Coyote hunting

Help Support CattleToday:

Booneville

Reaction score
Anyone having problems with coyotes? A few years back, you could hear them in my neighbors pasture but it was just a few. This year, you hear them and they are all over the place, sounds like hundreds!
He's got the biggest ranch I know of around here and his dog was recently bit by a coyote but he still won't let us hunt them on his property. Anyone know a way I could convince him?

Some people just don't like hunting and unless you can do some mind trickery by your jedi powers or arrange for a coyote to bite the man personally .. You will probably be out of luck. I do not have any coyote problems but there is plenty here.

I don't blame him for not wanting anyone to hunt on his property.

You might offer to pay him for the opportunity to hunt.

Coyotes are magical beast, one from a mile away can sound like 20 in your backyard.

We have coyotes all over our place, they don't bother me and I don't bother them. I have seen them walk right through a herd of grazing cattle. mommas with calves, neither the coyotes or the cows paying any attention to each other.

If someone's dogs are bothered by coyotes I would recommend getting a bigger dog. :cboy:

If there are as many as you think.....and they are doing damage just sit and wait him out. If he gets hurting pretty bad he will come to you. If you hound him about hunting he will mark you off the guest list for sure. The places that I am coyote hunting on now have all been by invitation because they have been having problems. I didn't ask permission from any of them.

Skyhigh- My neighbor and his wife are not old but older and they don't hunt, don't really have the time. We occaisonally drop off deer meat to them when we tag out for the season but that hasn't been done in a while. I'm going to try and see what happens.

Chippie- It's not about his property as much as it is ours. We keep the land behind our house wooded. We don't cut lanes for anything, it's strictly hunting grounds and we bow hunt. About 2 years ago it wasn't uncommon to run into turkeys with chicks (think that's what you call them). We were feeding deer and turkey in 6 places that had good light. We planted seasonal grasses and put feeders out to get an inventory. I've checked our game cameras and nothing, not a single bird. We trap our land for foxes, bobcats, coons and whatever else. Don't like when you run up on a skunk. lol We hunted every day of this last turkey season and walked every inch of our property calling every 20 or so steps with not one response. I know these birds will come in silent sometimes but they shouldn't/haven't in previous seasons.

MR3- LOL he's got a big dog, she's a wimp though. They can make themselves sound like a pack but when you see them with a spot light and you count 20+ sets of eyes, something needs to be done.

Hoss- That's a good idea, I'm going to offer my services to him and tell him about the woods behind our house and see what he says. I don't want to push the issue to much like you said. I just want him to know we'll do it for free or we'll pay him whichever it takes. I just want to thin out the pack.

The housecat, coon's and skunk's are a bigger problem for the turkey's than the yote's.
You also have had a hurricane on the east coast Sandy.
I haven't seen a turkey here since Rita disappeared overnight.
Coyote's don't understand a fence if they are on your neighbor's and you really think they are a problem, you can hunt them just as effectively on your own.

I've had coyotes come up close in broad daylight and try to lure my dog away. You can bet there will be a few more waiting over the next rise. And CB is right, cats are the problem with turkeys. A bobcat is the ultimate turkey hunter. A heavy snake population will also clean them out as they nest on the ground and a big snake can eat the eggs but the coyotes tend to leave them alone. If a skunk is around they'll eat eggs as well.
A lot of folks have just had it with hunters. Personally I'd rather put up with the damage that the pigs and coyotes do than put up with a hunter. There's a handful of people that get to go whenever they want and shoot whatever they want but anyone that asks isn't one of them. If you try to be manipulative about it and convince them you're most likely just sealing your fate.

LOL I understand they don't know what a fence is. There's 2 problems with hunting our property. 1 it's heavily wooded and I've never hunted coyote's in woods. It's always been open fields with green spot lights. 2 our property borders his property but both of our land is divided by the road. We have 50 behind us and 20 across the road. His is similar but he had 1000 in front and 100 in the back or something close to that. He complains about the coyote's all the time but he won't let us hunt them.
My neighbor and I are good friends but he's had a few of his stock shot by people shooting guns towards his property. I could hunt our 20 in the front but it just doesn't feel right to me. Feels like I'm spitting in his face or saying the H3ll with you.
He asked me a few months ago if we shot towards his cows and I said no. We drove down with him to a cow that was carring a calf ready to drop soon and she had a small (.22 cal or smaller) hole in her back right leg. It was an entry/exit wound and she healed. We even went and gave her shots and doctored it for him just to help.

Chippie you said they fire ants are killing the birds in texas? That's crazy sounding, not saying it's not true, just never thought about that.

Cow Pollinater we don't have hogs on our land but we take our dogs to oklahoma to a rancher over there and hunt them for him. No guns ever used, his request and we respect that.

brute I hope our deer population doesn't drop. I would be super mad about that!
I'll talk to him about it again but not press the issue, just tell him were going to hunt coyote's behind the house if he hears anything, just ignore it. Heck, the biggest gun we hunt coyote's with is a 22-250 and that's rare, normally it's .22 (mag) or .17HMR

Coyote's are actually easier to hunt in the wood's IMO, you have to get hid good.
Call them in and bust them with a load of buckshot. Your wood's can not be thicker than here in the Big Thicket.
I don't know if you have fire ant's or not but if you ever get them you can kiss most your ground nesting bird's good bye.
We don't have field Lark's anymore very few quail and they closed our turkey season last year.

RE: fire ants. They are very bad here. They kill the chicks in the eggs when they start to hatch. They also attack nests that are in the lower parts of trees, and newborn animals. We used to have a lot of quail here. Not any more.

Latest posts