Cows that will get ya

Help Support CattleToday:

We just don't find in necessary to do anything to the newborns unless they need help. There is plenty of time for ID'ing and castrating. Vet said it's a waste of time and money to vaccinate until they are past 3 months.

I have put up with a nut a time or two for one reason or another. In the end they went the way they should have in the beginning.

Even my gentlest cows get a look in their eye when I tried tagging some of the calves right after birth. Working by myself I decided it wasn't worth the risk. I found one calf hidden on the edge of the woods while the cows were in the corral getting a treat. As soon as I held the calf to weigh and tag it, he started bellowing and the whole herd came running at about 60 mph! At that point I decided we could probably wait.

I now leave them alone until until the vet and I work them the first time at about 200 pounds in mid May. The we weigh them, ear tag them, they get their first shots and the bull calves are cut.

Much safer. They go back out on good grass. Catch them in the chute. Jim

If I got rid of every cow that was "a nut case" when she calved I would not have any cows (no I have not tested them to see, and I'm not going to). The only real nut cases are the people thinking they won't hurt you. Mom may watch as you work on a calf. If the calf bawls the mom may take on an entirly different attitude.
The only cows/bulls that have ever hurt me were the docile ones. Every one of those injurys was my fault.
For those that think they have culled out this trait, I pray you never have to learn the hard way.
Fear is what keeps us alive. It is whats makes us think before taking action.

Just to show that even experienced cattle floks do stupid stuff my brother-in-law with 40 years experience got into the head catch chutte with a cow on Sunday. Surprise surprise the cow won. Thankfully he got only minor bruises and soem sore muscles. I still am in shock he would do htat. I sure would not! I can laugh at him now though thankfully. Hope I remember his lesson as Darwin tends to strike me too. LO. That SOB is still alive and well.

Around our operation if you don't get the calf tagged in the first 24 hours you arent' tagging it until May. And with the ammount of time it takes to try to pair up hundreds of bawling calves after you work them and the possible mix ups I tag at birth. Can't afford not to for sake of time. Know your cows and always have an escape route. If cow is nasty easiest to rope the calf and tag it from safety of your truck bed.

It's all about awareness of your surroundings, same as it should be every time you are working cattle.

Jake":1q0ymgoo said:
Around our operation if you don't get the calf tagged in the first 24 hours you arent' tagging it until May. And with the ammount of time it takes to try to pair up hundreds of bawling calves after you work them and the possible mix ups I tag at birth. Can't afford not to for sake of time. Know your cows and always have an escape route. If cow is nasty easiest to rope the calf and tag it from safety of your truck bed.

It's all about awareness of your surroundings, same as it should be every time you are working cattle.
We separate the cow and calf with a truck. (When the calf is lying in the pasture.)The passenger pulls the calf into the cab. If the calf needs treatment we go to the pens. If just an ear tag its done in the cab. The calf is weighed on the way back out the door as the cow is trying to get the driver.

Tried that one on a "gentle" angus cow...two side view mirrirs later and lots of dents...calf tagged, vaccinated and banded. Gotta love he old farm trucks. LOL

Now you guys got me thinkin ( Uh Oh ).
I have a one ton Mega Cab - probably get 6-8 maybe more calves back there, maybe get you to loan me that calf table you got covering a stump novetech. Could have a little beverage area as well.....
Never have to leave the truck! :D

You guys sure you're not talking them alpalca thingies?? :lol:

AngusLimoX":2eb0i3vm said:
I have a one ton Mega Cab - probably get 6-8 maybe more calves back there, maybe get you to loan me that calf table you got covering a stump novetech. Could have a little beverage area as well.....

I was going to ask you how you managed to get those calves tagged without a squeeze. I just figured you had a trailer portable rig. If you want I'll fix The calf table up with a trailer, portable coral, beer cooler, awning, bar-b-que pit, etc. I will even add hydraulics if you want. :lol2:

novatech":3k1s2f5u said:
AngusLimoX":3k1s2f5u said:

I was going to ask you how you managed to get those calves tagged without a squeeze. I just figured you had a trailer portable rig. If you want I'll fix The calf table up with a trailer, portable coral, beer cooler, awning, bar-b-que pit, etc. I will even add hydraulics if you want. :lol2:

Oh I squeeze em, between my knees!! Just gotta watch when they buck or head butt, or it won't be them gettin aced!
Man I saw a nice pneumatic hoof trimming rig at one of the shows, almost silent, had the cows dancing on air! :lol:

We tag at birth also but my calf tagger and automatic gate opener are one and the same
I usually stand guard for her in case a momma gets to excited just so I can yell at her before she gets steam rolled that way she knows it is coming
and then if she lets the calf go before she gets it tagged while the momma is rolling her on the ground I have to yell at her a little more for being incompetent

Angus Cowman":2grripbo said:
We tag at birth also but my calf tagger and automatic gate opener are one and the same
I usually stand guard for her in case a momma gets to excited just so I can yell at her before she gets steam rolled that way she knows it is coming
and then if she lets the calf go before she gets it tagged while the momma is rolling her on the ground I have to yell at her a little more for being incompetent

Do You think, maybe, she might visit this forum some day and see what you typed here??
And I was worried a bucking calf might neuter me! You got bigger worries!! :lol:

AngusLimoX":59vzkfsa said:
novatech":59vzkfsa said:
AngusLimoX":59vzkfsa said:

Oh I squeeze em, between my knees!! Just gotta watch when they buck or head butt, or it won't be them gettin aced!
Man I saw a nice pneumatic hoof trimming rig at one of the shows, almost silent, had the cows dancing on air! :lol:

Was that a No tilt hydraulic chute. We had a regular trimmer at the dairy all the time , and that is what he had . It was called no-tilt hoof trimming and you could use it on dry cows pr fresh cows with no worries at all.

AngusLimoX":68dwqt1u said:
Angus Cowman":68dwqt1u said:

Do You think, maybe, she might visit this forum some day and see what you typed here??
And I was worried a bucking calf might neuter me! You got bigger worries!! :lol:
Nope not worried at all!!
she just figures it is part of the job

Angus Cowman":1i8btxz6 said:
AngusLimoX":1i8btxz6 said:
Angus Cowman":1i8btxz6 said:

He talks big. :lol2:

hillsdown":8g4zsezd said:
Was that a No tilt hydraulic chute. We had a regular trimmer at the dairy all the time , and that is what he had . It was called no-tilt hoof trimming and you could use it on dry cows pr fresh cows with no worries at all.

Nope, pneumatic, run by air. 2 belly straps get em off the ground and other straps lift and hold the hooves. I think it fit in with some of the tools he used on the hooves being air powered as well.

Hey Chief, keep listening to those voices! Gotta keep her happy if you want her to let you play with cows! :lol:

Just please be careful, even the most docile of animals can be aggressive right before and after they calve. Five years ago I was severely injured while checking calves. I volunteered to go and check cattle one Sunday after church, my son was working on his house and needed my husband to help him so I took farm duty. This was in February five months after hurricane Ivan had hit our area. After the storm we had pushed up downed trees and many of the piles had trees and fencing a new calf had become entangled in some of the fence wire in one of the piles. I looked around saw the cows down by the pond and assumed (yep break it down) that the calf's mamma was with the rest of them. So I decided to take the opportunity to get the little guy out of his predicament about the time I got my hands on him I heard a horrible sound of MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO but with an AOOOOOOOOOOO the rest was a train wreck. Mamma came over the debris pile caught me in the face( two black eyes,) I never really believed when people told me they had been hit so hard they saw stars until then. That knocked me down where mamma did a tap dance on my back breaking two ribs I tried to get up she hit me again breaking my shoulder I landed on my back she stepped on my chest and broke two more ribs on the front side. About this time I really felt I was going to die I started crawling (I couldn't get up) and drug myself under the debris pile the only thing hanging out of the pile was my feet. I then found my Nextel phone in my jacket pocket (how I didn't lose it I will never know I just think it was a God thing) and I tried to call my husband for help. I think the dang cow heard the beep beep of the Nextel because she made one more pass at me pushing my foot into the ground with her head (broken foot) this was not a cow that had ever given us a problem I have no idea what set her off. I don't know if I would have actually made it except that during all of the commotion the calf finally panicked and pulled himself out of the wire once free he and momma just trotted off. I survived but still have scars and a healthy fear and respect of new mommas. I should add that at this time we had been in the cattle business 15 years I knew better than to mess with the calf with mamma there and me by myself I just didn't see mamma, a perfect example of letting my guard down and the cost was high.

I posted this awhile back on another thread just to try to make folks think before going out and taking hold of a new born calf. I wasn't a newbie around cattle I just did something stupid and paid a huge price for being a dummy. The cow was just doing her job being a good mamma (I still tend to think she was a bit on the extream side of protective)

http://www.gizmoangus.com
http://www.gizmoangus.blogspot.com

jedstivers":15jpehgp said:
Angus Cowman":15jpehgp said:
He talks big. :lol2:[/quote]
Now Jed you know what all she does around here and what an A$$HOLE of a boss she has
He77 most people would quit if they had to work for him

Latest posts