Cows Riding Whos in Heat?

Help Support CattleToday:

cattle60

Reaction score
This is a question that I've tried to get answered for awhile. When you have cows that are riding each other Is the cow they are trying to ride in heat or is the one doing the riding in or coming in? I've asked a few people and it is always split. Some say the one on the bottom and some say the one one the top. Just wondering what the general consensus is or for once the right answer.

Generally, I believe that if the one being ridden stands still for it, then she's the one. If not, it's probably the one doing the riding.

Rafter S":214yc6ew said:
Generally, I believe that if the one being ridden stands still for it, then she's the one. If not, it's probably the one doing the riding.
That pretty well sums it up. Whichever one will stand to be ridden is the one in heat. That's why it's called "standing heat". But the one trying to ride could be in heat or coming in to heat.

Along those lines . . . I'm totally confused about our oldest cow. Major bull activity last March - check. Then April - oops, didn't settle the 1st time. Zero bull activity since but until we weaned a couple weeks ago she was constantly getting hunched by the steers & she was the 1st in line when another cow was in heat. So I had her preg checked when we weaned & she's open. Have another cow in heat today and she's right there with the bulls, waiting her turn. What the?? (and yes, she's earned herself a spot on the next trailer).

I don't think there is a clear cut answer to this, generally it takes two to tango and if there are two on heat then they will be happy all day shagging each other. Often the cow on heat will be mounting others trying to get one interested in mounting her. There are often one or two cows in a herd that will always oblige and will be there beside the cow on heat just like a bull and will mount the cow on heat. I have one cow that I can rely on to always be with the cow on heat, since I inseminated her a couple of weeks ago she has been very quiet and keeping to herself hopefully a good sign.
When In synchronise them I cannot physically do more than a couple in one hit but I like to do them in batches of 5 so there are usually a couple coming in together with similar interests and it makes it easier to see at what stage they are at and I can stage the inseminations. I usually have a steer around that I can put in with them and I sometimes hot him up a bit with a small amount of testosterone and that keeps them happy especially if doing only one or two.
I guess it is more a matter of knowing your cows, who is due back in and experience helps you to read what is happening. Just keep observing and the picture becomes clearer each year.
Ken

wbvs58":3r0jvm3e said:
I guess it is more a matter of knowing your cows, who is due back in and experience helps you to read what is happening. Just keep observing and the picture becomes clearer each year.
Ken
Yep. Even after years of experience If you overthink it it will drive you nuts. You'r best bet by far is to go with your first impression and don't look back and remember that the worst possible outcome is they don't get pregnant because you didn't breed them.

Seems to me the alpha/lead cow does most the "heat detecting" for us, all others seem uninterested. If she's by another cow/heifer that I'm marking (especially 21 days post AI), I watch and wait and she's been pretty good at letting me know. 2 that missed round 1 sync this spring we got on non-sync'd standing heat and they took, thanks to the same lead cow, and she's a fall calver (just calved last month) so she was riding due to her own cycle, agenda, etc. Bred one 3 weeks ago and was checking her this afternoon, no one anywhere near her or interested, but i'll be watching her prob. till sat. AM to see if she draws any interest. I've learned too, if I'm second guessing if someones' riding/getting attention, i''ll come back 3 hours later or so, and if it seems to be the same line-up, well then, I'm starting to believe I'm not just imagining things ....

TCRanch":1ea4yudd said:
Along those lines . . . I'm totally confused about our oldest cow. Major bull activity last March - check. Then April - oops, didn't settle the 1st time. Zero bull activity since but until we weaned a couple weeks ago she was constantly getting hunched by the steers & she was the 1st in line when another cow was in heat. So I had her preg checked when we weaned & she's open. Have another cow in heat today and she's right there with the bulls, waiting her turn. What the?? (and yes, she's earned herself a spot on the next trailer).

Ummmm, she just had a calf!! What???? So she clearly was bred in Feb but that doesn't explain the bulls in Mar & April or getting hunched by the steers until just a few weeks ago, not to mention her perpetual "cow activity" (mid-life crisis?). DEFINITELY doesn't explain how she was preg checked open - the only possibility is that the guy that checked her is pretty small, doesn't have long arms, and she's tall & clocks in around 1900 lbs. Whatever - I'm just beyond happy we hadn't sold her yet & she has a nice healthy heifer :D

Latest posts