have seen size and color variation but not dog.
As many dogs as there are running these woods along with coyotes if it was common you would think he
would have caught at least one.
This guy was amazing to watch he had hounds that would run them till they bayed.
He caught them with a stick like the dog catcher uses. He had a pretty elaborate set up with quarantine pens and large pens.

sim.-ang.king":f6ke5v0a said:
Caustic Burno":f6ke5v0a said:
Get closer to NM in Texas, and you start getting more Mexican Wolf mixed in.
The black colored coyote comes from a recessive gene from the grey wolf.

They say the Brush wolf, which is actually a coyote before the started calling it such, was about the size of a wolf, but after hundreds years of in-breeding they got smaller in size, and more pale.
Our wolf biologists said our timber wolves of Minnesota have coyote genes in them. Their theory is that when the timber wolves are rare back in old days and the wolves have a difficult time to find a mate so they mated with the local coyotes (usually male wolf x female coyote but never female wolf x male coyote). That doesn't change the fact that coyote and dog did mated in the wild.

Latest posts