Black coyote

Help Support CattleToday:

This one was got by a Facebook friend in the county.
Said it was the first black one he had seen.
I've seen a lot of variation in them color and size wise. View attachment 25197
From what I've heard there are a lot of cross bred coy-dogs back east, and in the NE there are coy-wolf crosses that are becoming common. I've seen one coyote that had to have some greyhound in it. Considering the way nature works I'm not surprised.

I don't think there is a pure bred coyote left east of the Mississippi River.
A guy that used to shear sheep for us also ran a trap line in the winter. When he was younger he also trapped in WY and MT. He said eastern coyotes would snarl and lunge towards you when you walked up on them and western coyotes would lunge away trying to escape.

I don't think there is a pure bred coyote left east of the Mississippi River.
A guy that used to shear sheep for us also ran a trap line in the winter. When he was younger he also trapped in WY and MT. He said eastern coyotes would snarl and lunge towards you when you walked up on them and western coyotes would lunge away trying to escape.
Some of them definitely are not afraid. They will run a few yards and stop and look back, I reckon that's why it's a good idea to have a gun handy at all times.
Years ago when I had sheep. A small one that looked like a coyote in the books ( most are larger here a lot are reddish or darker) was trying to get a lamb. I called the sheep up to the barn lot and it followed them and I was within a few feet of and trying to run it off. It wouldn't budge it was focused on grabbing a sheep or lamb and didn't seem to care that I was there. Told my mother to go get my gun cause I knew if I left it would come on in the lot. That turned into a argument cause she hated guns. I was throwing rocks trying to get it away. It finally gave up but took a long time.
Have seen several that looked obviously to be mixed with dogs, and a couple big ones that looked more like wolves. At the time one of those big ones was around a neighbor lost some mature ewes and a ram.
Work hand and I went out to feed one morning, had a group of 20 some weaned Holstein steers that had been spooky and on edge for a while. We saw two coyotes circling them and eventually the calves spooked and ran.

Some of them definitely are not afraid. It wouldn't budge it was focused on grabbing a sheep or lamb and didn't seem to care that I was there. Told my mother to go get my gun cause I knew if I left it would come on in the lot. That turned into a argument cause she hated guns.
Jeezus MOM... get the GUN!!!

My mom, while never a huge fan of guns and also having bad memories involving them, can shoot one always keeps one loaded and especially if there's kids or grandkids in the house that she's responsible for. I've always respected the hell out of that, that really speaks volumes to the kind of woman she is.

Wasn't saying anything bad about your mom, KyHills. Just shooting the breeze.

Thats not likely a coydog (f1 cross), but could certainly have some dog in its distant background that showed up. Its even more possible that its just a unique coloration. I've trapped a bunch of eastern coyotes and never has one tried to come at me.

Latest posts