cows sucking off other cows

Help Support CattleToday:

jillaroo

Reaction score
So last year I "caught" a cow sucking off other cows during calving. She was bred, so I put a bull ring in her nose to try and curb the behaviour. I suffered through with her all summer as she could not go on range (scared she'd get her nose ring hung up on a jackpine). Anyways, at preg check she came up bred so the manager would not let her go to town. :?
As the cows were milling in the corral, I noticed another young cow sucking off a cow.
My question; had anyone had success with other methods to stop cows sucking? Ideally, I'd ship every one I saw but the manager and I don't see eye-to-eye on this issue. Thanks!

jillaroo":uvhu6oup said:
So last year I "caught" a cow sucking off other cows during calving. She was bred, so I put a bull ring in her nose to try and curb the behaviour. I suffered through with her all summer as she could not go on range (scared she'd get her nose ring hung up on a jackpine). Anyways, at preg check she came up bred so the manager would not let her go to town. :?
As the cows were milling in the corral, I noticed another young cow sucking off a cow.
My question; had anyone had success with other methods to stop cows sucking? Ideally, I'd ship every one I saw but the manager and I don't see eye-to-eye on this issue. Thanks!

Better order in a big supply of those spiked can't suck rings.

3waycross":1bpm2gk5 said:
jillaroo":1bpm2gk5 said:

Better order in a big supply of those spiked can't suck rings.
Or get a new "manager" and hook up the trailer

I am with you Dun once one learns to steal she will never quit. That cow just became a worthless cull in my book and would be on the way to the salebarn where she has value.

Have to agree with everyone else.. we once had a bull that learned to do this after he had breed some cows that had been raised on a bottle and he left.

Maybe presenting the facts in a different light or getting another person to confirm the outcome of this problem might help to convince the manager.

For example, another assistant manager or someone who has this manager's ear could say some of the same things. This has a way of working. OR going to the owner, as a last resort.

Presenting in a different light could be another way. By this i mean, "Did you know..."
1. when a cow sucks off another cow, that calf will wean lighter making less money
2. the calf will find supplement elsewhere depleting another calf....and so on
3. a cow who supplements her calf and a cow or two will lose body condition and will be a poor breed back. Now if you have bulls in all year, this would not be noticed. But if you have a tight breeding schedule, it will stand out like a sore thumb.
4. a late cow will bring a lighter weight calf.

You will need facts to back this up so you are going to have to keep some records. Then when the manager chats about how poor this or that calf was at market, or if passing if the two of you are chatting about the herd, and the manager remarks at...that calf being a poor doer, you can then bring up some reasons why.
It is going to take some thinking out side the box on this one. Some managers are closed on ideas from some people, but not others. Some managers and people like to come to some realizations on their own and no amount of brow beating is going to change their minds. For people like this, they need to see the facts on paper of a particular instance...maybe several times.
Andt then there is the type that just feel they know best and to heck with anyone else...those are buttheads. Or they just do not care. So many animals that a live calf is better than a dead one no matter the cost.
Try it from a different approach in time. Start by keeping records and maybe documenting everything you see with this calf. In the end, hard to dispute why this calf is pottied or a dink.

Best of luck

i had some cows that were doing that,everyone of them were shorthorn and i got rid of all of them.

piedmontese":1d3tdq2j said:
i had some cows that were doing that,everyone of them were shorthorn and i got rid of all of them.
Yup, she's a shorthorn too!
Thanks RRC for shedding a different light to approach the manager. However, this guy is all about numbers so it's fair to say I'm stuck with these cows. I was just seeing if anyone had some ol' remedies for these culls (that doesn't involve me shooting her out on range). Only way she's leaving this place is if she comes up open or doesn't come home!
I have heard of cutting the membrane under the tongue. Apparently, this prevent the cow from "rolling" her tongue into a sucking position.

Suzie Q":326v3ppp said:
Wouldn't it be cheaper and easier to put weaning rings on them?
Working around a problem is rarely eaiser or cheaper then doing it right.

I meant I would rather do that than give them the operation of cutting their tongues.

Also if the problem is that they are learning it from watching other cows doing it, the rings would nip that in the bud.

He has already said that the manager won't do the right thing, so I just meant it as a last resort.

Latest posts